Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Schuylkill County)

Default AR15 trigger trouble

Just built my dad an AR for father's day.. Took it out for a test run, and it wasn't firing more than one round, and then had to manually pull the ch back and release.. I was trying to figure out what was going on, because it was chambering a new round each time, so I figured the buffer system was working OK. Eventually, I realized the trigger itself wasn't resetting properly. After a fired shot, the trigger would reset about 3/4 of the way but wasn't going the whole way.. But if I pushed it just slightly it would click and then I could fire another round. Funny thing is, when I broke it open and cocked the hammer manually and pulled the trigger, it would fire and reset every time. So I'm not sure if there is some sort of pressure being applied from the upper that is seizing it up, or what's going on. I've built lowers before, but have never had this happen. I've included pictures, just for a sanity check if anyone spots anything off that I mistakenly did... But I'm not sure what's going on..

It's a stag lower with a standard PSA parts kit. Not sure if the spring with the kit is garbage or what. Hate to just buy another LPK if it's an easy fix.

Any help is appreciated..

ETA : looks like I cant upload pics from my phone so I'll have to do that later.
    III%

(Lehigh County)

Default Re: AR15 trigger trouble

I have heard of brand spanking new assemblies having reset problems for the first dozen shots and then working OK. How many shots did you shoot? Might just need a break in to get all the parts working together, or we can see what the real experts see once you post pictures. (Pics need to be <100k,so cropping might be necessary).
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Schuylkill County)

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    I have heard of brand spanking new assemblies having reset problems for the first dozen shots and then working OK. How many shots did you shoot? Might just need a break in to get all the parts working together, or we can see what the real experts see once you post pictures. (Pics need to be <100k,so cropping might be necessary).
    I kinda thought (and hoped) that to begin with too, but I sent 30rds through and had the problem up until the last round. Before I attempt any drastic measures, maybe I'll oil it up real good again and send another 30 down range and see if it loosens up at all.

(Bucks County)

Load a single round in a magazine. The bolt should hold open after you fire it. If not it is short stroking.

While you are at it lube the carrier assembly and bolt up. A lot, I like to run mine wet.

(Bucks County)

Did you happen to notice if the trigger pin walked out on you?

(Bucks County)

Here's a reset problem discussion, some of which might apply:

http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/s...d.php?t=501525

Quote Originally Posted by NikeBauer21 View Post
    It's a stag lower with a standard PSA parts kit. Not sure if the spring with the kit is garbage or what.
    I just helped a friend out with the same problem. His parts were also PSA. I replaced the trigger spring and the sear spring. After that he said it ran perfect.

The PSA springs felt weak when I squeezed compared to the replacement springs. If you have another AR you can take apart try using those springs. If it works buy just the springs. My one LGS (Sensibly Armed) sells lower parts without having to buy the entire LPK. If you don't have a local shop that sells individual springs Sensibly Armed is in Mt. Penn/ Reading does. Its not really that far and its always nice to check out a new gun shop.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Northampton County)

A friend of mine ran into the same problem on his first build a while back. Fire one round and that was it. When we checked one of the trigger springs was upside down, We pulled the springs and reinstalled them in the proper order and orientation and all was fine. Hope your fix is that easy.

Smit

(York County)

There are a lot of things that can cause that but usually it's just the disconnector spring not seated into the trigger groove correctly. Sometimes just shooting it will smack it into place but for a quicker fix just check it and don't be stingy with lubricant running new rifles dry can bring out a lot of problems that will disappear after it gets broken in correctly. Have fun with the new rifle. EDR
    Every day's a Saturday

(Armstrong County)

Did you lube the trigger?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast