Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Shipping for warranty work

I have a pistol I need to ship to manufacturer for warranty work. Looking at FedEx and UPS (can't do USPS as not FFL) was going to cost $80-90. Called one LGS and they said they ship it at cost for USPS (maybe $20) but I'm gonna have to pay FFL xfer fee to get it back (I believe theres is $40 so I'm up to $60). Has anyone shipped pistols to manufacturer before and got a better price or know a better option?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Shipping for warranty work

When I sent one back to S&W, they sent me a pre-paid label. I didn't have to pay to ship it to them.

Have you contacted the manufacturer and see if they offer you any options?

(Chester County)

yes I just contacted them. They will sell me a prepaid label for $50. so a little bit of savings at least.

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by free View Post
    When I sent one back to S&W, they sent me a pre-paid label. I didn't have to pay to ship it to them.

Have you contacted the manufacturer and see if they offer you any options?
    Great suggestion Free - among your other commendable talents, you also know how to save folks money...
    - bamboomaster

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by jlb0305 View Post
    I have a pistol I need to ship to manufacturer for warranty work. Looking at FedEx and UPS (can't do USPS as not FFL) was going to cost $80-90. Called one LGS and they said they ship it at cost for USPS (maybe $20) but I'm gonna have to pay FFL xfer fee to get it back (I believe theres is $40 so I'm up to $60). Has anyone shipped pistols to manufacturer before and got a better price or know a better option?
    Why are you paying a transfer fee when the gun is returned?

I've shipped guns to S&W, Sig Sauer and Taurus for warranty work and have never had to have the guns go through an FFL on return.

https://www.atf.gov/resource-center/...aspdf/download
    6. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines?
    Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm. However, handguns and other concealable firearms are not mailable through the United States Postal Service and must be shipped via private common or contract carrier (18 U.S.C. § 1715). The USPS and private common or contract carriers may also have additional restrictions on firearms shipments by unlicensed persons. Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence. FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received (18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A)). An ATF Form 4473 is required for the return of the firearm, except in instances when a firearm is delivered to a licensee for the sole purpose of repair or customizing, and the same firearm or a replacement firearm is returned to the person from whom received (27 CFR § 478.124(a)).

(Centre County)

The FFL shipping it out can receive it as a gunsmithing job, ship it to the warranty place and either tell the warranty place to return it to the customer directly or return it to the shipping FFL. If it is returned to the shipping FFL, the FFL can then give it back to the owner without doing a BGC (or even a 4473) as per ATF regulations because it came in as a gunsmithing job. The FFL cannot however, give it back to anyone else (someone picking it up for the customer) without a 4473 and BGC.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Philadelphia County)

There's no transfer involved when it comes to a FFL dealer sending a firearm off for repair. The advantages of using a FFL are that they can use the USPS at a much lower rate than UPS or FedEx and will be able to receive the gun when it comes back without you having to be at home nervously waiting on it. The serial # and description simply goes into the FFL's repair book, not the transfer bound book. Easy peasy.
    Those who dare.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Pointman73 View Post
    The advantages of using a FFL are that they can use the USPS at a much lower rate than UPS or FedEx and will be able to receive the gun when it comes back without you having to be at home nervously waiting on it.
    You don't have to be nervous waiting at home for anything. Just have it shipped to your local FedEx/Kinkos and go pick it up.

(Bucks County)

If the manufacturer won't pay shipping charges take the pistol to Tanners and let them ship it, I've found Tanners charges less than other FFL"S in the area to ship firearms. Who's the manufacturer so I know what firearm not to buy? I had an issue with a FN FNX9 and they paid shipping both ways for warranty work

Yep, sent one back to Springfield for warranty work last year. They gave me a prepaid label, and instructed me to take it to one of the local mail rooms that deals with shipping parcels through your choice of carriers. The label was for Fed Ex. I did have to supply the shipping box, but already had a suitable one on hand. They never The gun was returned about a week and a half later, and shipped direct to my house. No FFL transfer needed. Based on the shipping confirmation, I was able to arrange to be home when it was delivered. If not, I could also have picked it up at the Fed Ex terminal. A signature will be required, so it will not be left unattended on your porch. The box they shipped it back in was nondescript, and did not have the companies name on it. At no point in time was it likely that anyone else new what was in the box.
    "The Intelligence Of The People Is The Security Of The Nation" We're doomed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast