Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Any suggestions on using aperature (peep) sights?

OK, well I finally got the time and had the weather cooperate so that I could take my M&P-15 to the range to try it out and sight it in.

I removed the flip up iron sights that came with it and put an accessory carry handle on top. I was shooting at the 50 yard range and was using the smaller aperature ring to sight in the rifle. Now I got it to the point where I could regularly hit within an area that I can cover with my hand, but I think that I could do better if I was shooting using notch and post-style sights instead of an aperature sight. I just find it difficult to decide if the front post is centered properly in the rear ring. Now I realize that this probably has something to do with acquiring a target quickly while in battle, but I have never really been a fan of peep sights.

Is there some trick to using these?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Northampton County)

Default Re: Any suggestions on using aperature (peep) sights?

Never actually heard of that. I find them much more accurate. Sight picture, consistent cheek weld (tip of nose to charging handle works), natural point of aim, stable position, breathing, trigger press. I know there are rear sights that have horizontal lines across the center. Maybe even vertical lines. Presumably to aid in proper sight picture.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Cumberland County)

I have been using peep sights for years on target rifles. I find focusing on the front sight and the target and letting the rear peep center itself works best for me. I have been told that the rear peep will naturally center on the front sight.

(Bucks County)

Practice more, even after a short time in between range trips, I can lose some accuracy. After a few mags, it starts coming back.

I get much more enjoyment out of shooting iron sights, than an optic. Even if my groups aren't as good.
    Last edited by McSull; May 14th, 2017 at 09:37 PM.

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Never actually heard of that. I find them much more accurate. Sight picture, consistent cheek weld (tip of nose to charging handle works), natural point of aim, stable position, breathing, trigger press. I know there are rear sights that have horizontal lines across the center. Maybe even vertical lines. Presumably to aid in proper sight picture.
    What can I say? I've always been a little.......different.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

(Susquehanna County)

Are you trying to get the military battlesight zero or something different? The military zero (at least for the m16A2 type) is done at 25 meters, the small aperture is used and the "Z" is set on the rear sight. Adjustment is made by raising or lowering the front sight to get the zero. You should be able to find online versions of the GI Field Manual that will fully explain the process.
    BUT if you want a different zero say zero at 100 yds. or what ever go for it, after more practice at the 50 yd. line to tighten your groups. Your eye should pretty readily center the front sight in the rear aperture. But all the other basics of front sight focus, trigger pull and minimum arc of movement apply, meaning find your natural point of aim (e.g. move your feet to align yourself with your target instead of twisting your body).
    I'm probably going to have a bunch of the same issues! After 40 or more years of pistol competition and practice, I have to relearn rifle marksmanship!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

(Northampton County)

Take a look here. About half of this is applicable to you and half is not:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...-22-9/appa.htm

I don't know how much crap you want to buy, since the appendix makes it clear there is crap that will address your complaint. I think you will just grow out of it. But I do recommend the dime and washer drill at a minimum. It requires two people unless you are a tightrope walker so do it in the house with one of the girls. Your groups will improve.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Armstrong County)

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Are you trying to get the military battlesight zero or something different? The military zero (at least for the m16A2 type) is done at 25 meters, the small aperture is used and the "Z" is set on the rear sight. Adjustment is made by raising or lowering the front sight to get the zero. You should be able to find online versions of the GI Field Manual that will fully explain the process.
    BUT if you want a different zero say zero at 100 yds. or what ever go for it, after more practice at the 50 yd. line to tighten your groups. Your eye should pretty readily center the front sight in the rear aperture. But all the other basics of front sight focus, trigger pull and minimum arc of movement apply, meaning find your natural point of aim (e.g. move your feet to align yourself with your target instead of twisting your body).
    I'm probably going to have a bunch of the same issues! After 40 or more years of pistol competition and practice, I have to relearn rifle marksmanship!
    Incorrect. The ARMY uses a 25 meter zero.

IIRC the Marines use a 36/300 YARD BZO

I have used this practice through out the years and works very well with little cost,Get your drill set and turn drill slowly by hand enlarge the peep hole till you find a comfortable size hole for quicker acquisition and accuracy !

(Luzerne County)

Practice more. As all ready stated, the human eye/brain will want to automatically center the post in the aperture.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast