Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Franklin County)

Default How do Sheriffs know when to revoke a LTCF?

While LTCF holders as a group are not likely to be criminals, inevitably, every year, some LTCF holders commit crimes which make them no longer eligible - even if only temporarily. Given that there could be dozens of LE agencies in a county, and thousands of charged individuals statewide every year, surely there is some automation or standard practice to apply revocation where applicable.

Anyone have any idea exactly how that works, and what are the odds that folks slip through the cracks and retain their LTCF when by law they should have been revoked?

(Jefferson County)

Default Re: How do Sheriffs know when to revoke a LTCF?

Being that the sheriff's office is often in same building as the court and clerk of court, and that they have access to the court records and hearing schedules - it would be an easy process to monitor folks for pending charges.

I don't know if there is some sort of auto-flagging system, but an active sheriff, deputy, or office clerk could theoretically cross-check newly charged/convicted folks against the license database.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!

Im not sure but I know when I worked for a LE agency our boss basically had all of our names entered into Jnet (which is like a state system for arrests, dockets, etc..) and essentially she would get an alert in her email anytime one of us got charged with something (which thankfully was never). Maybe they do something similar to that, I'm not sure. To be honest I wouldn't be surprised if they did nothing at all.

(Indiana County)

(Berks County)

I know a guy who had a PFA put out on him and they contacted him toot sweet about his LTCF. I have another friend who went to CA a while back and the customs agent knew that he had a LTCF. It sounds like you get some sort of notice attached to your profile that identifies you as a LTCF holder and then the applicable LEO would notify the Sheriff that it is time to revoke when you commit an offense.

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter View Post
    I know a guy who had a PFA put out on him and they contacted him toot sweet about his LTCF. I have another friend who went to CA a while back and the customs agent knew that he had a LTCF. It sounds like you get some sort of notice attached to your profile that identifies you as a LTCF holder and then the applicable LEO would notify the Sheriff that it is time to revoke when you commit an offense.
    The PFA situation is an easy one. The second sentence after the abuse accusation, is all about the guns owned.

(Chester County)

For many of the disqualifying Pa offenses the adjudicator has a statutory duty to notify the sheriff.

18 Pa CS 6109(i.1) Notice to sheriff.--Notwithstanding any statute to the contrary:

(1) Upon conviction of a person for a crime specified in section 6105(a) or (b) or upon conviction of a person for a crime punishable by imprisonment exceeding one year or upon a determination that the conduct of a person meets the criteria specified in section 6105(c)(1), (2), (3), (5), (6) or (9), the court shall determine if the defendant has a license to carry firearms issued pursuant to this section. If the defendant has such a license, the court shall notify the sheriff of the county in which that person resides, on a form developed by the Pennsylvania State Police, of the identity of the person and the nature of the crime or conduct which resulted in the notification. The notification shall be transmitted by the judge within seven days of the conviction or determination.

(2) Upon adjudication that a person is incompetent or upon the involuntary commitment of a person to a mental institution for inpatient care and treatment under the act of July 9, 1976 (P.L.817, No.143), known as the Mental Health Procedures Act, or upon involuntary treatment of a person as described under section 6105(c)(4), the judge of the court of common pleas, mental health review officer or county mental health and mental retardation administrator shall notify the sheriff of the county in which that person resides, on a form developed by the Pennsylvania State Police, of the identity of the person who has been adjudicated, committed or treated and the nature of the adjudication, commitment or treatment. The notification shall be transmitted by the judge, mental health review officer or county mental health and mental retardation administrator within seven days of the adjudication, commitment or treatment.
    Cannot speak to out-of-state offenses.
    Last edited by tl_3237; May 12th, 2017 at 06:20 PM.
    IANAL