Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default NJ to PA for shooting, NOT carry

I get that NJ resident with FOID can come straight to a PA range and shoot, but is said person allowed to come to my house for dinner before or after? This person would be allowed to possess in my home. Not looking to carry, doesn't own a holster.

Default Re: NJ to PA for shooting, NOT carry

Quote Originally Posted by serpentine View Post
    I get that NJ resident with FOID can come straight to a PA range and shoot, but is said person allowed to come to my house for dinner before or after? This person would be allowed to possess in my home. Not looking to carry, doesn't own a holster.
    Technically no.

(Monroe County)

This person would be allowed to possess in my home.
    I don't know- I'm a firearms expert not a priest.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Bucks County)

With long guns its a maybe. The question boils down to if someone from NJ has to abide by NJ lays if he leaves the state (I personally think no but others have disagreed).

With a handgun its a no. Even in a relatively free state like Pa you can not bring a firearm (handgun) to someone elses house without a LTCF.

At least that's how I interpret it. I am sure someone will chime in if I am wrong.

Nj law states that you must be going to or coming from a range/gunsmith/gun store, etc for all firearms. In pa you may have a long arm in your vehicle and drive around, provided it's unloaded and ammo in a separate container. Pistols are to and from range only without a LTCF. Going to a friend's house with a pistol in your car is technically a no-no.

(Lehigh County)

Illegitimus non carborundum est

Oh so close to the Delaware River!, New Jersey

As of now a New Hampshire non resident carry permit is valid in Pennsylvania and one no longer needs a New jersey carry permit to apply. That would leave the tricky transport part between the New jersey line and the New jersey house. It is a little extra work, but if the Jersey person is still going to and from a range, i believe it meets the exception. This is a popular topic in these parts!

(Philadelphia County)

Thanks all. Is the inability to stop for dinner a result of NJ statute on transport? What about other states? Can other folks visit from other states and stay at my house with their firearm? Not carried, simply locked in their luggage.

Conversely, what about PA residents? I'm going to Maine soon, am I not allowed to transport a firearm to keep in my temp residence while there?

(Montgomery County)

Thanks all. Is the inability to stop for dinner a result of NJ statute on transport? What about other states? Can other folks visit from other states and stay at my house with their firearm? Not carried, simply locked in their luggage.
    Conversely, what about PA residents? I'm going to Maine soon, am I not allowed to transport a firearm to keep in my temp residence while there?
    Buy this book, it is worth the cash, stop guessing.
    http://www.nrastore.com/gifts/books-...ition-bk-01566
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Northampton County)

This is not legal advice. With FOID he can do whatever he wants with rifles. With handguns, Jersey law says to and from range (mostly.) PA law includes a further exception of points of assembly for the range trip. So, is it possible he could go from Jersey to the range, then to your place as a rally point, then back to the range before going back to Jersey (wink wink nudge nudge)? You got a complicated situation here, but what do you think would happen? First of all, probably nothing, second of all, probably nothing, and then there is the question of whether a cop would actually try to jack them up, and then finally whether or not an exception would be met for travel, which it seems MIGHT be. It's the last two of those events that are in question and they would have to go down quite a path to get there.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast