Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Default Re: Used my firearm in an emergency scenario today

I once read that if a persons eyeball becomes dislodged during an accident, they put a styrofoam cup around the eye with the attached eyeball in it to keep the person from becoming to disoriented. For those that are emergency responders, is there any truth to this?

Thanks

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by internet troll View Post
    I once read that if a persons eyeball becomes dislodged during an accident, they put a styrofoam cup around the eye with the attached eyeball in it to keep the person from becoming to disoriented. For those that are emergency responders, is there any truth to this?

Thanks
    It is generally a good idea to cover both eyes during any eye injury where eye movement might make it worse (with something that does not touch the impacted eye), because, since we have binocular vision where one eye goes the other follows. Although eyes popping out of a persons socket would look super gross.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    That is a damned good question that I can't answer other than to say, although C-collars have been proven harmful, they have not been proven AS harmful as full backboards & everything else. In fact PT with collars on actually have more spinal movement. I suspect it was due to push back by people who just can't accept facts, the same people who honestly believe the world is flat & islam is peaceful, fire fighters should use smooth bore nozzles & leather helmets.

http://www.emdocs.net/cervical-colla...uma-the-facts/

This study also says C-collars should be removed, but did not consider if backboards should be used (we know they should not) and still advocated their use).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3949434/

A UK Study, which again says Collars & backboards are dangerous.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24232011

And here is a study that says putting a C-collar on basically ensures you won't be able to manage a patient's airway effectively.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24906900
    And this is why we try to keep them calm and in place til you guys get there. You are the pros. You know what you're doing.
    Unless there's other impending doom, no reason they need to be out walking around on the shoulder where they can stumble into traffic. As much as there's no reason they have to stay in the car, there's no reason they have to get out of the car. We'll get you out, when the time is right.
    Of course, if there's minimal injury and they want to come stand or sit over here, by all means, come on. If there's no injury and you just can't open the door, relax, no hurry if your not hurt, we'll get the door, rescue has the right tool for the job.
    If youre mangled up, I'd rather have you stay seated where you're at than to pull you out just so you wait for EMS on the cold hard ground. Especially if youre in pain, EMS and Fire are going to get you out of that car much more gently than I can by myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    And this is why we try to keep them calm and in place til you guys get there. You are the pros. You know what you're doing.
    Unless there's other impending doom, no reason they need to be out walking around on the shoulder where they can stumble into traffic. As much as there's no reason they have to stay in the car, there's no reason they have to get out of the car. We'll get you out, when the time is right.
    Of course, if there's minimal injury and they want to come stand or sit over here, by all means, come on. If there's no injury and you just can't open the door, relax, no hurry if your not hurt, we'll get the door, rescue has the right tool for the job.
    If youre mangled up, I'd rather have you stay seated where you're at than to pull you out just so you wait for EMS on the cold hard ground. Especially if youre in pain, EMS and Fire are going to get you out of that car much more gently than I can by myself.
    OH, I see the problem. You're not shutting the road down. Traffic? What traffic, that is how people (cops, FF, EMS) get killed. If the cars can't get off the road, that road is closed until the tow truck gets there. There are other ways around since traffic "statically most dangerous things" to EMS/FIRE/Cops. I think it is #1 for you, and number #2 for me and fire fighters.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    OH, I see the problem. You're not shutting the road down. Traffic? What traffic, that is how people (cops, FF, EMS) get killed. If the cars can't get off the road, that road is closed until the tow truck gets there. There are other ways around since traffic "statically most dangerous things" to EMS/FIRE/Cops. I think it is #1 for you, and number #2 for me and fire fighters.
    So now you're a road closure expert too? Cheezuz fuggin christo

So quick rushing to judgement.

Lemme ask you this, you get a roll-over on a limited access highway. You're the responding cop. Car ends up on the shoulder. Nearest exit prior to the scene is 4 miles behind you in a neighboring jurisdiction. Are you going to that exit 4 miles away to close the road? Or are you going to the crash scene?

Me, I'm going to the crash scene, positioning my car to shield the shoulder and right lane, then checking on the occupants.

Roadway closure doesn't happen with a twinkle of the nose, it takes some time to close stuff correctly. There's always a number of cars coming thru the crash scene until we get traffic routed. And often, the crash isn't where dispatch says it was, you gotta get there, find it, then coordinate what comes next.
    Last edited by jw34; May 25th, 2017 at 12:29 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    So now you're a road closure expert too? Cheezuz fuggin christo

So quick rushing to judgement.

Lemme ask you this, you get a roll-over on a limited access highway. You're the responding cop. Car ends up on the shoulder. Nearest exit prior to the scene is 4 miles behind you in a neighboring jurisdiction. Are you going to that exit 4 miles away to close the road? Or are you going to the crash scene?

Me, I'm going to the crash scene, positioning my car to shield the shoulder and right lane, then checking on the occupants.

Roadway closure doesn't happen with a twinkle of the nose, it takes some time to close stuff correctly. There's always a number of cars coming thru the crash scene until we get traffic routed. And often, the crash isn't where dispatch says it was, you gotta get there, find it, then coordinate what comes next.
    :-P Obviously it doesn't happen right away, but should happen as quickly as can be effected for everyone safety. Ideally the first non investigating LEO (ideally fire police) would travel to the best location for road closure (not the scene) and close said road. Everyone in public safety should be road closer experts, as roadway operations is one of the most things most likely to get us kilt dead. It causes me great distress that Light sticks are not required on all fire/ems/police vehicles, as they (when used, which PSP seems constitutionally unable to do) reduce the likelihood of a crash by between 60 to 80%.

It takes not much time to read the studies, and their proper utilization can do far more to ensure you go home at the end of the day than nearly anything else in our professions.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Cop vs. medic fight!

Galations 6:9...And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
    Ashli Babbitt - Patriot

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Cop vs. medic fight!

for two days ive been trying to figure out what to post here.... that was it. thats what the topic needed.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Delaware County)

HA! I love that gif...if only she weren't so nervous, maybe she would have turned the cap the correct direction...

Medic and JayDub both have very good points. I agree with both of you on almost all counts, because what you may both be doing is looking at opposite sides of micro/macro. The totality of a situation is often radically changed by small but fundamental circumstances that can play out like a very rapid chess game.

Now...Nerf gun fight to resolve the winner....aaand go!
    Junior

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by alpacaheat View Post
    Cop vs. medic fight!

Quote Originally Posted by ViperGTS19801 View Post
    HA! I love that gif...if only she weren't so nervous, maybe she would have turned the cap the correct direction...

Medic and JayDub both have very good points. I agree with both of you on almost all counts, because what you may both be doing is looking at opposite sides of micro/macro. The totality of a situation is often radically changed by small but fundamental circumstances that can play out like a very rapid chess game.

Now...Nerf gun fight to resolve the winner....aaand go!

Fight? I thought we were having a productive and meaningful conversation.A nerf gun fight would be unfair to him, as being senior to me in age, it is unlikely he has small children at home enabling him regular practice with that most reputable of weapons, displite his undisputedly greater familiarity with barbaric explosive based projectile weapons.

Besides, we both know better than to listen to a fire fighter. That and the fact the last time I got into a friendly pissing match with a cop, he nearly chocked to death on saltines & I nearly puked from excessively rapid milk consumption.

:-P
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; May 25th, 2017 at 03:00 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast