Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    (Butler County)

Default Toughest 38's for +P ammo

I have two 357's. I carry one of them as a CCW sometimes with +P ammo loaded usually, but it's a little bulky for CC. What I want to do next is pick up a true compact 38 with a 3" barrel which isnt heavier than about 27oz (+/-)...but I want to be able to handle +P all day everyday if I want. I probably will shoot like half&half +P and standard loads at the range.

I want to know which models have a reputation for handling full power 38's. I know if we were talking 357's I'd probably hear alot of SP101 and S&W60 replies. That's fine. Both are great guns and probably actually more ideal than any real 38.....but I generally just want to know about real 38's in this thread. So please have at it! I'm a little more interested in six-shooters... but that's not set in stone at all.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Toughest 38's for +P ammo

640-2

(Butler County)

That's kind of nice but a quick google for pix doesnt seem to show any 3" versions. I also prefer an external hammer. Stainless is also a plus but not neccessary. Sorry, maybe I left one or two of those things out of my original criteria.

(Lehigh County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    That's kind of nice but a quick google for pix doesnt seem to show any 3" versions. I also prefer an external hammer. Stainless is also a plus but not neccessary. Sorry, maybe I left one or two of those things out of my original criteria.
    I used to have a 640 with a three inch barrel. But like you, I decided I like having a hammer available.
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

(Westmoreland County)

I had a Taurus 85 with a 3 inch barrel it was an older model steel framed that shot well and didn't have any issues with . I wouldn't have any second thoughts about feeding it a steady diet of +P loads. As you mentioned a SP101 is a good option and by far the strongest built in 5 shot revolver thought it's bigger than a smith J frame just a touch smaller than a round butt model 65 it's one of those in between sizes . Colt I believe made some agents and detective specials in 3" barrel lengths but there gonna be as much or more than a new smith and Wesson if you can find one but their 6 shot not 5 about the same size as a ruger . 101

(Butler County)

Taurus 85 caught my eye more than once. I don't know what to think about the occasional QA issues. One of my 357's is a CA Bulldog with a 6" barrel. It actually shoots pretty nice with Pachmayr grips and is more ergonomic than my Dan Wesson. The thought of grabbing a 3" version has crossed my mind. And then there's the CA Undercover too....

I'm not trying to limit myself to a budget pistol, but getting good bang for the buck is nice if I thought QA wouldnt be an issue. I would consider a layaway for $600-$700 or so if the right gun presented itself.

I don't like the late-model Bulldogs and Patriots from Charter very much. It would have to be an older one. The Bulldogs produced at the Stratford, CT plant in the late 70's have good reputations. That's what I have.

I'm very attracted to S&W 37!
    But again, i'm asking about +P in that or any other gun which comes up in this thread.
    Last edited by FJW; May 16th, 2017 at 08:44 AM.

(Centre County)

Ruger SP101, Model 5719, 3" barrel, .357 Mag, 27 oz. Stainless Steel. Or you could drop to a 2.25" model (5737) which is .38 Spl +P.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Susquehanna County)

Search around the used market. Sometimes you can find a 3" barreled Model 10.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Butler County)

The model 10's seem to be very popular in the "38 Club" so to speak.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by FJW View Post
    The model 10's seem to be very popular in the "38 Club" so to speak.
    Yea verily! And for damn good reasons too! Reliable, simple to use, accurate, strong and adaptable!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast