Here's the Right to Bear Lightweight bolt carrier group mfg link
    purchased from righttobear.com

Specs:

• Enhanced 9310 Steel (Bolt)
    • 8620 Tool Steel (Carrier)
    • Mil-Spec Extractor Spring, black extractor insert, Viton O-Ring
    • Tool Steel Extractor
    • Shrouded Firing Pin
    • Mil-Spec Gas Key (4130 Steel) attached with Grade 8 hardware and Properly staked
    • Bolt is shot Peened and MPI
    • Forward Assist Serrations

• Weight: 8.9 Ounces / 252.5 Grams!

• Black Nitride Finish

• Lifetime Warranty (you break it, we replace it)

Since it's a relative newcomer, I thought I'd post a bunch of pics so people can get a good look at it.

I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Lightweight AR15 Build - CAV-15 MKII Lower & Pencil Barrel

Another part came in...

Anodized PURPLE ALG Defense 12" Ergonomic Modular Rail (EMR) model V0 mfg link
    purchased from algdefense.com
    Got it for 40% off during Memorial day sale! $93 shipped vs $155 reg price (colors are slightly more than black)

7.84 oz - nice and slim. Even though it's a "dated" design, I love the look of this handrail.
    It comes with one co-witness height rail section for mounting a front sight and one accessory rail section.
    I'm going to take more photos in different lighting because the color isn't displaying accurately in this photo. It looks more "blue" to me in this pic, but it's definitely purple. Mrs EM likes the color and that's all that really matters.

Sneak peek...

Here's a pic I found online that looks a little more accurate as far as color representation. Different handrail - same color.

(Allegheny County)

Here's the VG6 Precision, Epsilon 556 muzzle brake mfg link
    purchased from graniteridge.com on sale for $52 shipped

Bottom (where all logos belong in my opinion)

Top (slightly angled)

Side

(Allegheny County)

Ordered the Taccom Ultra Light Weight recoil system last night. It shipped out this morning.
    $37.90 for the buffers and the spring (free shipping over $25 - ordered direct from Taccom)

It's the two piece buffer set and 10% reduced power buffer spring in the photo - not the carbine buffer shown with it.

(Allegheny County)

And here it is...

And here's the knucklehead who likes to get in all my gun pics now...

THIS CARBINE IS SLATED FOR COMPLETE ASSEMBLY and TEST FIRING TOMORROW!!!

(Allegheny County)

I met up with Nate7667 today and he got my upper parts assembled for me and we took it out and put a few rounds through it to dial in the adjustable gas block.

She is COMPLETE and FUNCTIONING!

Recoil is almost laughable. Weight is... well, I don't have a scale and it's not going to win a contest with a $2,500 titanium lightweight build, but it's pretty damned light. I can hold the rifle level in an outstretched hand - and I'm not exactly a strong dude.

I gotta go get my lawn cut and bathe the dog, so I'm just posting this up real quick. More later.

A coordinating case was a priority...

Right after the initial test firing... (a newborn)

Awesome.
    If I can find a good match for the handrail, I may shoot a few of the controls in purple.
    I have all sorts of ideas for the stock. Time will tell if I customize it any further.

(Allegheny County)

More pics...

I forgot to get a good shot that shows the difference in thickness of the CAV-15 lower vs a standard lower but you can sort of see it in this photo. The inside is cut out pretty much the same so a standard lower parts kit is used, but along the upper edge, the lower is thicker "on the outside" and extends about 1/8" out beyond the width of the upper.
    The way it was executed you'd never even notice unless you knew to look for it. I assume that making these areas thicker adds strength to the lower.

The pivot pin and takedown pin are proprietary and are the only two "lower parts" that differ from standard.
    No springs or detents to piss around with on these pins either!
    The "negative" is that you can't pull/push these pins out/in with your fingers - they need to be tapped out with something.
    The fit is intentionally tight and technical info indicates that it will loosen a bit in time with repeated disassembly.

Overall, I found the assembly of the lower parts kit to be easier than with a standard AR lower. I was expecting (fearing) the worst, especially after reading that two detent springs may need to be trimmed, but even with needing to snip a coil off a spring, it all went together with relative ease. I put it together right here - literally on my laptop with rag over the keyboard to lay the parts out on while I watched the assembly video.

Anderson slick side upper - no more trying to explain what "that button" (forward assist) does. LOL!
    Odin Works XMR extended mag release. I handed my other rifle equipped with one to Mrs EM and another rifle with a standard mag release and asked "which one?"
    I already knew the answer, but she got to see the difference and chose the XMR release.

I think I pointed out and explained this in the other build thread, but note the hammer pin hole. See how it almost looks like there's no pin in it? That's because of the thicker wall in that area that I spoke of above - the pins used are standard trigger and hammer pins - the trigger pin goes through the "normal" width section of the lower and the hammer pin is located in that "thicker" area. So long as it's centered, it's good to go.
    Also, the very small hole behind and above the rear takedown pin is for a roll pin that gets tapped in to hold the buffer retainer in. Since this lower doesn't use a buffer tube (it's molded into the inside of the stock) to hold the buffer retainer in, the roll pin holds it in.

Obviously the grip and trigger guard can't be sapped out. Haters love, and I mean LOVE to point this terrible, terrible "flaw" out, but honestly, the grip feels pretty good - much better than an A2 grip. Anyone buying one of these lowers knows it going into it. I took a chance - I like the grip - I like the LOP of the stock (A1 length - shorter than A2) too. (another "flaw" that gets thrown out there)
    In the end, I have a few extra grips and trigger guards as well as some springs and detents I have no use for.

(Allegheny County)

Mrs EM wanted a "Purple" handguard. I wanted to get her one of the really ornate "scrollwork/cutout-type" handguards we found while searching for custom handguards, but after factoring in adding the upcharge to get the purple Cerakote, the thing ended up at $300 plus shipping. I was willing to put some money into this build - within reason - but that was just too much.
    This anodized purple handrail from ALG defense worked out great and was only $93 shipped including the two rail sections. (one cowitness height for front sight) A great product for sure. I think the slight oval shape of the slots gives it a more stylish look than boring M-Lok slots.
    More than anything though, Mrs EM likes the color - and that's what really matters.

(Allegheny County)

I think the VG6 Epsilon muzzle brake was a solid choice - both aesthetically and functionally.
    While I have only done some limited test firing, I don't recall much movement during firing.
    I think it looks pretty good on here too. Some others I had in the lineup would have ended up looking too "blocky" or simply too "big" visually mated to the pencil barrel, where I think this muzzle device blends well with it. She thinks it looks badass, so again, that's what really matters.

(Lehigh County)

Now that you have finished your project, this shows up on the web: http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...ghts-database/
    Illegitimus non carborundum est

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast