Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Northampton County)

Default Re: Any suggestions on using aperature (peep) sights?

Oh, I was mixed up and thought it was .22. I think they make a .22.

Yeah, you need some training. I would be willing to help. How is your eyesight?
    Last edited by ungawa; May 15th, 2017 at 11:38 PM.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Lackawanna County)

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

(Beaver County)

Sandcut,

Not that this may or may not help but I was not real fond of iron sights myself. Untill I replaced my standard AR front iron with a hooded sight.

Once I placed the hooded front sight on it lines up exactly with the rear peep. With both having rounded edges it made lining up the sights a breeze.

Troy refers to the hooded front sight as a HK style.

https://troyind.com/products/fixed-hk-sight-blk

And yes I know about the dumb shit Troy has done. Just using it as a referance.
    www.Steelvalleycasting.com is your new home for coated bullets and custom ammo.

(Bucks County)

You might just need to practice with your setup more. Maybe shoot some at 25 yds until you get more comfortable with "finding your center" Grasshopper.

You are probably overthinking it too much. Not everyone is prone to this but I know that I do it at times.

Failing eyesight or improper prescriptions for corrective lenses are an issue too.

I've always shot well with iron or peep sights but as I get older, focusing isn't as quick or easy as it used to be.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandcut View Post
    How could I be offended by that?

It may also be the fact that i should be wearing trifocals but I couldn't see both the front site AND the target at the same time if I did.

But yes, I was shooting off a bag on a bench rest. But like I said, the biggest problem that I found was that I wasn't getting a natural centering in the rear site. Maybe I just need to shoot it more or maybe I'm just weird from too much Communism.
    Physically, your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. I was taught to look thru the rear sight and focus on the front sight.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Physically, your eye can only focus on one thing at a time. I was taught to look thru the rear sight and focus on the front sight.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RockIsland View Post
    This.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Westmoreland County)

Normally when a student is having difficulty with iron sights (AR15) we have them switch to the smaller aperture but in your case you mention that the small aperture is what you're already using.

The angle of sunlight (in your eye or on the front sight) can often impact POI. Try using a target stand (w/cardboard backer) to shade your eyes / front sight.

The other issue with aperture sights is not to intentionally focus on centering the front sight post in the aperture. The human eye has a natural tendency to center things in its FoV. Overly focusing on the rear aperture can sometimes cause this phenomenon. Just "let it happen" and focus on the front sight.

(Cambria County)

To add to what Tony said, the human brain has an extraordinary capacity to recognize the center of a circle. Prove it to yourself by taking some paper plates and a marker. Lay out a few plates, and have a friend put a dot perfectly in the center of one, and dots slightly off center by varying degrees on the rest. You will easily distinguish the plate that is spot on, or within a couple millimeters.

Once you are confident in your ability to recognize center, focus on the front sight, put it in the center and put the rest of the marksmanship fundamentals into use.

Another thing that can help with developing comfort with the peep sights is backing your head away from the rear sight. Tony mentioned using the small apeture on an AR, but even with that, if someone goes nose-to-charging handle, the small apeture is still a big window. Finding a spot where you can consistently get a good cheek weld a 3-5 inches further back from the rear sight will make the window appear much smaller which can assist some with overcoming hesitation in trusting your natural ability to discern center with a relatively high degree of precision.

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    Another thing that can help with developing comfort with the peep sights is backing your head away from the rear sight. Tony mentioned using the small apeture on an AR, but even with that, if someone goes nose-to-charging handle, the small apeture is still a big window. Finding a spot where you can consistently get a good cheek weld a 3-5 inches further back from the rear sight will make the window appear much smaller which can assist some with overcoming hesitation in trusting your natural ability to discern center with a relatively high degree of precision.
    I'm not going to tell anybody not to do this, but I will say *I* never did. Every round I ever fired was nose-to-handle - at least the ones that hit their targets...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast