I couldn't resist $225 after rebate for a new S&W Shield in .45 ACP. I tend to go toward 9mm for carry guns due to increased capacity outweighing the minimal advantage of bullet diameter. I didn't think the one extra round of 9mm was worth it in the single stack Shield. I got it about a week ago and was undecided whether I should move it into my personal collection or put in inventory for sale. Curiosity won the day and I loaded up the mags and walked out the door.

My target is a half-scale steel silhouette 30 yards from my front porch. If I hit it with my LCP, it's pure luck. If I hit with my Model 19 snubby, it's pure luck. I didn't have high hopes given the relatively small size and short sight radius of 5.5 inches. I can ping it all day with my 5" and 6" barrel guns.

First shot, ping. Next 3 shots, pings. A miss then the next two were pings. One miss with the 2nd mag as well.

Trigger isn't a target trigger but as good as any Glock trigger without the index finger rub all Glocks give me. Mags are a bitch to load but I'm hoping they ease up with use. Overall hand feel is about perfect for me with grip angle, reach and stippling. Muzzle flip is very reasonable and sights fall back on target without regripping.

Looking at how slim it is, it looks like it will be a comfortable IWB gun and should disappear under a T-shirt.

If you're looking for a carry gun on the cheap, go to Palmetto State and order yourself one.