Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Default DA/SA question for LEOs

Here's a question for all you LEO's who have ever qualified with a DA/SA. When shooting a qualifier, did your department make you decock when coming to low ready in the middle of a string of fire? I'm training this weekend with my P226, and today, one of the instructors came over while we were standing at low ready and told me I had to decock every time the gun came off target. Of course I always decock before holstering, but I've never decocked at low ready.

I've never heard of this in class or in qualifying, or in private classes, or in NRA instructor training. Is this a widespread thing, or just an anal instructor or anal department thing? Shooters aren't activating safeties at low ready, and I don't see the difference between decocking and activating a safety. I'm making my DA shots anyway, so this won't affect my score much if any, but I don't like to do anything stupid unless I have to. Am I wrong here?
    Last edited by scruff; May 20th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

(Perry County)

Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Here's a question for all you LEO's who have ever qualified with a DA/SA. When shooting a qualifier, did your department make you decock when coming to low ready in the middle of a string of fire? I'm training this weekend with my P226, and today, one of the instructors came over while we were standing at low ready and told me I had to decock every time the gun came off target. Of course I always decock before holstering, but I've never decocked at low ready.

I've never heard of this in class or in qualifying, or in private classes, or in NRA instructor training. Is this a widespread thing, or just an anal instructor or anal department thing? Shooters aren't activating safeties at low ready, and I don't see the difference between decocking and activating a safety. I'm making my DA shots anyway, so this won't affect my score much if any, but I don't like to do anything stupid unless I have to. Am I wrong here?
    I've never heard of it and it's a stupid idea. You'll fight as you train. Decocking with threats still a possibility is retarded. Decock when holstering only.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post

I was never an LEO or an instructor, but as prior military that sounds idiotic.

The only reason I could see would be to become familiar with shooting a pistol at DA and understanding the difference and what it takes vs. SA. But this doesn't sound like the case.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Pete; May 20th, 2017 at 06:47 PM.

(Allegheny County)

If they want SA, next time you qualify, I will lend you my Dragoon.

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I've never heard of it and it's a stupid idea. You'll fight as you train. Decocking with threats still a possibility is retarded. Decock when holstering only.
    Thanks. The PSP is a pretty big data point.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I was never an LEO or an instructor, but as prior military that sounds idiotic.

The only reason I could see would be to become familiar with shooting a pistol at DA and understanding the difference and what it takes vs. SA. But this doesn't sound like the case.
    No, you're right, it's not to familiarize. This is an advanced state constable class, not basic.

I forgot about the military, but that's a big data point too, if they don't teach to decock an M9 at low ready.

I believe this instructor is well-meaning, and he may have worked for an organization that had this decocking rule. If so, it was probably some busybody commander or bureaucrat who pushed this on them, just like the 12-lb NYC police trigger.

(Butler County)

Out of 11 constables, I saw a bunch of Glocks, an XD, and my P226. I'm an oppressed minority! I'm a gonna self-identify as a striker-fired and file a complaint.

(Warren County)

Not LEO. Never issued .MIL handgun, so no .MIL training on that subject.

Stupid fucking rule. Stupid as a football bat.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

(Philadelphia County)

Last time I fired SA during qualification was with a S & W Model 10 from the fifty yard line in the early 1990's, so I am of no help.

But my personal opinion would agree with not having to put the safety on/not decocking.

(Chester County)

To quote Tommy Lee Jones...."Get yourself a Glock."
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon.” - George Washington

(Berks County)

How do you carry? Cocked and locked or with the gun decocked? As a previous poster stated you fight as you train. The answer is obvious.

I'll say something rude now....seems "independent contractor" is convenient for some things but not for independent decision making on how to carry your duty weapon? Cocked and locked here and Glock is not the answer nor is make it DA only especially in an advanced class.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast