Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Cannon Wide Body Safe

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I have that same safe it's normal to be a little loose ...SNIP....
    I'm sure your probably right, but I have a hard time understanding that design feature piece of "marketing". Especially since plumbing fixtures, steering wheels, handle bars on your bike, chair legs, etc. aren't supposed to function better when they're loose.

The hazard that "looseness" is intended to protect is fire. But that same looseness makes it a lot easier to stick nearly anything (crowbar, digging bar, portable grinder, etc) in the seam and eventually open the safe, defeating its intended purpose of keeping things secure.

JMO....
    - bamboomaster

(Westmoreland County)

Quote Originally Posted by HKusp 45 View Post
    I have that same safe it's normal to be a little loose and I slip pieces of appropriate sized PVC pipe trimmed to fit sights when needed over my barrels for my shorter rifles, doesn't scratch anything and nothing ever gets stuck in the barrel.
    Any worries over the digital lock? No back up key makes me nervous but they seem to be pretty solid locks!

New AR15 Forum! www.AlphaRomeo15.org All AR, No Attitude!

(Armstrong County)

I made entirely new inserts for both of my Wide body safes. The stock ones suck for anything but a single shot shotgun.
    Cut them on the CNC and bought new carpet at the craft store along with some 3M contact spray.

I turned the gun layout 90* and made a new center divider along with new ribbed barrel rest areas.
    I made a fixed shelf on one side thats about 12-14" off the bottom to use with the SBR's. Made a nice storage area for random stuff.
    Does it hold less guns, yup. But it's way more useful than the original insert
    Last edited by Nate7667; May 31st, 2017 at 07:07 PM.
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Nate7667 View Post
    I made entirely new inserts for both of my Wide body safes. The stock ones suck for anything but a single shot shotgun.
    Cut them on the CNC and bought new carpet at the craft store along with some 3M contact spray.

I turned the gun layout 90* and made a new center divider along with new ribbed barrel rest areas.
    I made a fixed shelf on one side thats about 12-14" off the bottom to use with the SBR's. Made a nice storage area for random stuff.
    Does it hold less guns, yup. But it's way more useful than the original insert
    Overachiever.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Armstrong County)

Write that down on a real piece of paper, sign it, and mail it to me please. I will frame it and hang it up....first time in my.life anyone had ever said that about me
    HGW, llc ~ Title 1 & NFA sales/manufacturing ~ Transfers - Title 1 $20 - NFA $50

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Any worries over the digital lock? No back up key makes me nervous but they seem to be pretty solid locks!
    So far so good although the "light" for the keypad is pretty stupid its red hard to see numbers with and you really need to practice finding it in the dark so it more or less defeats the purpose.
    As for the loose factor well its a residential security container and tolerances aren't as "exacting" as much as I hate to say it you get what you pay for as soon as I can dish out the cash I'll switch over to a much better safe with a verified UL rating. A safe like any other lock helps slow down a criminal and unless your paying really good money for something thats rated a lot higher than this model your taking into effect that fit and finish may slightly suffer. Mind you I have mine pretty well hidden too concealment is a good thing ......always (well OK that's my opinion but it doesn't mean I'm wrong )

This is a good overview of safes and ratings and such .... It's not too long a read but not short enough that I'm throwing it in a post.

https://www.brownsafe.com/categories...on_Levels.html

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by RocketFoot View Post
    Memorial Day specials...I got it for $599 out the door!

I have a 20" that fits fine fully extended but the 16" guns don't fit nor does my Yugo AK wood stock...I might try the dowel trick becaus I am only using 1 side for rifles and I can't put a shelf under because the 91-30's would be way too long, LOL!
    Driveway markers, Fiberglas, no moisture / rust problems down the road. Go easy so you don't scrape the crown and use rust shield.

I have the wide body also. (Safe that is). I use a small sheet of drywall to raise the bottom where my carbine(s) are to reach the top of the barrels.
    In less than a month, I switched my safe over to an S&G electronic lock. Hell the S&G lock alone weighed three times more than the one that came with it. I sleep better now. Oh and my door is fairly snug but the seals do expand in a fire so the fit isn't that much of a concern. Tractor-Supply Cannons are not and never will be a water-proof/flood proof safe. Just fire resistant. Maybe! :< )
    Engineers make things idiot proof! Evolution makes better idiots!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12