Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    (York County)

Default .223 / 5.56 hollow points for SD use?

Okay, this may be a stupid question (though I did search the forum without finding anything), but for an AR do 'hollow point' rounds have any additional "damage" impact on a target like, say, 9mm handgun HP?

I'm wondering/asking for a couple reasons:

1) Unlike handgun rounds, the HP .223 seems to be not more expensive like-for-like.
    2) The "hollow point" is truly tiny, not like the big "open sore" types HP I see with my 9mm
    3) My understanding is the AR's destructive force is about high velocity more than size of the bullet.
    4) Given that one would typically expect to be shooting at longer distances with an AR than a handgun, are there accuracy/ballistic problems brought on by the HP?

I really should have taken/tried some of the HP .223 I have when I was shooting melons and cabbages the other week to observe any difference, but regrettably didn't (and won't have a chance to shoot non-paper targets any time soon again).

FWIW, I only own a few boxes of .223 HP bought on a 'WTH?' basis, and only shot maybe a couple dozen rounds through my guns (at paper) to ensure they cycled properly.

Thanks,

KC
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Default Re: .223 / 5.56 hollow points for SD use?

Most of the .223 hollow points you see out there are match bullets. They are very accurate and have a low BC but they are not designed for terminal performance on game (except small varmints that explode on impact).

Whether or not that is good in a home defense situation is up for debate. But they will make a mess and probably not overpenetrate.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    Most of the .223 hollow points you see out there are match bullets. They are very accurate and have a low BC but they are not designed for terminal performance on game (except small varmints that explode on impact).

Whether or not that is good in a home defense situation is up for debate. But they will make a mess and probably not overpenetrate.
    Thanks, Delkal.

I should probably make clear for IN-HOME defense I would typically be using a pistol. The AR for 'self defense' would, I expect be more a SHTF scenario where it was more like "get off my land" and used at 25-50 yards out. Having said that, not over-penetrating is certainly still an issue, as is maximizing damage vs. "just passing through".

In the end, it may be just be me talking. I certainly know that shooting cabbages at 50 yards last weekend convinced me that a regular old FMJ .223 hitting a head at that range would pretty much end the issue: i.e. we weren't putting neat little holes in the cabbages and melons we were carving giant chunks out of them.
    DGAF

(Clearfield County)

If I was going with "expandng" 5.56/.223 rounds I'd probably use hornady TAP. I doubt any of it is going to mushroom, more than likely they will fragment pretty badly. As you said it is a velocity dependent cartridge. FMJ rounds wound by yawing and then breaking apart at the cannelure and sending pieces off in different directions. The slower its going the less it breaks apart, at lower speeds generally it only squeezes a bit of lead out of the base of the bullet.

(Chester County)

When I first got my AR I picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady Soft Point - along with a case of the FMJ. My thinking is similar to yours - over penetration - and that if I have to use it in a suburban setting I would like it to break up rather then go through 4-5 houses. I haven't seen any articles or info regarding HP or SP as a self-defense round.

(Montgomery County)

Just give it some thought as to who is in the next room sleeping when you cut loose with a few rounds of FMJs. A hollow point should expand quicker when going through drywall and wood studs causing it to slow down. You want to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

When I had kids at home I liked something that would expand quickly, ( Pistol & Rifle ammunition) as soon as it hits something. Just my thoughts on this.

After saying all of that I do have an AR for home defense. It does have FMJs in it but my wife is next to me and my kids are at their house.

If someone gets past Chaos, (my Rednose Pitbull) then I will have my AR charged and ready with a handgun as backup.

Dane

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by MD66948 View Post
    Just give it some thought as to who is in the next room sleeping when you cut loose with a few rounds of FMJs. A hollow point should expand quicker when going through drywall and wood studs causing it to slow down. You want to keep collateral damage to a minimum.

When I had kids at home I liked something that would expand quickly, ( Pistol & Rifle ammunition) as soon as it hits something. Just my thoughts on this.

After saying all of that I do have an AR for home defense. It does have FMJs in it but my wife is next to me and my kids are at their house.

If someone gets past Chaos, (my Rednose Pitbull) then I will have my AR charged and ready with a handgun as backup.

Dane

Very much agree, Dane. But as I said, my 9 (with HP rounds loaded) is my go-to for in-home defense. The AR would be more a SHTF defense weapon, probably used outdoors at longer range.

But as you say... unless you're at 'seal team sniper' ranges, over-penetration is always a concern.

Regrettably, can't depend on the dog as a line of defense. He's a meagle (mini-pinscher/beagle cross breed, i.e. smaller). He's a great noise-maker, but not really a rip-their-throats out pup.
    DGAF

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by KCJones View Post
    Regrettably, can't depend on the dog as a line of defense. He's a meagle (mini-pinscher/beagle cross breed, i.e. smaller). He's a great noise-maker, but not really a rip-their-throats out pup.
    You can definitely count on your dog as a line of defense. They just need to wake me up......Thank you dog, I will take it from here.

I am not going to just let a dog out of my bedroom and hide under the bed.

(York County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    You can definitely count on your dog as a line of defense. They just need to wake me up......Thank you dog, I will take it from here.

I am not going to just let a dog out of my bedroom and hide under the bed.
    Oh don't get me wrong... the little mutt earns his keep. Anyone takes about 1.2 steps onto my property and he starts going ape.
    DGAF

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by mbinpa View Post
    When I first got my AR I picked up a couple of boxes of Hornady Soft Point - along with a case of the FMJ. My thinking is similar to yours - over penetration - and that if I have to use it in a suburban setting I would like it to break up rather then go through 4-5 houses. I haven't seen any articles or info regarding HP or SP as a self-defense round.
    I also have a mag full of Hornady 55 gr soft point in my safe for home defense. I don't know that there's much in the way of conclusive evidence, though, showing that SP rounds are less likely to over-penetrate in real-life home situations.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast