Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Butler County)

Default Question for H&R 929 Experts

I have been recently trying to track down the DA revolver that I remember my dad owning when I was a kid. He sold it at a garage sale many years ago and I never got to inherit it. From a lot of internet research and my memory I believe that it was a H&R 929. I do know that it had smooth pearl grips (not textured, not ivory). Since I will never get his actual gun back again I was looking at possibly trying to track down the same one. I have no idea when his was produced or even if he bought it new or used. He apparently had it many years before I was born so I suspect he had it since the early 1960's. He wasn't one to mess around with customizing anything so I know he bought it with the grips on it although the previous owner could have changed them. I don't want to waste a lot of time trying to find an original with these grips if it wasn't sold that way so I thought I would ask if anyone knows whether the 929 was ever sold originally with pearl grips? I have only two photos on the internet with this configuration so I'm starting to think that I might be out of luck (see photo below). I know that I could buy aftermarket grips but was trying to see if it was ever sold that way so I could maybe narrow down the manufacture year. Thanks for any help.

This is how I remember it:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/mgm-content...ick_22_640.jpg

(Fayette County)

Default Re: Question for H&R 929 Experts

Does yours have a transfer bar? They appeared in 1974. The serial number should help with the year of manufacture.

(Butler County)

I don't actually have the gun any more. Just trying to see if I can find one similar based on my memory of it. A long shot I know.

(Jefferson County)

The 929 1st model Sidekick was made from 1956 to 1973.

The 929 2nd model Sidekick was made from 1974 to 1986. (transfer bar was the main improvement for this model)

Both came with simple plastic grips, but H&R did occasionally offer option grips. And there was also an aftermarket for such even back then.
    RIP: SFN, 1861, twoeggsup, Lambo, jamesjo, JayBell, 32 Magnum, Pro2A, mrwildroot, dregan, Frenchy, Fragger, ungawa, Mtn Jack, Grapeshot, R.W.J., PennsyPlinker, Statkowski, Deanimator, roland, aubie515

Don't end up in my signature!