Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default Considering a wheel gun for ankle carry

Lately I have had the urge to pick up a wheel gun for ankle/deep carry should I be dressed nicely or simply not feel like humping my G26 in the summer heat. Although that's still not bad but that's another topic. I imagine an ankle carry'd wheel gun would be easier to access while driving or at least no more difficult than an OWB setup. I used to have a 4" GP-100 that served me well so naturally a hammerless SP-101 is a thought but they are tanks like the bigger brother. While I would like to have a load of 125gr 357's, a good 38Spl would more than suffice considering the distances it would be used at. But I have also seen people mention carrying a small semi on their ankle such as an LCP or even G26. What say you, Poofa?

(Chester County)

Default Re: Considering a wheel gun for ankle carry

LCR or 642/442
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Butler County)

I'm also lookiing for a more concealable 38 myself right now. I was leaning more toward a 3" barrel. I have a 6" and 4" already. Actually the 4" is a 357 and is kind of bulky for CC, allthough I do OWB it sometimes under a big shirt.

I guess accuracy and range are still more important to me than deep concealment..... but lately Ive started giving some thought to a 2" or 2.5" snubby.

Personally I'm very attracted to the model 36/37 series of 38spl from Smith&Wesson. People do ankle-carry them too, I noticed. They come in 2" and 3" barrels and maybe others too. There are several variants, both old and new. I've been trying to find more info about their durability with +P loads.

Ive also been considering LCRx.... but I handled an LCR and really felt it was too small. LCRx may have rectified that, I don't know.

(Blair County)

ankle carry is fine most of the time just not when fishing

(Bucks County)

I ankle carry my Ruger LC9s Pro (with a flush mag floor) often and no one knows...
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

(Lancaster County)

I would think your G-26 would do fine for ankle carry, but any way you need to justify a new gun is OK with me ;-) I have an airweight 638 that goes with me just about everywhere, but it rides a Desantis Clip Grip on my waistband (OOOHH ! another option/reason for a new gun )

Cb
    Cb Μολὼν λαβέ

(Berks County)

Go lightweight. A heavy gun and rig makes your walk funny.

I ankle carried a BUG for a number of years . Revolvers have a number of advantages in ankle environment over semi's .

An all steel J frame can be done. An Airwieght J frame can be done effortlessly.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    Lately I have had the urge to pick up a wheel gun for ankle/deep carry should I be dressed nicely or simply not feel like humping my G26 in the summer heat. Although that's still not bad but that's another topic. I imagine an ankle carry'd wheel gun would be easier to access while driving or at least no more difficult than an OWB setup. I used to have a 4" GP-100 that served me well so naturally a hammerless SP-101 is a thought but they are tanks like the bigger brother. While I would like to have a load of 125gr 357's, a good 38Spl would more than suffice considering the distances it would be used at. But I have also seen people mention carrying a small semi on their ankle such as an LCP or even G26. What say you, Poofa?
    Love the Rugers but they tend to be beefier, heavier revolvers - right? Something lighter with a slimmer profile might better suit? PPS, G-42, S&W BG?? (just a few ideas)

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Love the Rugers but they tend to be beefier, heavier revolvers - right? Something lighter with a slimmer profile might better suit? PPS, G-42, S&W BG?? (just a few ideas)
    They (Ruger revolvers) are tank-ish for sure. Even a quick Google shows people prefer a 642 over most anything else. I have a G43 and hated it. I shot a G42 once and while I didn't not like it, I wasn't enamored, either. I keep coming back to either a S&W or possibly an LCR or one of it's variants.

Today looks like a beautiful day to do some window shopping.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast