Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    (Perry County)

Default S&W Shield...consider me a fan.

I couldn't resist $225 after rebate for a new S&W Shield in .45 ACP. I tend to go toward 9mm for carry guns due to increased capacity outweighing the minimal advantage of bullet diameter. I didn't think the one extra round of 9mm was worth it in the single stack Shield. I got it about a week ago and was undecided whether I should move it into my personal collection or put in inventory for sale. Curiosity won the day and I loaded up the mags and walked out the door.

My target is a half-scale steel silhouette 30 yards from my front porch. If I hit it with my LCP, it's pure luck. If I hit with my Model 19 snubby, it's pure luck. I didn't have high hopes given the relatively small size and short sight radius of 5.5 inches. I can ping it all day with my 5" and 6" barrel guns.

First shot, ping. Next 3 shots, pings. A miss then the next two were pings. One miss with the 2nd mag as well.

Trigger isn't a target trigger but as good as any Glock trigger without the index finger rub all Glocks give me. Mags are a bitch to load but I'm hoping they ease up with use. Overall hand feel is about perfect for me with grip angle, reach and stippling. Muzzle flip is very reasonable and sights fall back on target without regripping.

Looking at how slim it is, it looks like it will be a comfortable IWB gun and should disappear under a T-shirt.

If you're looking for a carry gun on the cheap, go to Palmetto State and order yourself one.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

Default Re: S&W Shield...consider me a fan.

My only complaint is my Shields 9mm and 45 acp the magazines are a bitch to load to capacity !

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by MARINE DIVISION TWO View Post
    My only complaint is my Shields 9mm and 45 acp the magazines are a bitch to load to capacity !
    You're saying the 45 mags are sprung tighter?

I have a similar impression and am trying to figure out how to get another while they are available at crazy prices.

(Bucks County)

Probably the best firearms deal In our lifetimes

Great carry guns for sure
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

(Bucks County)

Probably the best firearms deal In our lifetimes

Great carry guns for sure
    Its easier to fool people than to convince them they've been fooled....Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    You're saying the 45 mags are sprung tighter?
    A bit easier since the diameter is larger than the 9 but still a bitch to load to capacity.

(Allegheny County)

Buy a Maglula UpLULA, it made loading the new 45 a breeze.

https://ads.midwayusa.com/product/95...FcdMDQod10sAow
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=22341&dateline=139092  6582

(Chester County)

When looking for a new carry gun for Ms Grip, we were able to rent and shoot a big variety of guns. I really don't like striker guns (no rational reason) but we both shot so much better with the Shield that it was an easy decision. The mag problem was easily solved with a Uplula. The slide is stiffer than she wants, but we got the model with the thumb safety so we are both happy that she doesn't have to rack it under pressure. After a few range trips, she is comfortable flipping the safety as she draws.

If the price is that low, I am going to buy one for myself tonight.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Butler County)

A bit easier since the diameter is larger than the 9 but still a bitch to load to capacity.
    Oh, ok.... YES. My 9mm mags are also a bitch to load. Only thing which is bogus about the Shield, IMO. The 45 mags for my Bersa load like butter. Plus 45 cases are easier to get a grip on. That's something 45ACP really has going for it which outweighs the importance of the nominal edge in terminal ballistics it has over 9mm. My Bersa is also double-stack which adds to the ease of loading.
    Last edited by FJW; May 20th, 2017 at 11:16 PM.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast