Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Transport a long gun to VT?

My sister is getting married in Vermont in August. The bachelor "event" is a golf outing. Since the groom got word that his future father in law doesn't play golf, his buddy is setting up shoot for us instead. Looks like a large portion of our side of the family is going to do that, instead. While I'd love to bring one of my 80% made "black guns", I dare not transport them through NY or NJ, regardless of FOPA.

But this may be a perfect excuse for me to buy a lever action rifle for myself (which I've started to really lust over). Think that is a safe bet if it's transported locked and with no ammo in the car?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Transport a long gun to VT?

I travel to VT and NH several times a year and bring my handgun with me through both NJ and NY.

IMNAL and I might not even be doing it right but:

1. Hard case for the weapon, with padlock, in back of vehicle - unaccessible by driver.
    2. Ammo in separate locked hard case. I do not carry hollowpoints through NJ. Recently I have brought with me either Ruger ARX or Underwood Xtreme Defender self defense ammo. Before I discovered these brands I simply did not bring any SD ammo with me - I just bought a box the first time up and kept it there. Target ammo and non-expanding ammo should be fine.
    3. Don't do anything to get pulled over or raise suspicion. Obey traffic laws and I personally don't put any stickers or logos on my vehicle - gun related or otherwise.
    4. Taking NJ is faster but a couple of times I just headed straight north through NY. Bad, but not as bad as NJ.

Enjoy Vermont - it's really a kinda neat place. Constitutional carry - open and concealed. And no laws against public nudity. It's got a little something for everyone.

(Montgomery County)

We'll be taking my wife's family truckster - no gadsden flags or trump bumper stickers (I don't have them either, though....)

I wouldn't overly concern myself. FOPA allows you to travel through. Print a few copies of the law, don't stop, or spend one dime in either state. I transported my LCP through NYS while travelling to NH then carried as normal. Don't allow the JBT's of NY, and NJ tell you otherwise.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by God's Country View Post
    I wouldn't overly concern myself. FOPA allows you to travel through. Print a few copies of the law, don't stop, or spend one dime in either state. I transported my LCP through NYS while travelling to NH then carried as normal. Don't allow the JBT's of NY, and NJ tell you otherwise.
    Well, i've got some time to think about it. At least the excuse to buy a lever action should work on my wife, no?

(Wayne County)

I think you are risking to be late for a party when they find that 80% especially in ny. I'm not saying you'll be arrested but definitely delayed.
    I always thinking what is more important: proving a point or getting there safe and quick.

(Allegheny County)

This seems to come up often and I always read these threads because I travel frequently up to Maine and back (where my family on my dad's side is from.) To reach the homeland, I have to either cross the people's republic of New York or Connecticut and Massachusetts.

I keep hearing about printing out Federal Laws on transport but I'm wondering if anyone who actually got caught has ever used it as a defense and won. And how much money it cost, and how long they were in jail, and how much bail was involved.

Don't take these anti gun states lightly in your planning, they can definitely fuck up your travel plans and more.

(Montgomery County)

Stop guessing.
    Spend the $15 and buy the book.
    http://www.nrastore.com/gifts/books-...ition-bk-01566 (it's the 2017 edition)
    It is foolish to travel through these states and not know the law.
    $15 is a small price to pay to avoid potential jail time and massive legal fees.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Montgomery County)

No book is going to help me. I know the laws, my concern is the leo's who don't, or simply don't care.

(Bucks County)

^^^^^ This. I can see handing a cop something to read at the side of a road or on a parking lot and s/he saying, "Show it to the judge". That's if you haven't already been taken down or worse for reaching for the paper to show it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast