Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Default Re: Used my firearm in an emergency scenario today

i usually suck pretty bad but hand me a bow, nerf gun or a slug 12 ga and im gonna hit what im aiming for.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    :-P Obviously it doesn't happen right away, but should happen as quickly as can be effected for everyone safety. Ideally the first non investigating LEO (ideally fire police) would travel to the best location for road closure (not the scene) and close said road. Everyone in public safety should be road closer experts, as roadway operations is one of the most things most likely to get us kilt dead. It causes me great distress that Light sticks are not required on all fire/ems/police vehicles, as they (when used, which PSP seems constitutionally unable to do) reduce the likelihood of a crash by between 60 to 80%.

It takes not much time to read the studies, and their proper utilization can do far more to ensure you go home at the end of the day than nearly anything else in our professions.
    Studies are one thing, real life is another. Most times, our fire-police have a 1 hr ETA, and that's if they respond at all. Often, we dont have enough cops to manage a crash scene and hosed up traffic. Now throw in another call at the same time, and we're completely screwed, trying to juggle hot potatoes.
    One 'fer-intance' is a night shift a few years ago... two cops working, 25sq mi. Roll-over dui crash on the highway, 2 minutes later roll-over dui crash, pole down, wires down, car on fire, 8 miles away. 2 minutes later, domestic with injuries on the other side of town. .... that should take a minimum of 6 cops to handle those three calls, for several hours. We had to rely on Fire Dept with their extended response time to help with traffic control, and neighboring agencies who are often just as busy and dont have cars to spare.
    Sometimes we just have to do our best to control the chaos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey Bearded One View Post
    He's allowed because he's special.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Studies are one thing, real life is another. Most times, our fire-police have a 1 hr ETA, and that's if they respond at all. Often, we dont have enough cops to manage a crash scene and hosed up traffic. Now throw in another call at the same time, and we're completely screwed, trying to juggle hot potatoes.
    One 'fer-intance' is a night shift a few years ago... two cops working, 25sq mi. Roll-over dui crash on the highway, 2 minutes later roll-over dui crash, pole down, wires down, car on fire, 8 miles away. 2 minutes later, domestic with injuries on the other side of town. .... that should take a minimum of 6 cops to handle those three calls, for several hours. We had to rely on Fire Dept with their extended response time to help with traffic control, and neighboring agencies who are often just as busy and dont have cars to spare.
    Two cops and only 25 square miles...piker.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by jw34 View Post
    Every one of those fire dept should have their own fire police, in fact for legal/liability purposes every member of a Fire Company should be sworn Fire Police officers. Which gets into another, different can of worms of course. The authority to restrict people from a fire ground or crash scene, detain violators & direct traffic &l. is all vested in fire police. A lot of departments don't consider legal liability however :-(.

Hell, in an hour Penn Dot or the Township should be there, and with any luck one of the crashes was a fatality, which means the LEO's who's problem it is wouldn't be you, but the coroner. But again, I wasn't talking about DOT standards for closing roads, but things we should be doing to ensure idiots don't smash into us. Light sticks, reflective markings/lightinh going to the end of the vehicles (not just across) on the center bumper & so on.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789