Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Monroe County)

Default Camping reccomendations

I'm looking for a car camping site. Somewhere that allows alcohol, has moderately okay bathrooms (camping with GF), woodsy sites, and is not congested. Lake is a bonus so I can canoe around.

I went to otter lake a few weekends ago. Super clean which was nice, but the sites were on top of each other and filled with pea gravel. The gravel is a nice touch but almost too nice lol

Default Re: Camping reccomendations

Good luck. All State Parks in PA do not allow alcohol to my knowledge. I've yet to find a campground with a bathroom where the sites were not close together. Maybe some private campgrounds. I usually recommend PA State Forest campsites as they're usually not close to any other camp sites and are free, but there is no bathrooms at any that I have been to.

(Bucks County)

We go to Blue Rocks Family campgrounds a lot. No lake, but the bathrooms/showers are female friendly. I like going there because of the hike to the Pinnacle. The campground is a short hike up to the Appalachian trail.
    Some of the sites are close together though. I feel the pros outweigh the cons.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...3B8ns8SD1iAsaQ

(Bucks County)

Google "ReCreation Land" . It's a reclamation project in Ohio, south central, and I stay there a lot. Free, you just need to 'register'. That entails filling out a form and printing it out and keeping it with you when there. Several campgrounds, all are at least 10 miles from civilization. Dirt roads access. I think all have large pond or stream, stocked fishing, open to hunting with licenses, pit toilets, well pump, and are very nice.

Promised land state park: Pickerel point has some of the nicest bathrooms around. I have always found them clean. The showers are also clean. No Motor boats are allowed on the lake except for the ranger. Electric motors are ok. IDK the rates but you can check them out on the DCNR web site. Some site are closer to the water than others.

While they may say no Alcohol I have seen it and all over the park. IMO the Rangers know it and if you don't act up there will be no problems. Can coolers are your friend. The Rangers aren't out looking for problems and are for the most part very easy going. Speeding cars are more a concern in the park than anything else I have ever seen, well besides Rattle snakes and Bears.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 302w View Post
    I'm looking for a car camping site. Somewhere that allows alcohol, has moderately okay bathrooms (camping with GF), woodsy sites, and is not congested. Lake is a bonus so I can canoe around.

I went to otter lake a few weekends ago. Super clean which was nice, but the sites were on top of each other and filled with pea gravel. The gravel is a nice touch but almost too nice lol
    If you can get a suitable portable toilet that GF will use, There are a few car campsites just up from Otter lake inside the Snow Hill picnic area that are separated by a large distance but just a fire ring and picnic table...no pea gravel.

There are a few parking lots in the state forest where you can camp if you have your own toilet...

(Cumberland County)

Check out World's End State Park. There is no lake, but it is ABSOLUTELY GORGEOUS. You'll loose cell service about 4-5 miles before you get to the park (which is perfect for my family - we use camp time to unplug from the world).

As others have already said -- no alcohol in state parks really means "we know you're drinking, just don't be obvious about it and don't cause trouble, otherwise we don't really care."

I have a feeling that the rule is there so park rangers have ground to stand on when they DO need to throw someone out for being a loud and obnoxious drunk.

For the record - at World's End, there are dumpsters for both trash and recyclable material. The recycle dumpster was full of bottles and cans for alcoholic beverages of all types.
    Soap Box - Worn out : Ballot Box - Broken : Jury Box - Pending : Ammunition Box - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by daschnoz View Post
    As others have already said -- no alcohol in state parks really means "we know you're drinking, just don't be obvious about it and don't cause trouble, otherwise we don't really care."
    ^^^This^^^^

They don't frisk you and check your coolers when enter the park.

You probably don't want to drive to the ANF, but the RV sites at some of the campgrounds are as spacious as any I've ever seen, and I have seen tents on some of them.
    Alcohol permitted, and Kinzua lake has 100 miles of forested shoreline.

(Carbon County)

I'm more into a Holiday Inn Express
    Ecclesiastes 10:2 ...........

(Susquehanna County)

Shore Forest Campground, Hop Bottom PA (N. of Scranton) lake is not huge but the sites back in the tent area are secluded