Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast
    (Chester County)

Default Re: Open carry meltdown

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    I have this weird thing. I think we all kind of behave something like this but I have never heard of somebody distilling it down into a principle. If I have something of little value to me, and it is of great value to you, you are getting it. That's an easy call and a good principle to live by. Certainly nothing to brag about. I may have been in a bad mood, in pain, in a hurry, but 120 seconds of my time really meant nothing to me and it really would have meant a lot to the Frenchies. I know this sounds stupid, but if I need 6 cans of no salt beans, and there are six on the shelf, I take 4 and leave 2. Because I feel the two will cause more happiness to the next person than it will cause to me holding four cans. There's probably a clinical term for this.
    "Leavetwoticulitis"?
    - bamboomaster

(Schuylkill County)

French tourists don't expect to see American cowboys until they cross the Mississippi.

I think it is important to understand that liberals/progressives see the world differently from us. In this example, a playground, we 2A people do not see a person with a gun as a threat unless that person looks to be a likely terrorist or criminal. But the average Leftists sees even normal-looking people with guns as threats because they are brainwashed into thinking that all guns are always unsafe.

They often read news reports of a negligent shooting where the gun "just went off". It is of course an irrational fear, but they don't know better. Certainly, some do and use the opportunity to make a political statement. I don't know which category this woman belongs in, but in that situation, if possible I'd approach the woman and ask why she felt unsafe around me. You'd quickly ascertain whether she is misguided about guns, or perhaps a well informed activist.
    Help us restore election integrity in PA. Join PA Voters United

(Delaware County)

Quote Originally Posted by longcall911 View Post
    I think it is important to understand that liberals/progressives see the world differently from us. In this example, a playground, we 2A people do not see a person with a gun as a threat unless that person looks to be a likely terrorist or criminal. But the average Leftists sees even normal-looking people with guns as threats because they are brainwashed into thinking that all guns are always unsafe.

They often read news reports of a negligent shooting where the gun "just went off". It is of course an irrational fear, but they don't know better. Certainly, some do and use the opportunity to make a political statement. I don't know which category this woman belongs in, but in that situation, if possible I'd approach the woman and ask why she felt unsafe around me. You'd quickly ascertain whether she is misguided about guns, or perhaps a well informed activist.
    I agree with the difference in mind set, I see it everyday. I disagree that the women in the op was frightened, I think she was just trying to make a scene. Some people are like that, they just want everyone to notice them.

I have seen people almost run from me when I was oc. A time or two I would hear some mumbling behind me and see people leaving my general vicinity. I have never had anyone make a fuss about it, well no one except leos.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Philadelphia County)

Yep,the woman was not afraid,just pissed off that someone is walking around her child with a gun.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Northampton County)

I'm going to hazard a guess that the child didn't have anything to do with it in reality.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Chester County)

Quote Originally Posted by bogey1 View Post
    Did you tell her everything is ok, Im a syrian refugee, or, I voted for hillary?
    That usually eases the tension with the snowflakes.
    This is amazing! LOL

(Chester County)

all of these asshats in my new neighborhood have those up ..... not a fan

(Susquehanna County)

I have had two very public reactions to OC.
    At the Scheetz in Muncy, a regular stop on our way to the inlaws, I was OC and had my puppy in the grass while the family got snacks and used the restrooms. A car with Jersey plates parks and a family of 4 pile out.
    2 pre-teens start to head my way with ooohs and aaahs, with their mother's blessing, to ask to pet the puppy.
    everybody was enjoying it, mostly the puppy UNTIL I turn and mom sees the OC pistol in a black leather thumb break holster.
    She covers her mouth, stomps her foot and tries to call her kids, through her hand, in a way that me just inches from her kids would not notice.. "come here.. come here now.. HEY COME HERE RIGHT NOW!"
    The kids, still petty the puppy, were like "Why mom? Isn't it cute".. then mom starts "COME HERE NOW, HE HAS A GUN"
    I couldn't resist "Maam, it is not a gun it is a semiautomatic pistol, which by the grace of god an the great state of Pennsylvania, I may legally possess and carry *grin* Welcome to PA"
    She stood there pale and still as the kids looked up and saw the holster. The girl shrugged and went back to playing with the puppy. The boy "Is that real?" I said "yep" he smiled and petted the puppy.
    Mr Jersey comes out and she is all frantic up in his ear.. I hear him say something about this being PA and I am not the person to worry about and "Kids come one we gotta get back on the highway"

Second time was in Great Bend PA. On Sunday evenings one can usually find multiple all white tour busses with NY plates and hundreds of inner city women lined up at McDonalds, Tim Hortons, Esso and anywhere that sells food.
    Next to the main gas station is a small strip mall with a GREAT Italian food place that we frequent on Sunday evenings for Rueben sandwiches. One Sunday eve I walk in OC and right behind me 2 rather large (horizontally) black women with New York accents.. pretty sure by speech and style of dress they did not live in NEPA.
    I hear say to the other "Dat man's gotta gun! he don't look like no 5-0 to me"
    The other said "OH it's all good. We in the sticks of PA, they do that here" lightly taps my shoulder "Ain't that right honey"
    I turned, smiled, and said "she's right, I am not the one you should be scared of. You ladies enjoy your evening and have a safe trip"

BTW the busses I found out are NY Department of Corrections conjugal visit busses from NYC to prisons in upstate NY... Nice for the family, sucks for the NY tax payers.
    Retired US Army
    NRA Life Member, GOA, USCCA
    "Artificial intelligence is no match for Natural Stupidity"

(Berks County)

I was at the Red Robin in Hamburg a couple weekends ago, and ruined some woman's meal before it even began.

We got there after church, so the place was fairly busy and we were told it would be a 15-30 minute wait. No problem, since we had a couple from church heading on over as well. The main seating area was taken up with a couple and their kids, so my wife and Mom sat at the only available bench on the other side of the waiting area and my brother and I stood and talked. After a few minutes, the other waiting family was seated, so we moved over to the bigger bench.

As we were sitting down, my wife and Mom both started laughing and said "You should've seen the look on that woman's face." Apparently the lady waiting near us saw my revolver and got this absolutely constipated look on her face, to the point her husband leaned over and whispered, "What's wrong?" and she mouthed "GUN!" and nodded in my direction. I didn't see this exchange, but I did notice the man looking my way and he didn't seem troubled at all. We just nodded at one another, and that was that. An example of a negative and neutral reaction, all in one rather unhappy package.

Could be worse. She could've grabbed her youngest and stuck him in my face while screaming "Keep your gun away from my kid! Think of the children!" Sort of had that happen once, but not quite to that extreme.

On the other hand, I had very positive reactions while traveling down to Alabama to visit family, first in Virginia and then in Tennessee. One from New Jersey wishing he lived anywhere but, another a local.

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4567891011 LastLast