Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default So did you know this site is blocked if you're using Wal-Mart's WiFi?

When I was in there early waiting I thought I'd kill time by coming on here. Apparently WalMart disproves of sites such as this despite being one of America's largest gun and ammo retailers. Who remembers when that troll Rosie O'Donnell was advertising for Wally world and preaching her vile anti-gun rhetoric and people pointed out that WalMart was one of the largest gun retailers in America? She changed her tune after that and said she only opposed handguns and WalMart only sold long guns so they were ok in her book. Nasty scab.....

(Wyoming County)

Default Re: So did you know this site is blocked if you're using Wal-Mart's WiFi?

I'm not very tech savvy and perhaps I have bad intel on vulnerabilities, but I stopped using public wi-fi. Granted I don't know if I've ever used more than 1 gig of cell data, so it's not been an issue for me.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Columbia County)

Default Re: So did you know this site is blocked if you're using Wal-Mart's WiFi?

When I go to Walmart I get what I need and leave. I don’t hang around that long to use their WI-FI let alone visit this site while inside the store, so if they did block it ; so what. I don't shop for guns ammo and related accessories at Walmart, I rather buy them at a LGS.

(Philadelphia County)

No matter what time of day I happen to go into Walmart all of the registers have long lines by the time I'm ready to purchase what I've come for.I have made it a habit to grab a few of the expensive tactical magazines like Recoil just to read while I'm in line.Funny that they carry such reading material yet block this site.
    There are no pacts between lions and men.

(Montgomery County)

https://archives.fbi.gov/archives/ne...ay/wifi_050608

Wi-Fi Security
    Some Advice from the FBI
    05/06/08

You’re at the airport waiting for your flight. With time to kill, you’re thinking of connecting your laptop to the airport’s Wi-Fi to check your office e-mail...do some personal banking...or shop for a gift for your spouse.

But first, consider this: odds are there’s a hacker nearby, with his own laptop, attempting to “eavesdrop” on your computer to obtain personal data that will provide access to your money or even to your company’s sensitive information.

Here’s something else to consider: there are 68,000 Wi-Fi “hot spots” in the U.S. (see the graphic below for the top Wi-Fi countries), at airports, coffee shops, hotels, bookstores, schools, and other locations where hundreds or thousands of people pass through every day. While many of these hot spots have secure networks, some do not, according to Supervisory Special Agent Donna Peterson of our Cyber Division. And connecting to an unsecure network can leave you vulnerable to attacks from hackers.

How do hackers grab your personal data out of thin air? Agent Peterson said one of the most common types of attack is this: a bogus but legitimate-looking Wi-Fi network with a strong signal is strategically set up in a known hot spot...and the hacker waits for nearby laptops to connect to it. At that point, your computer—and all your sensitive information, including user ID, passwords, credit card numbers, etc.—basically belongs to the hacker. The intruder can mine your computer for valuable data, direct you to phony webpages that look like ones you frequent, and record your every keystroke.

“Another thing to remember,” said Agent Peterson, “is that the connection between your laptop and the attacker’s laptop runs both ways: while he’s taking info from you, you may be unknowingly downloading viruses, worms, and other malware from him.”

Businesses that offer free or ad-hoc Wi-Fi often don’t know their networks have been breached. Individual victims usually don’t realize they’ve been targeted either until it’s too late. That’s why, according to Agent Peterson, there aren’t reliable stats on the number of these breaches, although the FBI does periodically receive reports on them. It’s also very tough to trace a hack that originates on an open, unsecure network.

Agent Peterson explained that the criminal aspect comes into play once data taken by the hacker is used to commit a crime. If the hacker, armed with your personal or corporate information or access codes, tries to break into a secured network—whether it’s a case of intrusion, identity theft, bank fraud, theft of intellectual property, or any other type of crime—then law enforcement gets involved.

What can you do to protect yourself? Agent’s Peterson’s best advice is, don’t connect to an unknown Wi-Fi network. But if you have to, there are some precautions you can take to decrease the threat:

Make sure your laptop security is up to date, with current versions of your operating system, web browser, firewalls, and antivirus and anti-spyware software.
    Don’t conduct financial transactions or use applications like e-mail and instant messaging.
    Change the default setting on your laptop so you have to manually select the Wi-Fi network you’re connecting to.
    Turn off your laptop’s Wi-Fi capabilities when you’re not using them.
    How can you have any cookies if you don't drink your milk?

(Chester County)

A lot of the canned nanny software is preconfigured to block firearm sites as a default. It could be that they are using one of these with the default settings.

I keep wifi turned off on my phone. Even if you don't connect to a store's network, it can be used to track your movements, including exactly where you stop and how long you spend looking at something.
    Boy, I say boy, you're reaching the limits of my medication!

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by ExFlyinguy View Post
    I'm not very tech savvy and perhaps I have bad intel on vulnerabilities, but I stopped using public wi-fi. Granted I don't know if I've ever used more than 1 gig of cell data, so it's not been an issue for me.
    Do not connect to public wifi, or if you do, don't do anything meaningful or use any device you care about. It is stupid easy to spoof a public wifi ssid, send a disconnect signal to all devices connected to the legitimate wifi, then have them all reconnect to you. The hacker can then be the conduit for all those users and the data they send. Many email sessions send the username and password unencrypted, and you would be shocked to learn the amount of information your device leaks about you. Google wifi pineapple for more information.

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gripsafety View Post
    I keep wifi turned off on my phone.
    This is an excellent idea. Your phone will connect to a wifi network "name" it's seen before unless you tell it to ask you every time. If you ever connected to an unencrypted wifi (think the name linksys), all a hacker needs to do is set up a hotspot called linksys and your phone will automatically connect to it. For the heck of it, go to the mall and see how many open wifi hotspots called linksys there are. Or a baseball game, or concert. It's a pain to turn it off when you leave the house, and on when you get back, but mobile device security is often overlooked.

(Monroe County)

I wonder if people of Walmart is also blocked.
    Owner Trigger Time LLc 01 FFL/NFA Saylorsburg, PA. Sales/Service/Transfers/Training
    NRA CRSO/Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun inst. BSA Rifle/Shotgun Merit badge counselor. US Navy Marksmanship Team Staff

(Berks County)

Hmm, never had an issue there.
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast