Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Cambria County)

Default Re: Any suggestions on using aperature (peep) sights?

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt.K View Post
    I'm not going to tell anybody not to do this, but I will say *I* never did. Every round I ever fired was nose-to-handle - at least the ones that hit their targets...
    Nose to handle is definitely a very good way to go when the shooter is comfortable with centering the front sight in a bigger window. It is preferable because the bigger window allows the shooter to have greater visibility of threats downrange.

I didn't mean to suggest increasing distance between the eye and the rear sight as 'the' way to do it, but it can serve as 'a' way to help folks be more comfortable with trusting their ability to inherently see the center of the window.

(Westmoreland County)

Another element to this issue, and one of which I just noticed, is that the OP indicates his age as 49.

Beyond 40 we all start to suffer from presbyopia and it becomes more difficult to utilize iron sights. It has definitely become an issue for me.

Sandcut,

Any way to confirm it might be an inability to get a front sight focus rather than centering the front post in the rear aperture?

(Wayne County)

Quote Originally Posted by TonyF View Post
    Another element to this issue, and one of which I just noticed, is that the OP indicates his age as 49.

Beyond 40 we all start to suffer from presbyopia and it becomes more difficult to utilize iron sights. It has definitely become an issue for me.

Sandcut,

Any way to confirm it might be an inability to get a front sight focus rather than centering the front post in the rear aperture?
    As I said upthread, I should be wearing trifocals.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

If you need glasses to see the front sight of your AR style rifle, there is a few options.
    One is an old standby made by B Jones http://www.bjonessights.com/TypeII.html consisting of lenses of various power in rear sight hoods that you can select from and allows you to see the front sight.
    Another newer development is the MISO sight http://ironsightoptics.com/ . I believe it’s a type of Fresnel lens. I used one of these for a while before going to a scope and it worked rather well as long as it wasn’t raining. I kept a hand full of Q-Tips in my shooting bag to be able to dry the water from the lens if it rained. Because of the “layers” in the lens, I could see the target and front sight in focus at the same time. With this system, head position/eye position behind the lens is critical and must be the same all the time. You can’t lay your head back shooting standing and crawl up on the stock in prone.

(Allegheny County)

I'm old too!
    I need a rifle length AR sight plane to be able to focus on the front sight. I switched from traditional 16" Carbine to a Dissipater to get the rifle length sight plane and still have a 16" barrel.
    Last edited by Hawk; May 25th, 2017 at 09:25 AM.
    Toujours prêt

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234