Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Bucks County)

Default 2 day hike and camp next weekend - what's the current ruling on CCW in state forests?

So (hopefully) next weekend I'm finally going on a 2 day, 26 mile hike and camping trip with a couple friends. I've been wanting to go for a few years now and it finally seems like it might happen. In the attempt to be prepared for the possibility of a two of 4 legged threat, I want to pack my G19. Due to carrying a pack through the trails it'll be relegated to staying in said pack but I still want it. In the past I know there was laws and regs against firearms in state parks but I thought I read that those have been nullified or repealed. Can anyone confirm or deny?

(Chester County)

Default Re: 2 day hike and camp next weekend - what's the current ruling on CCW in state fore

If you have a valid PA LTCF, you can conceal carry in PA state parks, and Fed National Parks (not Fed buildings) in PA. You may want to get a chest rig (pack) for easier deployment should you need it. You can attach it to the front strap of your backpack. I can't find it, but a company makes a slim, convenient nylon chest pack that will attach to a strap, and has a Velcro tab to open the pack. It totally conceals the firearms, and doesn't look tactical, so people won't know it is for a firearm. If I find it, I will post.
    Last edited by Pilot321; May 20th, 2017 at 10:16 AM.

(Butler County)

Default Re: 2 day hike and camp next weekend - what's the current ruling on CCW in state fore

Make sure none of the parklands you pass through are under the jurisdiction of the Army Corps of Engineers. Those places do not allow civilian carry of any kind, regardless of LTC.

(Wayne County)

No restrictions on carry in state forests as long as you have your LTCF to get it there. You can OC or CC. And I know that the rangers (at least the one in Lackawanna SF) knows this. About two years or so I was just finishing up a program for DCNR at the forest and was talking to the ranger. As we were talking, two backpackers came by, one with a revolver in a drop leg holster. She started talking to them about how long they would be camping to see if they needed a permit (you need a permit for more than one night). She never mentioned the pistol at all. When I brought it up her response was "Why would I say anything? They're allowed to carry like that". Needless to say, I like working with her.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Bucks County)

Good stuff, guys. Thanks. This trip has been a long time coming so I am beyond excited for it.

(Bucks County)

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...faq-overnight/
    12. Are firearms permitted in the park?

Firearms and archery equipment used for hunting may be uncased and ready for use only in authorized hunting areas during hunting seasons. In areas not open to hunting or during non-hunting seasons, firearms and archery equipment shall be kept in the owner’s vehicle or enclosed trailer: law enforcement officers and individuals with a valid Pennsylvania License to Carry Firearms are authorized to carry a firearm concealed on their person while they are within a state park.
    Open carry is still under debate. Keep it concealed...
    "A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves." ― Edward R. Murrow

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by EB85 View Post
    So (hopefully) next weekend I'm finally going on a 2 day, 26 mile hike and camping trip with a couple friends. I've been wanting to go for a few years now and it finally seems like it might happen. In the attempt to be prepared for the possibility of a two of 4 legged threat, I want to pack my G19. Due to carrying a pack through the trails it'll be relegated to staying in said pack but I still want it. In the past I know there was laws and regs against firearms in state parks but I thought I read that those have been nullified or repealed. Can anyone confirm or deny?
    Responses have the firearms part covered. If you have not hiked in a while 13 miles a day is just a little ambitious. You will sleep well. My wife and I are older. Doing the Loyalsock trail this summer. About 8 miles or so is our comfortable max. I usually pocket carry my .380. 99% of my concern is two legged creatures. I do not understand why you would not holster your G-19? Have a great time.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hokkmike View Post
    Responses have the firearms part covered. If you have not hiked in a while 13 miles a day is just a little ambitious. You will sleep well. My wife and I are older. Doing the Loyalsock trail this summer. About 8 miles or so is our comfortable max. I usually pocket carry my .380. 99% of my concern is two legged creatures. I do not understand why you would not holster your G-19? Have a great time.
    It will be in a holster but kept inside of my pack. I wouldn't even consider having it bounce around with no trigger protection. I've been trying to build up my stamina for a little while now between cardio at the gym, a little extra strength training and a few walks around Peace Valley whenever possible to get acclimated to some distance.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by djeuch View Post
    http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...faq-overnight/

Open carry is still under debate. Keep it concealed...
    State forest =/= State park

Different rules for different areas. State parks do not allow camping or fires outside designated camp sites. State forests allow primitive camping mostly everywhere and fires most of the yesr outside of brush fire sesson. Don't confuse the two.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pilot321 View Post
    If you have a valid PA LTCF, you can conceal carry in PA state parks, and Fed National Parks (not Fed buildings) in PA. You may want to get a chest rig (pack) for easier deployment should you need it. You can attach it to the front strap of your backpack. I can't find it, but a company makes a slim, convenient nylon chest pack that will attach to a strap, and has a Velcro tab to open the pack. It totally conceals the firearms, and doesn't look tactical, so people won't know it is for a firearm. If I find it, I will post.
    I'm gonna second the chest rig idea. A front pack that actually hangs from the main pack straps provides nice balance.