Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Berks County)

Default Scope Choice- Vortex VPLEX or Dead Hold BDC Reticle??

Need help deciding on which optic to get…
    10This is for my AR for Target shooting only out to 300yds(MAX) but mostly at the 100-200yds. I don’t just want to be able to hit a 8” Circle at 100yds I want to be to shoot tight groups at that distance as well. Even though my current rifle may not be a Sub MOA rifle I want a good Scope that I can grow into as a shooter even if that means moving it to a different rifle. I will not be using it for Hunting

Here are 2 options and some Pros/Cons
    Vortex Optics Viper HS 4-16x44 Riflescope w/ V-Plex Reticle ($350) – Same scope in DeadHold BDC Reticle is $500
    Vortex Diamondback HP 4-16x42mm Riflescope w/ Dead-Hold BDC Reticle ($360)

The Viper has much better glass, 30mm Tube and slightly Larger (44mm) BUT only comes in the VPLEX Reticle.
    For the DiamondBack the glass is ‘not as’ good as the Viper, 1” Tube and slightly smaller objective but it has the BDC Reticle which I believe is the preferred for what I intended to shoot.

I know I probably dont need that much Magnifation for 100yds but I want enough to be able to see the holes on Paper without switching to Binocs/or Spotting scope

Thanks in advance for any assistance.
    Steve

(Chester County)

Default Re: Scope Choice- Vortex VPLEX or Dead Hold BDC Reticle??

I've got the Vortex Viper HS LR with the dead hold bdc and the Diamondback 4-14x40AO in Vplex. Both are more than adequate at these ranges. Subtentions at this range are not as necessary as longer ranges.

IMHO, save your money and go with a Primary Arms FFP 4-14 ACSS. At these ranges, the higher quality glass of the Viper isn't really paramount.

http://www.primaryarms.com/primary-a...-pa4-14xffp308

Buy that guy, shoot and grow with it, and when you're ready to stretch your legs to maybe 5-600 yards, then think about a high quality scope like the Vipers, Razors, S&B, Nightforces, or the likes.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

(Berks County)

Thanks for the Response...
    I am surprised that with 60+ views only 1 person has an opinion on if it is worth the trade off between Better glass or Preferred Reticle.

Thanks for the PA Suggestion as well. See hem listed but dont really know much about them. Will have to do some research

(Allegheny County)

I know you are asking about a vortex. You won't go wrong witheither choice.

I recently purchased a PA4-14 ffp. I believe it was 229.00. I was looking at the vortex, but a first focal plane milldot scope for that price was hard to pass up. I have it on a cheapo 223 savage axis. I absolutely love the scope. My range only goes to 350 and there isnt a steel plate that can hide from me. Even the nasty little 3 incher at 275. The glass is clear and the turrets are nice. The ACSS has a really cool reticle with lots of gizmo's. I may put one of these on my next budget sniper rifle.

I had a few questions and called after hours and left a message. A rep called me the next day and we had a 30 minute discussion about the scopes, 223 ballistics and reloads. He even offered to run my reload recipes through a ballistic program to help me dial it in. I recieved a follow up call the follwing week to ask me how I liked the scope, he unexpectedly sent me a free sunshade. Talk about great customer service.

In my experience they care about their products and customers.
    Last edited by DukeConnor; May 24th, 2017 at 05:42 PM.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by SteveO666 View Post
    Thanks for the Response...
    I am surprised that with 60+ views only 1 person has an opinion on if it is worth the trade off between Better glass or Preferred Reticle.

Thanks for the PA Suggestion as well. See hem listed but dont really know much about them. Will have to do some research
    Do you always know the range to your target? Do you shoot at only one range, or do you switch between multiple targets at different ranges? These are things that would affect my choice.

The glass in the Diamondback is OK at your ranges. The bigger tube and better glass on the Viper really come into play at longer ranges (but better glass never hurts at any range). For just plain target shooting at 1 known distance, I would opt for the better glass. You will be able to grow into longer ranges with the Viper, as long as you know the distances and have time to dial in your dope. If you are moving quickly to different targets at different distances, I would go for the reticle. I don't know anything about the PA scope that ianb1116 and dukeconner suggest, but if it is acceptable glass at your range, tracks well and holds its zero, a FFP mil/mil would be an easy first choice for me. The knowledge you'll get from using it will directly transfer to more challenging precision shooting at longer and unknown ranges.

Shooting tight groups is about the rifle, the ammo, the ability of your scope and its mount to track and hold its zero, and mostly you.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Berks County)

Thanks for the info. I did some research on the PA 4x14 and it seems to be a pretty nice scope and has very good reviews. I had decided to go with only to find out that it is out of Stock for the 5.56 model.
    Just my luck.

Was hoping to get it quick so I could do some shooting on my Day off Monday.
    oh well.

(Berks County)

STC the PA Chat and found that the 308/.223 would be a better option. So I order this Kit from Optics Planet for $300 discounted from $340 after speaking to their Chat guy
    Thanks
    Primary Arms 4-14X44mm ACSS Riflescope - ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle PA4-14XFFP308 w/ Deluxe AR15 30mm Scope Mount
    Model: Primary Arms 4-14X44mm ACSS Riflescope - ACSS HUD DMR .308/.223 Reticle PA4-14XFFP308 w/ Deluxe AR15 30mm Scope MountReticle: ACSS HUD/DMR
    Code: 29R-RS-ACSS-PA4-14XFFP308-KIT1

(Allegheny County)

I hope you enjoy it. Good folks at PA.