Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Montgomery County)

Default Looking for a "range pal" in Montco

As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a new gun owner and have never fired a single shot. In fact, I won't even load or carry until I am trained up. Safety is my #1 priority. That said, I have a 5-hour "boot camp" scheduled in a few weeks with a local instructor. Unless by some miracle I was hatched from my pod as a natural-born shooter, I suspect after this training I will need to start visiting the range regularly to practice.

The thing is, I have "range-anxiety." For me, the whole experience is a bit intimidating. Having never been to a range, I really don't know how it all works. And being a typically shy individual, I could really use a local range buddy with whom to train and shoot. It's possible, and likely, my instructor may teach me some "range etiquette," but I still could use the support. And for some odd reason, not a single one of my nearby friends owns a firearm. The closest friend I have that owns a firearm is a two-hour drive from me.

Starting in June, any volunteers to help a new guy? It would be most appreciated.

Default Re: Looking for a "range pal" in Montco

where do you plan to shoot, & what are you shooting?

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by itchinesu View Post
    where do you plan to shoot, & what are you shooting?
    I guess the "where" may depend on the location of my range buddy. Clayton's, Classic Pistol, and Target World are all within 10-30 minutes of me. Ideally, we will be able to find a range equidistant from our respective homes. Failing that, I'd be willing to drive a little further.

The "what" I am shooting is an easier question. I have two Springfield 9mm's, an XDM and a Mod 2.0, and a S&W J-Frame 442 revolver. The S&W and Mod 2.0 are the CCW's, and the XDM (which I admit is a bit on the big side for a newbie) will be relegated to home defense.

(Delaware County)

Too far away from you but good luck. I like the fact that you know what it will entail to become an active carrier. I have seen way to many people thinking that buying a gun and hitting the range once or twice is all that needs to be done. I hope someone here will take you up on it and help you get comfortable enough to carry and practice.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Bucks County)

A full sized XDM is a nice shooting and very controllable gun for beginners. Even the subcompact 9 is very shootable with out too harsh recoil.

If you want to take a ride up to the Quakertown area, I'd take you to our local outdoor range.

It's a very relaxed atmosphere with no Nazi range masters.

My kid is also an RSO at Target World. He's very laid back and helpful, and is a good teacher despite being a former Marine.

I do think they require you have at least some shooting experience beforehand though.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by mightypudge View Post
    As I mentioned in a previous post, I am a new gun owner and have never fired a single shot. In fact, I won't even load or carry until I am trained up. Safety is my #1 priority. That said, I have a 5-hour "boot camp" scheduled in a few weeks with a local instructor. Unless by some miracle I was hatched from my pod as a natural-born shooter, I suspect after this training I will need to start visiting the range regularly to practice.

The thing is, I have "range-anxiety." For me, the whole experience is a bit intimidating. Having never been to a range, I really don't know how it all works. And being a typically shy individual, I could really use a local range buddy with whom to train and shoot. It's possible, and likely, my instructor may teach me some "range etiquette," but I still could use the support. And for some odd reason, not a single one of my nearby friends owns a firearm. The closest friend I have that owns a firearm is a two-hour drive from me.

Starting in June, any volunteers to help a new guy? It would be most appreciated.
    Hey friend, I'm relatively new myself (and late to this thread), but I'd definitely be down to come shooting with you some time! I live about 25 minutes north of Philadelphia, and have shot a few times at Clayton's and Target World, and am looking into Classic Pistol's soon-ish. Drop me a PM or something if you're still looking, or just want a local buddy to chat with

(Bucks County)

So if you are still looking for a range partner I work 10 min from Classic Pistol. I'll join you on an evening if it fits your schedule.

(Montgomery County)

Quote Originally Posted by chutestrate View Post
    So if you are still looking for a range partner I work 10 min from Classic Pistol. I'll join you on an evening if it fits your schedule.
    Cool, I'll shoot you a PM.

(Montgomery County)

You might look at Guardian Training Center for instruction. There is an RO in each bay to help and emphasis is on help. Located on Campus Drive in Warminster.

(Montgomery County)

Hey guys, a relatively new gun owner in Montco too! Would be open to finding some buddies and go shooting together!
    I have shot before at an outdoor range after some training

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast