Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    (Philadelphia County)

Default Re: Why do some people ridicule Glock enthusiasts?

Probably because they act like every other firearms fan boy/fudd/tactitard.

Any Amish wooden c-ring fanboys in here?
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

I've got nothing against Glocks, I just don't personally like them. I feel like I'm holding a 2 X 4 in my hand, and I don't like the sights. Still, I wanted a reliable striker-fired pistol, so I ended up going the M&P/Apex route for full-size & compact carry, and Kahr for subcompact.

Later on, I stumbled into the Sig P220-series when I bought a .22LR P229 for a great price on PAFOA. In the Newtown buying spree, I bought the 9mm conversion kit. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. I shoot it better than my full-size M&P. I like the simplicity of no external safety, and the safety of the DA pull. It feels great in my hand. I bought a couple more flavors of P220-series pistols, always used, never payeing much more than the cost of a new Glock (there's no way I'd pay $1100 for a pistol). They're my favorites now, especially the P229. Anymore, I can't even bring myself to shoot it as a .22 and get it all cruddy inside, after having Sig do the action enhancement package. The SRT triggers are great, the trigger on this one is awesome. Add in a few really nice SA pistols, and I'm strongly in the Sig camp.

So I don't do Glock, just like I don't do Apple. Apple has great products if you'll conform to doing everything Apple's way. I won't do it.

(Allegheny County)

if it ain't a first gen colt saa or prewar colt 1911 it ain't worth a toot.

(Centre County)

I've shot a lot of different handguns over the years, some I liked, some I didn't.

I have however, worked on a lot of Glocks in my business and I finally wondered why people either loved them or hated them. So I posted on two different general gun forums and asked people to tell me why they liked or disliked Glocks. I got a lot of answers both ways, got the haters, got the die hard lovers but what I didn't get (well a miniscule amount) was middle of the road opinions. It was like black and white, it was love or hate. So I did what a person does when they want to evaluate something, I got a Glock. I got, since I am a FFL, a VERY good deal from B&H Police Supply (Miami, FL) on a police trade in Gen 3 G22. The gun I got probably was never issued, no marks, the magazines didn't have any wear, etc.

Took it out to our camp and shot it (stock everything). Once I got used to the grip and trigger, I could shoot pretty good groups at 7-25 yds. Then I dolled it up, XS Big Dot sights, extended mag release, extended slide lock release, extended slide release, and 3.5# connector. Took it back out and reshot it, groups got better and I decided to keep it. To me, it's just another tool in the box to use as needed.

Then I happened on another great deal, a G22 that turned out to be a Gen 2 1/2 (no finger grooves, but 3 pin and angled ejector port). Did some talking to Glock experts and I got what was probably a transition model (due to the serial number dating). Did the same changes I did to the first one (other than put on TFO sights instead of the XS). Shoots good, I'm happy with it, still undecided about the finger grooves (my hand fits the Gen 3 just fine).

I did Cerakote both the Glocks, the Gen 3 is Blue Titianum over Sniper Gray and the Gen 2 1/2 is ACU Green over OD (I have plenty of all black guns). I also put a threaded barrel in the Gen 3 to demo suppressors.

I did win a S&W M&P40 (Carry and Range combo) at the last FOAC gun bash but haven't shot it yet to see if I want/need to upgrade the trigger. I Cerakoted the frame BAE Green to be different.

For full disclosure, my night stand gun is a SIG P229 (.40 S&W) w/ a TLR-1S mounted.

So for me the Glocks are ok, no better or worse than other guns I own, have owned, or shot. I guess I'm one of the middle of the road Glock people.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    I've got nothing against Glocks, I just don't personally like them. I feel like I'm holding a 2 X 4 in my hand, and I don't like the sights. Still, I wanted a reliable striker-fired pistol, so I ended up going the M&P/Apex route for full-size & compact carry, and Kahr for subcompact.

Later on, I stumbled into the Sig P220-series when I bought a .22LR P229 for a great price on PAFOA. In the Newtown buying spree, I bought the 9mm conversion kit. The more I shot it, the more I liked it. I shoot it better than my full-size M&P. I like the simplicity of no external safety, and the safety of the DA pull. It feels great in my hand. I bought a couple more flavors of P220-series pistols, always used, never payeing much more than the cost of a new Glock (there's no way I'd pay $1100 for a pistol). They're my favorites now, especially the P229. Anymore, I can't even bring myself to shoot it as a .22 and get it all cruddy inside, after having Sig do the action enhancement package. The SRT triggers are great, the trigger on this one is awesome. Add in a few really nice SA pistols, and I'm strongly in the Sig camp.

So I don't do Glock, just like I don't do Apple. Apple has great products if you'll conform to doing everything Apple's way. I won't do it.

Agreed. The only Glock that was remotely comfortable in my hand was a 42 that I checked out, but did not buy. Other Glocks I've held felt like a giant Lego brick, plastic and brick-shaped.
    Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

(Butler County)

Carpenters have a favorite hammer. They'll all pound a nail. Some fit your hand better than others, but they all pound a nail. Pistols are a tool to launch bullets. Same as hammers, some fit/suit you better than others. Every one has a favorite. To say yours is better is just your opinion, and nobody give a shit about your opinion.

(Bucks County)

It might stem from the fact that a lot of people who are novices, or completely ignorant, think Glock is the only real gun out there, and everything else is junk. It's probably based on popular culture (TV/ movies). I personally like Glock, although not my favorite. However, I've run into plenty of know-nothings that think Glock is the best. They never heard of Sig, HK, or CZ.

(Bucks County)

This is too funny not to post here.

Attachment 97322

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    Carpenters have a favorite hammer. They'll all pound a nail. Some fit your hand better than others, but they all pound a nail. Pistols are a tool to launch bullets. Same as hammers, some fit/suit you better than others. Every one has a favorite. To say yours is better is just your opinion, and nobody give a shit about your opinion.
    My exact feelings, Glock is the Stanley Nail Master of the gun world. For me they came along way too late and with over 50yrs. of the 1911, just do not work for me. We both tried them sometime ago and could not get the first shot out of a holster any where near our 1911's, the splits were also sad. Accuracy never was the problem it was just a slow gun to shoot and did not work in speed games, even the Glock sponsored shooters had their guns modified. Speed games are not important then why do we practices so much drawing and and shooting douple taps or Mozambique drills. We now own a G19 extensively modified, grip reworked, finger groves removed, stippled, trigger work and trigger guard relieved. If Glock had started with or in the first 10yrs. listened to the serious shooters it would be the gun we all wanted.
    Personal problems with the ergonomics yes, does this make it a bad gun No Way.
    Courage is being scared to death--but saddling up any way. John Wayne

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast