Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Ruger American Predator or Savage 10 FCP-SR

Was planning on getting a RAP in 6.5CM in the next couple months but then I found the Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5CM on sale for $550 plus $100 MIR. RAP is running around $350-400 so for ~$50-100 more after rebate is the savage worth it?

Both are free floated with "accu" triggers from each company.
    Both are polymer (plastic stocks)
    Both are threaded
    10 has 24" heavy barrel and 10 rnd mag
    RAP has 22" "heavier" barrel (more than sporter barrel) and 4 rnd mag

Has anyone used both to know accuracy etc on them? I've seen the great reviews on the RAP and a guy shooting it 1 mi but nothing comparing the two. all compare the RAP to the axis heavy.

Originally my plan was to buy in ~August but MIR has to be sent by end of July on Savage.

(Delaware County)

Default Re: Ruger American Predator or Savage 10 FCP-SR

i have a ruger in .308 and love it. its a 1 moa or better rifle with match ammo. the bolt is good, and the trigger is great. the stock is light and flimsy but i have heard the savage is just as bad. better news is magpul i releasing their Hunter stock which should be huge upgrade, and it uses acis mags

(Lackawanna County)

In 6.5 the barre length matters. That and ten round mag and a true heavy barrel would lean me that way. I do think the rugers are nice though

(Centre County)

Though the Ruger American is a very nice rifle for the money, I don't think that I would pass up the Savage for that deal. The stock on the American Predator models are just not very good quality, and if you were going for superb long range accuracy you would probably change it out at some point. That being said, the Ruger is going to be lighter than the Savage. If you're looking for a rifle primarily to carry around and hunt with, I'd go with the Ruger because it's lighter. The Savage would be better suited for you if you're going to shoot mainly from the bench, or just plain target shoot in general without having to carry the rifle around.

You'll be happy with either rifle, I'd just try to get the one that suites your needs the best.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by yeahbuck36 View Post
    The stock on the American Predator models are just not very good quality, would probably change it out at some point.
    lets be fair, the stock on both are pretty crappy. the savage has a slightly better stock, but not good by any means.

it all comes down to use. to be honest neither of them are good for hunting in the area we are in, where shots are normally from 150 yards or less. if its paper punching, then they both are pretty accurate with nice triggers. if you are going to do long range shooting then neither stock is going to be up to snuff, and it should be changed out. that being said. the reason i chose the RAP over the Savage was because it left me with more money to put towards a nice scope to begin with.

Quote Originally Posted by messeduprex View Post
    lets be fair, the stock on both are pretty crappy. the savage has a slightly better stock, but not good by any means.

it all comes down to use. to be honest neither of them are good for hunting in the area we are in, where shots are normally from 150 yards or less. if its paper punching, then they both are pretty accurate with nice triggers. if you are going to do long range shooting then neither stock is going to be up to snuff, and it should be changed out. that being said. the reason i chose the RAP over the Savage was because it left me with more money to put towards a nice scope to begin with.
    This is why I'm probably going to buy the Ruger Predator in 6.5CM. I've been looking at the Savage 10 FCP-SR and the BA Stealth 10 for a few months. I was leaning towards the Stealth because of the MDT chassis and the price point put it a few hundred under the RPR. I had thought about getting a RAP and put it in an MDT chassis, but by the time I add a good AR stock and grip, I'm into it for more than the Savage BA Stealth with the same chassis.

The Magpul Hunter American stock sweetens the deal. The Remington 700 version is pretty well regarded. And it's half the price of an MDT chassis. At that price point I figure I can put together a pretty good budget rifle to get into long range fun. The drawback is the Hunter American stock isn't due out until late this year - if Magpul actually delivers. As a stop gap, I'm planning to use this synthetic stock stabilizer product from Terminal Ballistics Research. I've read some good reviews about it helping with firming up an otherwise crappy plastic stock.

(Chester County)

Update: I ending up ordering the Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 creed haven't gotten it yet but it was a great deal @ $560 with $100 MIR making it $460 in the end. Gives me heavy 24" barrel, threaded for brake/suppressor. Comes with a 10rnd mag but a couple people that own them say the 4rnd mag fits it too for hunting. Plus factory mounted 20 MOA rail and 3 sling studs for a sling and bipod. Weighs about 9lbs, so right around what my shotgun does when hunting. Chassis wise I found a couple options around $200-300 for the model 10 that supposedly fit this. For the time being I'm hoping the stock is adequate. At the price I paid (in the end) I think the $60 premium over the RAR for the true heavy barrel and 2" extra inches length was worth it. Seems to be a lot more aftermarket parts for the savages too.

(Bucks County)

Do the chassis you are contemplating have the innards to duplicate the Accustock system? Could you tell me the sources? I have a 10-FCP-K.

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    Update: I ending up ordering the Savage 10 FCP-SR in 6.5 creed haven't gotten it yet but it was a great deal @ $560 with $100 MIR making it $460 in the end. Gives me heavy 24" barrel, threaded for brake/suppressor. Comes with a 10rnd mag but a couple people that own them say the 4rnd mag fits it too for hunting. Plus factory mounted 20 MOA rail and 3 sling studs for a sling and bipod. Weighs about 9lbs, so right around what my shotgun does when hunting. Chassis wise I found a couple options around $200-300 for the model 10 that supposedly fit this. For the time being I'm hoping the stock is adequate. At the price I paid (in the end) I think the $60 premium over the RAR for the true heavy barrel and 2" extra inches length was worth it. Seems to be a lot more aftermarket parts for the savages too.
    That's a good deal. At that price, I may rethink my RAP plan. Where'd you find the MIR? I'm not seeing anything on Savage's site about $100 off. Also, who'd you order the rifle from?

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Ronin View Post
    That's a good deal. At that price, I may rethink my RAP plan. Where'd you find the MIR? I'm not seeing anything on Savage's site about $100 off. Also, who'd you order the rifle from?
    Grabagun.com has them at that price....

http://grabagun.com/savage-100.html
    I don't watch shark week. Sharks watch FLICK week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast