Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast
    (Lycoming County)

Default Re: Central PA group shoot 2017 (July 15th 2017)

Quote Originally Posted by pahuntnfool View Post
    No...........but will add a 3 year attendee..
    Was a certain martini Henry rifle involved in that action.

(Clinton County)

No.....next clue notice lack of larger trees much further up the line.

(Allegheny County)

were bowling pins involved ???

(Allegheny County)

I would like to get Streaker69s Kartoffelstuff.... Kartoffelsalat what ever it is recipe

(Lancaster County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    I would like to get Streaker69s Kartoffelstuff.... Kartoffelsalat what ever it is recipe
    I actually don't have a recipe written down for it. It's made to taste each time. I can tell you what's in the dressing, I just don't have measurements for it.

I did use red potatoes, boiled with the skin on until they're soft. Then let them cool before peeling and cutting them.
    A few hard boiled eggs.
    Some celery hearts chopped up with the leaves.
    green onions chopped.

Dressing is Miracle Whip, sugar, cider vinegar, salt, pepper, mustard powder.
    Rules are written in the stone,
    Break the rules and you get no bones,
    all you get is ridicule, laughter,
    and a trip to the house of pain.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by JDA58 View Post
    were bowling pins involved ???
    I think we have a winner

Yes there were shot in half......

(Chester County)

If any of us could have managed the niggling details for planning “The Third Battle of Rauchtown”, I’m pretty sure we couldn’t have done anywhere as superb a job as pahuntingfool and RLSUEHR.

Thankfully, we got our official marching orders with the rest of the PAFOA forum advising us to “bring something to shoot, targets, as much ammo as your vehicle can carry, food for ’12-15’ folks, and 3x as many chilled drinks as you think you’ll need (because somebody else will surely need it).”

With a nearly unlimited cornucopia of targets that included gongs, steel, drums, paper, bowling pins, jugs, clays, etc., well, I don’t ever recall seeing such a selection at any local range. Thanks for bringing all that stuff (you know who you are!) and sorry we wrecked just about everything…

RockIsland, thanks for bringing the clay thrower. Some shooters enjoyed popping some of the clays that were initially missed and flew into our adjacent area of operations...

Thanks to JDA58 and Louie, I had no idea it took so many rounds to cut a bowling pin in half, but Mr_Gixxer definitively proved that all it takes is “just one”…

It was also great to see Aggies Coach, gghbi and priel3 there and the honorarium presented to Aggies Coach. Nothing but CLASS, eh? It was also great to see SSGRetired and the missus, but I gotta tell you something – I’m so dang tired of SSGRetired saying he’s a lousy shot while spinning suspended bowling pins with just about any pistol at 35 yards. Qmcorps made it look easy too – with a 4” barrel…

WTF???

But I just want to let everyone know that I’m so very grateful for the many participants that cooked for us (TooBigToFit and RLSUEHR come to mind), fed us (justinHEMI’s maple bacon donuts, Streaker69’s fabulous wings, HotMike’s chocolate-enrobed brownies, and a host of others) helped with set-up, and were still around when it came to breaking things down.

Oh, pretty cool watching Streaker69’s kids – great shooters! And a special thanks to "The Natural" - Streaker's #3, for keeping things ship-shape and running smoothly on the left side of the line. The help was greatly appreciated (hope we didn't break any child labor laws here...)

A special shout-out to pennlineman for insisting I take his Sten for a walk (and sharing the same, his 1911, and a single action with bamboomiss – she thoroughly enjoyed the opportunity). Also to qmcorps for bringing his Martini-Henry and an “extra pop-up” that provided a safe space (hah-hah!) and extra shade for those who settled under it.

Actually, the “safest space” whether standing, sitting, or prone was right behind the orange-taped firing line. Kudos to everyone for superb safety protocol.

Just for the record, near the end of the day, RLSUEHR was the first to tag the gong with a black-powder round (and did it with authority twice) from a Martini-Henry as did qmcorps. I think pahuntingfool and I still have some limited bragging rights for hitting it once….

BTW, the load is 85 grains 1F, an 11/16" slice of foam backer-rod for empty space filling to the top of the shoulder, a wax cardboard profile, a lube “cookie”, and a final wax cardboard profile behind a 475 grain bullet with a Winchester large pistol primer.

577 450.jpg

Although some PAFOA members were unable to attend who had in the past (ARJohnson, EmptyMag, Manxdriver, Scruff, SWarner, USM3531, and a few others), WE MISSED YOUR GREAT COMPANY!

If I missed recognizing other members or just got stuff plain wrong, kindly accept my apologies and regrets - I'll edit this post after I dry out - which I sorely needed done on Friday along with a few others. While my Beretta rain parka and pants were purportedly WATERPROOF, I don't think any garment would have passed muster Friday morning. But as qmcorps stated "It was a great confidence-building exercise..."

Thankfully, we’ve finally unloaded the vehicle, tumbled all the brass, and now I just need another 4-6 hours to finish cleaning up. And four days or so of uninterrupted time for reloading and the follow-on quality control. FWIW, those hours will run right on by while reminiscing about how true it is that PAFOA folks are indeed kindred spirits.

And to pahunting fool and RLSUEHR - YOU GUYZ ROCK!
    Last edited by bamboomaster; July 17th, 2017 at 04:08 PM.
    - bamboomaster

(Allegheny County)

bamboomaster ,Sir your set up is first class.. always great to learn some history along with shooting something that most people will never get the chance.. Thank you

And I didn't think the Martini-Henry was going to pack as much punch as it did..being old and black powder and all !!!! thanks to qmcorps also

Being that this was my first one, I did learn that I need to come better prepared. Next year, I will plan on bringinga set up as well.

Also, I apologize for not policing my brass. I was sharing pahuntinfools area and it didn't occur to me to pick up my brass before leaving. I won't let that happen again.
    Life has a melody. Not great, not terrible.

(Lackawanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
    Being that this was my first one, I did learn that I need to come better prepared. Next year, I will plan on bringinga set up as well.

Also, I apologize for not policing my brass. I was sharing pahuntinfools area and it didn't occur to me to pick up my brass before leaving. I won't let that happen again.
    He will thank you for your donation.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. Voltaire.
    America must suffer until it reaches the point that Liberty is more important than Comforts.

Page 30 of 31 FirstFirst ... 20262728293031 LastLast