Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Re: Why do some people ridicule Glock enthusiasts?

Its not just their fanboys. Glock gets some of the blame for overhyping their pistols. They were supposed to be total perfection, never jam, and you could shoot one for 100,000 rounds easily. Oh, but make sure you don't shoot cast bullets or the pistol will blow up.......Then after blaming the owners about their pistols blowing up for years they finally realized it was the unsupported chamber making them blow up (so much for perfection). I think they went thru 3 iterations to try and support the chamber and they blow up less frequently now.

And don't forget, Glocks have shot more owners in the leg than any pistol on the planet (at least that is what people say).

They might not be for me but I will admit they have their role. If you like yours be happy. Just don't give me with that "perfection" BS.

(Indiana County)

Good thing JMB didn't think like some here, or he might have stopped with the Colt 1902 and the beloved 1911 might never have been born...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    If many people dislike the look of the Glock, then there must be more people that dislike the look of the Springfield XD with its muffintop look.
    That bulged out slide is irritating.
    How true! Like ugly girls, got to close your eyes to apreacheat them.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    Good thing JMB didn't think like some here, or he might have stopped with the Colt 1902 and the beloved 1911 might never have been born...
    He thought he could do better so he started on the hi-power. JMB was never satisfied. Everything he made worked. Yet he always thought he could do better. That's true perfection, as close as humans can get.

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gunsnwater View Post
    He thought he could do better so he started on the hi-power. JMB was never satisfied. Everything he made worked. Yet he always thought he could do better. That's true perfection, as close as humans can get.
    Really? Does that mean I can go out and get a 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915?
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by streaker69 View Post
    Really? Does that mean I can go out and get a 1912, 1913, 1914, 1915?
    You can, but they demand a premium.

I personally don't like Glocks but I would not ridicule someone who did.

I've even recommended one to somebody who was asking me about it.

They're just not for me.
    Last edited by RockIsland; May 29th, 2017 at 09:40 AM.

(Elk County)

I think that rabid Glock fans are probably the most passionate about guzzing the Gaston Kool-Aid, and that begs some taunting. Gaston Glock's ego doesn't help. Sure, he invented a revolutionary pistol and should get the credit he deserves for that.

But the "Glock Perfection" thing is Gaston's hubris showing, IMO, and begs even more taunting. Maybe better stated, "Continuously improving in search of perfection," of something more realistic. But that requires some humility on the part of Glock and I'm not seeing it.

IMO Glocks are not unlike ARs. Damn near everyone can "work" on them, even successfully if they possess some mechanical aptitude. They are modular like ARs, and tons of aftermarket bits exist on which owners can spend $$$, install, and feel as if they accomplished something. I did the GSSF thing and took the "Glock Armorer" course some years ago and was mildly amused that nearly everyone thought that working on Glocks and being a "Glock Armorer" was akin to the Virgin Birth. Nope, anyone with a shred of mechanical aptitude can swap parts, and Glock makes parts-swapping exceptionally easy. "Parts-Swapper" is not synonymous with "Armorer" in my opinion and experience (as a former USMC 2111 Small Arms Repairman).

I own Glocks; a few Gen 2 G19s and G17s, a G30S, a Gen 2 and Gen 4 G21, and a Gen 4 G41. I am by no means a fanboy as there are other hi-cap handguns I own and prefer more. But the G19 IMO is the "best" compromise between size, weight, and capacity in a 9mm carry gun, and the G30 is tough to beat for 10+1 rd of 45 ACP goodness in a small, concealable package. That doesn't stop me from carrying one of my beloved Hi Powers, especially the one wearing the FM Argentine "Detective" slide -- think: Commander model Hi Power. Two less rounds, and nearly the same weight and close to the same OA dimensions.

Everything in life is a compromise, a trade-off, plus & minus tallies that drive our decisions. Naturally this extends to firearms. And once we do the sums and make a decision, we are emotionally invested in that decision, as others have pointed out above. Then it boils down to a "Ford vs Chevy" debate, and I'm OK with either. Just no Mopar.

Noah
    Wisdom and knowledge shall be the stability of thy times.

(Lancaster County)

For me, I dislike Glock for two main reasons:

1. While they are a quality firearm, I feel they're put on a pedestal they are not deserving of. The point has been raised by others in the thread already that they aren't the perfect handgun as many people like to claim. Glock owners, thus far, are the only firearms owners that I've run into that seem absolutely convinced their gun is better than yours. Not all of them, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them just have no chill about their Glocks.

2. Every Glock I've ever fired feels like I'm launching a bullet out of a clanky piece of Tupperware. I've never been accurate with one nor have I been impressed with the trigger. They just seem to "bounce around" too much. I'm not opposed to polymer guns- I own an LC9s and LCP and love them. They've both been 100% reliable and I can shoot them well. What makes a Glock better than them? Nothing, at least for me.

I don't go around making fun of Glock owners unless they get up on their soapbox about them and need brought back down to reality a bit. It happens. I've yet to run into a Sig or 1911 fanboy. I'm sure the day will come. My boss is a huge HK fan, but he appreciates them for what they are, and me, being a huge CZ fan, we get along well. He is always interested in my CZ's and I like checking out his HK's. Neither of us feel our favorite firearms are superior to the others. He's even looking at picking up a CZ and I've rolled around the idea of getting an HK. That's how it should be- appreciate your favorite brand and show it off in a positive manner, not "My gun is better. Period."

(Chester County)

I have nothing against Glock, but in this day, and age, they are just another pistol. Yes, I have shot them, but I don't own any, and probably never will, but I don't own any polymer framed pistol anymore. I tried with a few HK's, but just didn't like the feel. I don't like safeties on triggers either.

(Indiana County)

Quote Originally Posted by ethangsmith View Post
    For me, I dislike Glock for two main reasons:

1. While they are a quality firearm, I feel they're put on a pedestal they are not deserving of. The point has been raised by others in the thread already that they aren't the perfect handgun as many people like to claim. Glock owners, thus far, are the only firearms owners that I've run into that seem absolutely convinced their gun is better than yours. Not all of them, don't get me wrong, but a lot of them just have no chill about their Glocks.

2. Every Glock I've ever fired feels like I'm launching a bullet out of a clanky piece of Tupperware. I've never been accurate with one nor have I been impressed with the trigger. They just seem to "bounce around" too much. I'm not opposed to polymer guns- I own an LC9s and LCP and love them. They've both been 100% reliable and I can shoot them well. What makes a Glock better than them? Nothing, at least for me.

I don't go around making fun of Glock owners unless they get up on their soapbox about them and need brought back down to reality a bit. It happens. I've yet to run into a Sig or 1911 fanboy. I'm sure the day will come. My boss is a huge HK fan, but he appreciates them for what they are, and me, being a huge CZ fan, we get along well. He is always interested in my CZ's and I like checking out his HK's. Neither of us feel our favorite firearms are superior to the others. He's even looking at picking up a CZ and I've rolled around the idea of getting an HK. That's how it should be- appreciate your favorite brand and show it off in a positive manner, not "My gun is better. Period."
    You've never run into a 1911 fanboy?

You must not get out much.
    That's not an insult, just my observation that if you hang out at any gunshop for an hour on Saturday in my area I guarantee you'll hear the praises of the almighty by God 1911 and if it's a Colt 1911 in .45 you better have not only your waders on but also some scuba gear the shit will be so deep.

Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast