Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    (Lehigh County)

Default Re: 45acp inside 500 Magnum

Quote Originally Posted by gghbi View Post
    If they are completely inside, I would think a sharp rap on a hard surface should dislodge the smaller case.
    Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    just get a kinetic bullet puller and remove it the say way you would a bullet, no need to bugger up the cases.
    Kudos to Raxar for improving on my idea!
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

I used the inertia bullet puller tonight to extract the 45 ACP cases out of the 500 Magnum cases. I had to run 43 500 Mag cases through the puller.
    The cases hadn't been sized or decapped.
    I was frustrated by two things. The first I could do nothing about. A 500 Mag case that's been fired is a really tight fit into a bullet puller. The second was the puller collar, which is held together by a small O ring, kept falling apart when I tried to remove it from one case and put it on the next case. I discovered a little hand trick that may really help out if you find yourself running a bunch of cases through a similar puller with the little 3 piece collar that engages the rim at the case head, allowing you to whack the concrete floor with the head of the puller thereby pulling the bullet. After the whacking, I discovered if I firmly hold the next case head up against the mouth of the just emptied case, I could use my thumb and index finger to push the collar from one case to the next. The case diameter helped retain the collar shape and it didn't fall apart again. I don't recommend bullet pulling as a relaxing past time but this technique really helped me get through it. Keep it in mind if you ever find yourself in the position of having to run a bunch of cases through an inertial bullet puller.

(Clarion County)

With those pullers many bypass that collar and use a shell holder.
    LOL I've used mine so much the O rings have given up.
    It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Quote Originally Posted by cephas View Post
    With those pullers many bypass that collar and use a shell holder.
    LOL I've used mine so much the O rings have given up.
    I haven't got any single shell holders, only the shell plates for my RL550B, but if I'd have had one, I'd have used it. I was ready to toss the cases in the trash after about the 10th time putting that little O ring collar back together, and I can tell you at the time, there was NO LOL going on, fortunately I was home alone and what I said will remain between me and the walls of the basement. I thought I'd made such a discovery, I'd make a video and put it on youtube. I did make a demonstration video, but it was so goofy I deleted it. It was an old guy with a gray beard first of all, and he couldn't remember what he wanted to say, and his hands kept shaking.

(Washington County)

Quote Originally Posted by bwdavis59 View Post
    I haven't got any single shell holders, only the shell plates for my RL550B, but if I'd have had one, I'd have used it. I was ready to toss the cases in the trash after about the 10th time putting that little O ring collar back together, and I can tell you at the time, there was NO LOL going on, fortunately I was home alone and what I said will remain between me and the walls of the basement. I thought I'd made such a discovery, I'd make a video and put it on youtube. I did make a demonstration video, but it was so goofy I deleted it. It was an old guy with a gray beard first of all, and he couldn't remember what he wanted to say, and his hands kept shaking.
    I feel your pain. I had to pull 300 .45 Colt rounds that I loaded with a load from a manual on my Dillon. The load was no good, but were loaded for a shoot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12