Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Centre County)

Default Residency / licenses

Hi,

I just moved to State College for grad school and am interested in learning to shoot and getting a license. ...but the problem is this:

-I'm not currently a PA resident, and although I'd like to be one, it says that people can't become residents if they're in state primarily for educational purposes. I don't know how hardcore they are about enforcing that.

-I'm from MD, which will issue carry licenses - but only if you provide documented evidence of several death threats being made against you - don't know if this means that I need a MD license before I can get a PA one, or what...?

I'd really appreciate any help.

-shinobi

(Centre County)

Default Re: Residency / licenses

PA will issue a Non-Resident LTCF so your safe, just apply for one of those, which you can do in person down at the sheriffs office on any buisness day and it will more than likely be approved and in your hands before you walk out.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunLawyer001 View Post
    Buy a silencer.

Tax: $200
    Cost of effective 5.56 suppressor: $500
    Letting the elderly neighbors sleep in until morning: Priceless.

"132 and Bush I've got him at gun point, OK gun point, 132 and bush, cover is code 3"

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

PA will only issue a non-res LTCF if the person has a permit/license from their home state, if that state does in fact issue them. So without a MD permit, the OP would not be eligible for a PA LTCF. As per the PA UFA (Uniform Firearms Act) (relevant parts below):

A license shall not be issued to any of the following:

(ix) A resident of another state who does not
    possess a current license or permit or similar document
    to carry a firearm issued by that state if a license is
    provided for by the laws of that state, as published
    annually in the Federal Register by the Bureau of
    Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms of the Department of the
    Treasury under 18 U.S.C. � 921(a)(19) (relating to
    definitions).

shinobi's best bet would be to get a non-res FLA or Utah permit, which I believe, are both honored in PA.
    Last edited by HiredGoon; September 10th, 2008 at 05:48 PM.

(Centre County)

Before you even get in to LTCF, My gunshop last week recieved a letter from where ever stating that unless you have PA drivers lisence / PA photo ID, no sales can be made - or something to that effect.

When I was there at the shop last thursday, this guy and his friend was trying to buy some shotgun, and he was from Repubric of Karifolnia, and shop couldn't sell him one. because he didn't have PA Drivers lisence.

and he was gonna have his friend with PA drivers lisence to buy one for him, which ofcourse thats straw purchose and was told no sale.

With that being said, do shinobi have PA drivers lisence to buy a gun?
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

I don't have a PA driver's license yet, but am going to get one soon - I think that I'm allowed to...

...it's still kind of ambiguous as to what makes me a PA resident, though - I mean, I'm going to be here year-round for at least four years.

Thanks for the help.

-shinobi

(Centre County)

Shinobi,
    Do not take this the wrong way. As I can't tell from from your forum name, are you a US citizen? The reason I ask is that there are certain things that can and cannot be done by non US residents. If you are a resident alien your immigration papers will be needed along with your other ID's. If you are a US citizen, once you get a PA DL you can go through the PICS (actually you can go through the background check, without a PA DL, a PICS operator will just ask the person calling in the check some questions). Also, have 3 months worth of some bills that prove you are residing in PA, such as electric bill, rent receipts, gas/fuel oil bill, etc. These help if the PICS comes back asking about proof of residency. If you are/were a MD resident and not going to change your residency from MD to PA, you could buy long arms in PA but you would have to comply with all MD firearms laws before you could buy in PA. If you are a resident of MD, you cannot buy a handgun in PA. The handgun would have to be transferred to a FFL in MD and you would have to comply with all MD laws.

BTW, getting a PA drivers license is a first step in becoming a resident of a state. If you were here just to go to school, you don't need to change your DL. Registering to vote is another step (although if you are an alien, you can't, I don't think, don't hold me to that I don't know all the voting laws). Buying property and paying taxes (income and property) also helps make you a resident.

If you're not a resident alien, you can disregard much of the above. If you're a US citizen, there is no law that says you can't be a resident of a state for 4 years and then take up residency in another state, it is still a free country.

If you have more questions or need more info you can PM me with your concerns or steps needed to take to purchase.

BTW, if you are wondering, I am an FFL holder in the State College area.

Mity2,
    Any citizen of any state can buy a long arm in PA as long as they can pass the background check an comply with the laws of their home state (IL buyers have to have a FOID card, NJ buyers have to have a purchase permit, etc). They cannot buy a handgun, that HAS to go through a FFL in their home state.

I would like to see that letter, the only one I received lately was from the PSP, and was reminding FFL's to be aware that to do a sale to an out of stater you need to be cognizant of the laws of the state they are from (see above statement). It never stated that you couldn't sell to an Non-PA person.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Centre County)

Quote Originally Posted by Xringshooter View Post
    I would like to see that letter, the only one I received lately was from the PSP, and was reminding FFL's to be aware that to do a sale to an out of stater you need to be cognizant of the laws of the state they are from (see above statement). It never stated that you couldn't sell to an Non-PA person.
    I'll ask for the copy next time I'm upthere!
    Audemus jura nostra defendere

(Centre County)

Yes, Senior Master Sergeant, I am a US citizen. : )

Thanks for the information about switching licenses / residency, though - that's surprisingly hard to find online (at least, in a format that makes sense).

I'm already registered to vote in PA, and I'm beginning to pay taxes here, too (at least, so far as withholding is concerned) ...

...I guess I should start saving utility bills!

Thanks again.

-shinobi

(Centre County)

If you know that E-8 is SMSgt, at least you know the military LOL

Like I said, didn't want to offend, as you know there are a lot of resident aliens at PSU for Masters/PhD work.

Sounds to me that you just need the PA drivers license and the 3 months in PA and you'll be good to go.

Maybe I'll be able to help you out in the future. Don't hesitate to PM me if you have questions. Several times a year I have a get together here at my shop/house with a bunch of the PaFOAers just to socialize and answer questions that people have. I've done basic reloading training, we've built AR-15's here and some new people just wanted info about guns, the laws, where to shoot, etc. Will probably be having another soon (I post it so people can make plans).
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member