Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default U.S. Rifle - Caliber .30 - M1 (Garand)

I'm looking for someone in the NW part of the state who has the gauges and detailed knowledge to do an inspection on mine.
    I just want to make sure the old girl is still OK. So if you know anyone please let me know how to get in contact with them. TIA
    My one stipulation is I'm not leaving my rifle anywhere with anyone for any reason.

I've also been looking at bayonets, I have the original 10" but would also like to have the 16".
    Originals are pricey but I found a reproduction available. Has anyone dealt with this place before?
    http://www.ima-usa.com/u-s-wwii-m1-g...-scabbard.html

Anywhere you would recommend for parts and accessories?

Other than that, feel free to use this thread to post pics of yours or just generally BS about Garands!

(York County)

Default Re: U.S. Rifle - Caliber .30 - M1 (Garand)

i have gauges and parts, but i cant help you since you are kind of over protective of your rifle at the moment. that being said, someone with gauges can do what you need in 10 minutes or less and could actually be done at a gun show. finding someone to do that though may be tough.

original 16 inch blades are not that expensive and can be had for $200 or less. the 10 inch blade would be correct for a WWII garand so unless you feel you need to have a super early bayonet on a possible post war garand.....then its best to just stick with what you have. parts shouldn't be an issue as they are commonly found on eBay. they might not be cheap depending on what you need, but its tough to tell you any info on your rifle as you haven't posted any info to help us give you info on it.

stay away form reproduction junk. it never holds value, and can do some damage to the finish of your rifle if you install or use them on your rifle.

(Chester County)

Here's one for you - the auction "goes off" in about 7 days:

https://auctions.thegunrunner.com/lo...-scabbard-wwii

Place Bid
    Current $150
    Timed Auction (7d 1h 2m 40s)
    Lots 301-350
    Category
    Rifle, Military

Lot 302
    Description

M1 Garand bayonet. 16" blade is in very good condition with 90% finish. Made by U.C. back in 1942. Black plastic lined grips are complete are complete and in really nice condition. The scabbard and metal fittings are very nice and show expected wear. Scabbard paint is 90%. A nice complimentary piece for your WWII M1 Garand or 1903A3.

Attachment 97118Attachment 97119

In any event, you'll find out what FMV is for the 16" bayonet is by the end of the auction. Since you have a real Garand, shouldn't you have a real bayonet?
    - bamboomaster

Quote Originally Posted by Marines55 View Post
    i have gauges and parts, but i cant help you since you are kind of over protective of your rifle at the moment. that being said, someone with gauges can do what you need in 10 minutes or less and could actually be done at a gun show. finding someone to do that though may be tough.

original 16 inch blades are not that expensive and can be had for $200 or less. the 10 inch blade would be correct for a WWII garand so unless you feel you need to have a super early bayonet on a possible post war garand.....then its best to just stick with what you have. parts shouldn't be an issue as they are commonly found on eBay. they might not be cheap depending on what you need, but its tough to tell you any info on your rifle as you haven't posted any info to help us give you info on it.

stay away form reproduction junk. it never holds value, and can do some damage to the finish of your rifle if you install or use them on your rifle.
    From what I can tell mine is exactly how it left Springfield in Feb. '45...that's why I'm a little protective of it.
    Seriously, dead nuts original but I'm no expert.

A well respected member here has reached out to me and we'll be getting together hopefully soon.

IMA = cheap repro junk.

Why cheapen an apparent "all correct" M1 with fake repro accessories?

(Butler County)

http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx Go here. This my go to place for Garand stuff. It has more info than you would ever think. Every little part.
    Put in your serial number and you'll get a list of what it should have to be "correct". The CMP forums are also a wealth of knowledge on M1's
    Last edited by bortle; May 20th, 2017 at 09:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Seabee CO View Post
    IMA = cheap repro junk.

Why cheapen an apparent "all correct" M1 with fake repro accessories?
    The more I thought about it the more I leaned this way.

Quote Originally Posted by bortle View Post
    http://usriflecal30m1.com/Default.aspx Go here. This my go to place for Garand stuff. It has more info than you would ever think. Every little part.
    Put in your serial number and you'll get a list of what it should have to be "correct". The CMP forums are also a wealth of knowledge on M1's
    That's the site that gave me the info that is leading me to believe mine is original.

With any luck I'll find out real soon.

(Butler County)

I don't know if it's possible to be proven original without the proper paperwork/documentation. It can be correct, as in every part is correct for the time it was made. And they do mean every little part. M1's are my favorite milsurp.

I know, it's one of those things that needs to be seen to be believed.

From what I can tell all the parts are correct and seem to have identical wear marks.
    All stamps are present and in the right spots. No paper work is the bummer.
    The guy I bought it off of just want someone who appreciated the old girl. He had no one in his family who did.
    He also told me I was the third owner.
    I'll know for sure next week what I have.

It's official...she's a shooter.
    However this will be strictly a occasional thing.

And she deserves a better pic than this but the batteries in the real camera were dead.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast