Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zelienople, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    4,833
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default DA/SA question for LEOs

    Here's a question for all you LEO's who have ever qualified with a DA/SA. When shooting a qualifier, did your department make you decock when coming to low ready in the middle of a string of fire? I'm training this weekend with my P226, and today, one of the instructors came over while we were standing at low ready and told me I had to decock every time the gun came off target. Of course I always decock before holstering, but I've never decocked at low ready.

    I've never heard of this in class or in qualifying, or in private classes, or in NRA instructor training. Is this a widespread thing, or just an anal instructor or anal department thing? Shooters aren't activating safeties at low ready, and I don't see the difference between decocking and activating a safety. I'm making my DA shots anyway, so this won't affect my score much if any, but I don't like to do anything stupid unless I have to. Am I wrong here?
    Last edited by scruff; May 20th, 2017 at 09:51 PM.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Newport, Pennsylvania
    (Perry County)
    Age
    54
    Posts
    4,866
    Rep Power
    21474851

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Here's a question for all you LEO's who have ever qualified with a DA/SA. When shooting a qualifier, did your department make you decock when coming to low ready in the middle of a string of fire? I'm training this weekend with my P226, and today, one of the instructors came over while we were standing at low ready and told me I had to decock every time the gun came off target. Of course I always decock before holstering, but I've never decocked at low ready.

    I've never heard of this in class or in qualifying, or in private classes, or in NRA instructor training. Is this a widespread thing, or just an anal instructor or anal department thing? Shooters aren't activating safeties at low ready, and I don't see the difference between decocking and activating a safety. I'm making my DA shots anyway, so this won't affect my score much if any, but I don't like to do anything stupid unless I have to. Am I wrong here?
    I've never heard of it and it's a stupid idea. You'll fight as you train. Decocking with threats still a possibility is retarded. Decock when holstering only.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

    "He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

    "Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    320
    Rep Power
    8100126

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Quote Originally Posted by scruff View Post
    Here's a question for all you LEO's who have ever qualified with a DA/SA. When shooting a qualifier, did your department make you decock when coming to low ready in the middle of a string of fire? I'm training this weekend with my P226, and today, one of the instructors came over while we were standing at low ready and told me I had to decock every time the gun came off target. Of course I always decock before holstering, but I've never decocked at low ready.

    I've never heard of this in class or in qualifying, or in private classes, or in NRA instructor training. Is this a widespread thing, or just an anal instructor or anal department thing? Shooters aren't activating safeties at low ready, and I don't see the difference between decocking and activating a safety. I'm making my DA shots anyway, so this won't affect my score much if any, but I don't like to do anything stupid unless I have to. Am I wrong here?
    I was never an LEO or an instructor, but as prior military that sounds idiotic.

    The only reason I could see would be to become familiar with shooting a pistol at DA and understanding the difference and what it takes vs. SA. But this doesn't sound like the case.
    Last edited by Pittsburgh Pete; May 20th, 2017 at 06:47 PM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Allegheny County)
    Posts
    320
    Rep Power
    8100126

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    If they want SA, next time you qualify, I will lend you my Dragoon.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zelienople, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    4,833
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    I've never heard of it and it's a stupid idea. You'll fight as you train. Decocking with threats still a possibility is retarded. Decock when holstering only.
    Thanks. The PSP is a pretty big data point.

    Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I was never an LEO or an instructor, but as prior military that sounds idiotic.

    The only reason I could see would be to become familiar with shooting a pistol at DA and understanding the difference and what it takes vs. SA. But this doesn't sound like the case.
    No, you're right, it's not to familiarize. This is an advanced state constable class, not basic.

    I forgot about the military, but that's a big data point too, if they don't teach to decock an M9 at low ready.

    I believe this instructor is well-meaning, and he may have worked for an organization that had this decocking rule. If so, it was probably some busybody commander or bureaucrat who pushed this on them, just like the 12-lb NYC police trigger.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Zelienople, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)
    Posts
    4,833
    Rep Power
    21474848

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Out of 11 constables, I saw a bunch of Glocks, an XD, and my P226. I'm an oppressed minority! I'm a gonna self-identify as a striker-fired and file a complaint.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    DeepInTheWoods, Pennsylvania
    (Warren County)
    Posts
    2,051
    Rep Power
    21474850

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Not LEO. Never issued .MIL handgun, so no .MIL training on that subject.

    Stupid fucking rule. Stupid as a football bat.
    American by BIRTH, Infidel by CHOICE

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
    (Philadelphia County)
    Posts
    2,674
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    Last time I fired SA during qualification was with a S & W Model 10 from the fifty yard line in the early 1990's, so I am of no help.

    But my personal opinion would agree with not having to put the safety on/not decocking.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    "The Country", Pennsylvania
    (Chester County)
    Posts
    2,066
    Rep Power
    21474845

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    To quote Tommy Lee Jones...."Get yourself a Glock."
    "The Constitution is the guide which I will not abandon. - George Washington

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    PA, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Posts
    165
    Rep Power
    841236

    Default Re: DA/SA question for LEOs and instructors

    How do you carry? Cocked and locked or with the gun decocked? As a previous poster stated you fight as you train. The answer is obvious.

    I'll say something rude now....seems "independent contractor" is convenient for some things but not for independent decision making on how to carry your duty weapon? Cocked and locked here and Glock is not the answer nor is make it DA only especially in an advanced class.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. NRA Instructors
    By Siguser in forum Training, Tactics & Competition
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: July 15th, 2011, 10:05 PM
  2. Curious question for our LEOs here
    By HiredGoon in forum General
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: August 18th, 2009, 10:29 PM
  3. Question for LEOS
    By Lambo in forum General
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: April 2nd, 2008, 07:16 PM
  4. Any other NRA LEO Instructors here?
    By Steve in PA in forum General
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 25th, 2008, 04:05 PM
  5. Question for LEOs or Lawyers on PAFOA
    By cz_40p in forum General
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: August 3rd, 2007, 08:57 AM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops