Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    (Centre County)

Default Re: Groups going from 1/4" to 3"

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    What bullets have you used for general plinking and how many? Have you hunted with soft points or hardcast?

Also, doesn't the 527 come with polygonal rifling in some cases?

Polygonal rifled barrels are prone to lead fouling. Just thinkin...
    I've only shot this load with 50 Gr V-Max, and some factory Hornady 55 Gr Spire Points. Total round count is around 200, most being the factory load.

(Butler County)

Ok, sorry if I missed that.

(Bucks County)

The photos look like yawing bullet strikes to me...oval-shaped. I once tried to shoot A-Max in my 22-250 and noticed yaw at 100 yards. I phoned Hornady and who I spoke with quickly informed that my 1-14 would not stabilize an A-max. A phone call to Hornady CS, asking for a tech, may resolve the situation with suggestions as to what should work for you. I know you did not say A-Max. I'm just saying how helpful Hornady people are.

(Westmoreland County)

There's a lot that goes into the too fast too slow twist thing especially in the 22 caliber , lots of factors involves bullet length , speed , bore quality , bullet quality , bullet construction , Ect . Yes you can over spin a bullet and have it blow up into dust 20 feet out the barrel seen it happen . Ive also seen some very short light bullets shoot amazingly well in fast twists. I used to shoot the stubby little flat base midway brand dogtown 50 gr bullet in a 1:8 twist shot wonderfully out to 300 yds also seen 55 gr soft points hold Moa out to 500 yds in 1:7 barrels and that was a 10 rd group so no fluke. Can short
    Bullets work in fast twists ? Yes they can ! Like I said in the beginning lots of factors involved not just twist rate as a blanket statement to say that's what's causing issues .

I know that just because someone has a 1:9 twist barrel, that their barrel may not like say a 55gr bullet. Every barrel is different that is for certain.

That being said, it's strange that your load works well at 100 yards and at 200 yards it opens up.

What I would do is clean the rifle...get some factory ammo in the 55gr and start from there. I'd also be curious what optics you are using.

I'm not trying to nit pick, but 3 rounds isn't enough for me to consider it a group...go 5 rounds or more to get a better ideal. From your picture, I wouldn't say you have a .25 rifle as you indicated in your OP.

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I know that just because someone has a 1:9 twist barrel, that their barrel may not like say a 55gr bullet. Every barrel is different that is for certain.

That being said, it's strange that your load works well at 100 yards and at 200 yards it opens up.

What I would do is clean the rifle...get some factory ammo in the 55gr and start from there. I'd also be curious what optics you are using.

I'm not trying to nit pick, but 3 rounds isn't enough for me to consider it a group...go 5 rounds or more to get a better ideal. From your picture, I wouldn't say you have a .25 rifle as you indicated in your OP.
    I've shot it with some 55gr factory ammo, most of my groups were in the 1/2 to 1 inch range. That was just some cheap Hornady 55Gr spire point. It's topped with a Nikon Monarch 5 3-15x40. I think the group in the first picture was the first group (or one of the first) I ever shot out of this rifle with those handloads, it is not necessarily indicative of the other groups that it has shot. Last night I worked up a few loads with some 65gr Sierra Gamekings, may try and get out today and see how they work out. I'll take pictures and post the results if I go out. I also have a variation of the same 50gr load with a shorter O.A.L that I'm going to see how it works.

Again, thanks everyone for all the advice. Right now I'm leaning towards my original assumption that my twist may not like those 50 gr bullets. Or that possibly my seating depth is just off. Or... maybe I'm just a shitty shot at 200 yards.

I respectfully disagree... if the bullets didn't like the 1n9 twist... they wouldn't shoot well at 100yds.

I believe it was the wind.

As for different bullets...

I suggest these... Un-Cataloged Hornady bullets... But danged accurate.

https://www.midsouthshooterssupply.c...lure-500-count

Read this thread.

http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread....-62-grain-BTHP

(Centre County)

Went out today and shot some groups with a few different handloads that I worked up over the past few days. All were a 65 gr Sierra Gameking over varying charges of BLC-2, 8208 XBR, and IMR4198. Groups ranged from about 1 1/4" to 2", most groups were closer to the 2" mark, and were all pretty consistent with point of impact. Will use the rest of those bullets up for some around the house utilitarian use as I'm not super impressed with the results I got. Fired some more 55 gr factory stuff as well, and was getting groups about 3/4".

At this point in time, I'm leaning more towards having an issue with OAL that would be causing stringing at distance. I went back through and measured the 50 gr cartridges that I was having issues with at 200 yards and noticed that my OAL was .02 over what I had it listed on the label. Not sure if that was just a mistake I made when I was labeling, or if I set my seating stem incorrectly and just never caught it, even after loading a few hundred rounds.

Regardless, gonna go back to square one on setting my OAL for the 50gr V-Max load. I really like that 21.9 gr charge of IMR4198, and it has worked well in multiple guns in the past. I'm going to try and keep this thread updated, but it looks like with the weather this coming week I probably won't have very many chances to get out and test some other loads.

Back to the bench!!!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123