Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Berks County)

Default Re: How long do you keep your magazines loaded?

You people are going to put an eye out with all this loading and unloading. These aren't toys they're springs. Deadly deadly springs.
    Let's not forget there are still species of tropical penguins living in the Galapagos.

(Erie County)

I can say that I have mags that I loaded last century and am willing to bet that there no discerneable difference in their ability to proper feed rounds into the chamber.

(Elk County)

Y'all are taking a big change with your vehicles if your garages don't have one of these for each vehicle:

Them car and truck springs need their rest after a long day of being loaded and bounced around . . .

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Chester County)

Along the same lines as this thread, how often does everyone rotate their carry ammo? I took my carry Glock 26 to the range the other day and decided to shoot my carry ammo. I have probably been carrying the same ammo for maybe a year or so. Maybe two on the high side. I carry HydroShock 9mm, but generally shoot cheaper stuff at the range.

Much to my surprise, my chambered round produced a deafening click when I pulled the trigger. Primer had a nice, solid strike. Rechambered it and tried again. Still a click. The rest of the mag shot fine.

What a bummer that would have been if I had needed to draw and shoot in a self defense situation! Not sure if the round was a factory defect, or if maybe some oil from a past cleaning managed to deactivate the primer. I will mention that the round looks pristine from the outside. No dirt, rust corrosion, or anything else.

So how often does everyone else load new carry ammo?

Until I get to the range again to "rotate" my rounds.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Dauphin County)

Quote Originally Posted by sbmania View Post
    Along the same lines as this thread, how often does everyone rotate their carry ammo? I took my carry Glock 26 to the range the other day and decided to shoot my carry ammo. I have probably been carrying the same ammo for maybe a year or so. Maybe two on the high side. I carry HydroShock 9mm, but generally shoot cheaper stuff at the range.

Much to my surprise, my chambered round produced a deafening click when I pulled the trigger. Primer had a nice, solid strike. Rechambered it and tried again. Still a click. The rest of the mag shot fine.

What a bummer that would have been if I had needed to draw and shoot in a self defense situation! Not sure if the round was a factory defect, or if maybe some oil from a past cleaning managed to deactivate the primer. I will mention that the round looks pristine from the outside. No dirt, rust corrosion, or anything else.

I often carry the same ammo for a year or two before shooting it. I've never had it not go bang when tested after carrying. I carry Federal HST.
    I am not a lawyer. Nothing I say or write is legal advice.

(Delaware County)

Every 6-12 months. Basically when I think about it...

(Montgomery County)

Yikes that's scary. Glad it was during a test and not a defensive situation.

I probably rotate carry ammo every 1-2 years.

(Allegheny County)

I rotate my carry ammo yearly. Use it to shoot my retired LEOSA qual, then load up with new ammo.
    Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

(Jefferson County)

I have some 1911 magazines that have been loaded since sometime in the 1990's. I'll bet a box of donuts they perform without problem.

Springs deteriorate from cyclic compression/decompression, and from over-compression/decompression. However there is a set breakdown of the spring where it loses some of its tension from its initial rate, from that point it's the aforementioned compression/decompression that wears it out.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast