Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,184
    Rep Power
    983375

    Default Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    I'm considering one but never even saw one being shot...I have no interest in .40 and I've got 9mm and .45ACP but looking for info on the caliber as well as what pistols are best suited for it...
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    4816619

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    I have one in a Sig P226, love it. Great caliber, low recoil. IMO probably the best semi-auto handgun round in terms of performance (short of probably the 10mm).

    The only downside is COST and AVAILABLITY OF AMMO. Also, I believe, if you're a reloader the bottleneck design of the case requires lube (IE no carbide dies)
    It does have a more significant muzzle blast, but that never bothered me. Not as snappy as a .40 IMO.
    Last edited by Marcus99; May 9th, 2017 at 02:39 PM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Kempton, Pennsylvania
    (Berks County)
    Age
    41
    Posts
    738
    Rep Power
    6514738

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    I have a Glock 32 & reload for 357 sig. It's definitely snappy & has a bit of muzzle flash, but I like it. Some will say you can do almost as much with 9mm +P or +P+. I would tend to agree that you can almost get there, but not quite.

    Reloading isn't as hard as some say, but it's not as simple as a straight walled pistol caliber. I would cringe at having to purchase loaded ammo for it. The biggest thing is finding a good bullet profile.

    My overall opinion of 357 sig is that it's a bit of a boutique cartridge. It takes more fiddling (or money) to get it just right, but if the desire for that extra power is there, it's a good design.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    (Dauphin County)
    Posts
    237
    Rep Power
    2779972

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    The neck is too short, causing bullet set back. Because of this I don't consider +p safe with this round.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania
    (Montgomery County)
    Posts
    1,041
    Rep Power
    8735558

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    Quote Originally Posted by theunrulychef View Post
    I have a Glock 32 & reload for 357 sig. It's definitely snappy & has a bit of muzzle flash, but I like it. Some will say you can do almost as much with 9mm +P or +P+. I would tend to agree that you can almost get there, but not quite.

    Reloading isn't as hard as some say, but it's not as simple as a straight walled pistol caliber. I would cringe at having to purchase loaded ammo for it. The biggest thing is finding a good bullet profile.

    My overall opinion of 357 sig is that it's a bit of a boutique cartridge. It takes more fiddling (or money) to get it just right, but if the desire for that extra power is there, it's a good design.
    I, for one, decided against keeping the .357. I had a barrel for the G23 I had, never could bring myself to buy the ammo because it was like three times more money.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,184
    Rep Power
    983375

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    What benefits is there over a .40?
    Or basically something other than 9mm

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    4816619

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    What benefits is there over a .40?
    Or basically something other than 9mm
    Better velocity and energy

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,184
    Rep Power
    983375

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    Quote Originally Posted by Marcus99 View Post
    Better velocity and energy
    But if I can almost get there with a hot 9mm where is the advantage

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    4816619

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    Since some are mentioning conversions I should mention that I also have a 40 barrel for my P226 which is nice.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Pleasant Gap, Pennsylvania
    (Centre County)
    Posts
    357
    Rep Power
    4816619

    Default Re: Somebody school me on the .357 sig

    Quote Originally Posted by *Klutch* View Post
    But if I can almost get there with a hot 9mm where is the advantage
    Almost there, isn't there . I don't mess with +P+ or +P stuff unless my guns are rated for it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 11
    Last Post: March 18th, 2014, 03:41 PM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last Post: December 16th, 2013, 05:33 PM
  3. Replies: 15
    Last Post: February 1st, 2013, 05:27 PM
  4. Replies: 15
    Last Post: October 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last Post: August 19th, 2009, 06:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Local gun shops | Local shooting ranges | Philadelphia Shooting Ranges | Philadelphia Gun Shops | Pittsburgh Shooting Ranges | Pittsburgh Gun Shops