Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Berks County)

Default Re: Headstamp ID 7.62x39

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You can test a round to see if the ammo is corrosive. Find a scrap sheet of iron and sand an area till it is in the white (and no oil). Pull the bullet and ALL of the powder and fire the primer at the steel with the muzzle almost touching (eyes and ears are recommended). Then clean your barrel (just in case) and let the plate sit somewhere humid for a week (or two).

If the steel rusts it is corrosive.
    Another method is to drive a nail into a board with it sticking out about 1/2 - 3/4". Then place the case over the nail and tap the primer with a small punch. I'd still recommend eye protection and perhaps gloves to be safe. I've put these test nails in my bathroom after taking a shower and corrosive usually starts to rust overnight. Also, with every test I've done personally, when the nail is immediately an orange/brown color, that ammo has been corrosive.

Commercial Ukrainian from Lugansk Cartridge Works. Boxes may have been marked non-corrosive, but as with much Eastern Bloc ammo, that is usually not true.

(Clearfield County)

The problem with threads like this is that they cause me to go looking through my x39 pile, and every time I do that I find a can full of stuff I don't remember buying. Last night I found a 30 cal can full of barnaul made lacquer coated but not sealed, without boxes but in the paper bundles. I have no idea where it came from or what the brand was.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    The problem with threads like this is that they cause me to go looking through my x39 pile, and every time I do that I find a can full of stuff I don't remember buying. Last night I found a 30 cal can full of barnaul made lacquer coated but not sealed, without boxes but in the paper bundles. I have no idea where it came from or what the brand was.
    I hear ya'! A few years ago I started putting notes in my cans for just that reason. If the ammo was in boxes when I got it, I keep one box inside the can. I've also started a 'catalog' of the stuff I bought as 'unknown' when I discover its origins.

(Susquehanna County)

Didn't find a reference for it. But here's a resource that might help at a later date.
    http://cartridgecollectors.org/?page...es#Unconfirmed

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Its some kind of Commie ammo. Good stuff for your average AK / SKS but I would treat it as being corrosive. A few minutes extra cleaning can save you a heartache.

Blast away!
    'Swhy the combloc barrels are chrome lined..easy cleanup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12