Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Anyone have Federal Jury duty...

I was lucky enough to receive a summons for jury service in the beautiful city of Philadelphia. Since I live 66.6 miles from the courthouse, am I entitled to stay in a hotel at their expense? I thought I had heard that if you are more than 50 miles away, this is possible.

Could anyone with prior experience in this matter please let me know what to expect. I know that I can not carry my weapon on federal property, so I will have to lock it up in the gun safe in my vehicle.

I have to call this Friday to find out if I have to appear on Monday. My plan is to stay over night on Sunday so I can get there on time on Monday, if I do have to show.

(Lancaster County)

Default Re: Anyone have Federal Jury duty...

I have. As far as I know there is no per diem unless you are selected for a jury. I live in Lancaster and rode the very early train but if you are only 66 miles from Philly you can drive it if train service is not available even though it means a very early start. Don't underestimate the traffic. Don't be late - that really irritates them and could result in a contempt of court issue. Garage parking downtown near the Federal CourtHouse (Market near 6th as I recall) is pricey, these days maybe $15-20/day, but as far as I know that is reimburseable as are miles driven. You are paid a daily fee for duty but it is not going to cover all your expenses. Keep good records because there is or was an IRS deduction for the trouble.

(Lancaster County)

Another thing. Leave your firearms at home. The City of Brotherly Love will not love you if they know you carry. Not worth the potential hassle.

Quote Originally Posted by Boyd Sponaugle View Post
    Another thing. Leave your firearms at home. The City of Brotherly Love will not love you if they know you carry. Not worth the potential hassle.
    Thanks for the advice, but, leaving my firearm at home is not going to happen. ESPECIALLY in Philadelphia. I don't really care if they love me or not. They don't get to make their own laws based on their opinions.

They are the ones who are ORDERING me to come to Philadelphia. If they don't like it, don't force me to go there. I am fully prepared for any hassle, but I highly doubt there will be any. Sorry if I come of wrong, but my safety is not open for debate.

(Lancaster County)

I worked in center city Philly a few blocks from the Federal Courthouse for 20 years. Never had a problem. Good Luck.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Preble Pro View Post
    Thanks for the advice, but, leaving my firearm at home is not going to happen. ESPECIALLY in Philadelphia. I don't really care if they love me or not. They don't get to make their own laws based on their opinions.

They are the ones who are ORDERING me to come to Philadelphia. If they don't like it, don't force me to go there. I am fully prepared for any hassle, but I highly doubt there will be any. Sorry if I come of wrong, but my safety is not open for debate.
    Good man, PPD thugs are much much better these days when dealing with open/concealed carry. There shouldn't even be a question about you not taking your gun with you.

(York County)

Are federal courthouses also required to store firearms?
    While many claim to support the right, precious few support the practice.

(Northampton County)

A good friend of mine got his number pulled. He did get his trunk popped and had quite a few things stolen. He drove about 55mi., left on Wed. night stayed over for court on every Thursday for 18 MONTHS.
    He was retired and said he enjoyed it. He sat on trials involving white collar (organized) crime. If you know what I mean. I believe this was back in the early 90s.
    The question is, will you be on your feet or your knees?

(Lancaster County)

Theft is a problem when in the big city from the hinterlands. The street smart parking attendent/security guys know more than you think. That truck box makes you the mark and the NRA window sticker is a bulls eye. They will figure out your parking pattern. Even though a former LEO I didn't take my guns to that town.

With a man running around with an ak 47 id definitely carry lol, Philly can't make there own laws as we all know so I say carry and if you don't want to be hassled conceal it, just make sure you have a good car safe
    Nra, SAF, NJ2AS, GOA member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast