This build started a year or two ago with the purchase of a GWACS Armory CAV-15 MK II one-piece lower/stock.
I wanted a carbine that was light enough for my wife to shoot as she has physical limitations that make shouldering an average rifle too difficult for her to enjoy shooting. By using the polymer lower (it's made of Dupont Nylon 6) you can shave a full pound off compared to a complete standard lower with stock. Couple that with a lightweight pencil barrel, and I think I can get the weight down to where she can handle it.

I'll add a full parts list at some point, but at the time of this posting I have the following:

CAV-15 lower/stock
Anderson Sport upper (no forward assist/no dust cover)
Tom's Tactical LPK with upgraded Nickel Teflon trigger group
Charging handle
Magpul front/rear BUIS
Faxon 16" mid length pencil barrel

I still need:
Muzzle device
Bolt carrier group
Buffer/spring (I have a standard buffer/spring, but may get a lightweight setup)
Hand guard
Adjustable gas block
Gas tube

This should be interesting. I can't wait to see what this totals out at. I'm trying to make it as light as I can, but there's no way I can afford some of the crazy-light parts that are available on the market, so I'm not trying to compete with $3,000 lightweight guns - I just need it to be "light enough" for my wife.

If anyone has any tips, I'm all ears! If anyone has any questions, I'll answer as best I can.

I never knew a carbine could be so light. My first AR (before I had an understanding of barrel profiles) came with an HBAR, so this thing feels unbelievably light (even assuming it will weigh more once completed) and feels more like a toy.

I just got the barrel yesterday so I slipped it onto the upper/lower to get a better feel for it. Now that it's starting to look like a rifle I want to keep going and finish it, but I have to buy as I can afford the parts.
I'll post up some pics in a sec...