Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Lightweight Bolt Carrier Group and Recoil - AR15

I have been buying parts for a year or more to build a lightweight AR15.
    I'm at the point where I "only" need the following items to complete it:
    Handguard
    Muzzle Device (some form of comp)
    Adjustable Gas Block
    Bolt Carrier Group

I see that the AIM Surplus lightweight BCG is currently $20 off and it's the one I had planned on using for it's weight savings.

That said... RECOIL MANAGEMENT?
    3-4 oz of weight savings is negligible compared to whether one BCG would be better for recoil management. (for wife)

My initial goal was to be as LIGHT as possible since she has back issues and can not shoulder most rifles - even a .22 for more than a few shots. I ended up ordering a Faxon pencil barrel and all I can say is "HOLY CRAP is that thing light!"
    I just pushed it onto the upper which is on a finished lower (no BCG or buffer in it and no handguard) to get a rough idea of how heavy it will be and I am blown away at how light this feels right now due to the pencil barrel. (this is why I don't think using a standard weight BCG is going to ruin the weight savings)

Since I'd prefer she enjoy shooting it and since it's overall very light, I started thinking about felt recoil and how a lightweight BCG would factor in.

Anyone have any real world experience with lightweight BCGs and adjustable gas blocks?
    EDIT: Forgot to mention the barrel is a mid length gas system

I'm reading all sorts of conflicting "theories" and guesses and utter nonsense all mixed together, but would rather hear from someone who actually has one.

This is not a "combat gun". Maybe it could be pressed into play in a home defense role, but a handgun is likely the first choice - this will mainly be for shooting at the range together.

If there is any other info I need to supply, let me know. I tried to lay it out the best I could, but may have overlooked something.
    #1 priority = LIGHT
    #2 priority = Not too harsh to shoot comfortably
    Last edited by Emptymag; May 6th, 2017 at 02:04 PM.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Armstrong County)

Default Re: Lightweight Bolt Carrier Group and Recoil - AR15

I have one in my .308 AR. It has a lot less recoil than my old Sig 716. Hell it has less recoil than my 7.62x39 AKs.

I tried one out on that build, and I think I'm a believer. Find someone with a .308 AR to go to one if the pmsc shoots, and we can do a real life apples to apples comparison.

That being said, in theory, they make sense. Force = mass x acceleration. You decrease the mass, by using a lighter bcg, you get less force. You decrease acceleration by decreasing gas. And you decrease the amount of acceleration needed by using lighter parts.

Just keep in mind the lighter the rifle...the more the recoil impulse your wife will feel. Honestly, get her a FN PS90 and you won't concern yourself with recoil or weight. Sure, the PS90 cost more, but in the end your will will enjoy it more.

I have the low mass BCG from AIM....the reason why I bought it was because I'm using it with my BFS III binary trigger. I'm not using it for the reasons you listed. I know the low mass BCG helps with cyclical rate while using binary trigger.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    Just keep in mind the lighter the rifle...the more the recoil impulse your wife will feel. Honestly, get her a FN PS90 and you won't concern yourself with recoil or weight. Sure, the PS90 cost more, but in the end your will will enjoy it more.

I have the low mass BCG from AIM....the reason why I bought it was because I'm using it with my BFS III binary trigger. I'm not using it for the reasons you listed. I know the low mass BCG helps with cyclical rate while using binary trigger.
    LOL! A FN PS90?
    It's taken almost two years of buying parts as I find them on sale and I have yet to buy the most expensive parts.
    A $1,300 rifle that requires new mags and another (presumably more expensive) round to be added to the mix is not the solution here. LOL!

I don't think recoil is going to be a deal breaker for her - she's fired my AK and survived - I just figured that if I'm in the process of building it, I may as well try for "less" recoil.

I'm happy that you didn't post to tell me the AIM lighweight BCG is a POS.
    It's the only lightweight I'm willing to use based on price - all others I've seen are cost prohibitive. I'm trying to be as light as I can afford - not as light as someone with deep pockets can afford.

$109.95 shipped is good to start with. On sale for $89.95 shipped is something I don't want to miss out on if it's something that will work out so that's why I started the thread.

(Erie County)

Go with the Vltor A5 system for less felt recoil.

You won't need an adjustable gas block, just a heavier buffer if using a LW BCG.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

I get budgets, but I also know most folks own 20 firearms. The PS90 is a great compact carbine and true ambi rifle.

I good brake is a must for her...suppressor is even better.

What buffer are you planning on using as the JP will probably help with recoil as well.

I saw AIMs sale, but I doubt I'd buy another as AR15 parts are so plentiful and will be so for at least the next four years...unless someone goes full retard and we have more mass shootings.

Get a dedicated 22LR AR upper and that would help with recoil more than anything else if you are sticking with AR15 platform.

(Lackawanna County)

My three gun rifle runs adjustable gas and a lightweight bcg and buffer combo. It barely moves. At all.

I also have a lightweight gun I've posted on here a dozen times that is about four lbs. it runs a lightened bolt carrier with adjustable gas key and a lightweight buffer. It also barely moves. Just because it's light doesn't mean it moves more and has more recoil. It also has less reciprocal mass so it's a bt of a wash. TBH I think I have other guns that recoil more than the lightweight gun.

A great brake helps more than anything in taming recoil.

I don't fear adjustable gas either but most gas blocks will leak over time or lock in the one setting. Just keep that in mind

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Gun View Post
    Go with the Vltor A5 system for less felt recoil.

You won't need an adjustable gas block, just a heavier buffer if using a LW BCG.
    Wat does this mean? What "system"?
    I went to the Vltor site but don't see anything that seems to apply.

By the way, the lower/stock is not a standard setup - I'm using a GWACS Armory CAV-15 one-piece unit.

(this is my 7.62x39 build at the moment - same stock/lower is being used for her lightweight build - it's a full pound lighter than a "standard" lower with complete stock)

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by aubie515 View Post
    I get budgets, but I also know most folks own 20 firearms. The PS90 is a great compact carbine and true ambi rifle.

I good brake is a must for her...suppressor is even better.

What buffer are you planning on using as the JP will probably help with recoil as well.

I saw AIMs sale, but I doubt I'd buy another as AR15 parts are so plentiful and will be so for at least the next four years...unless someone goes full retard and we have more mass shootings.

Get a dedicated 22LR AR upper and that would help with recoil more than anything else if you are sticking with AR15 platform.
    It took me many years to get the guns I own. I'm not selling several of them to buy a PS90. She can sell some candles, or jewelry, or something, but I'm not selling my guns!

I've been researching brakes/comps. I haven't settled on one yet, but like the looks, reviews, and price (about $89) of the JP Enterprises Small Profile Compensator.

If you mean the JP Silent Capture spring setup, I doubt I'm going to get that spendy either.
    Not sure the dollars to recoil reduction ratio is worth the extra money.

I have a dedicated 22LR AR15 already. She wants a "real" AR15.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by NathanB View Post
    My three gun rifle runs adjustable gas and a lightweight bcg and buffer combo. It barely moves. At all.

I also have a lightweight gun I've posted on here a dozen times that is about four lbs. it runs a lightened bolt carrier with adjustable gas key and a lightweight buffer. It also barely moves. Just because it's light doesn't mean it moves more and has more recoil. It also has less reciprocal mass so it's a bt of a wash. TBH I think I have other guns that recoil more than the lightweight gun.

A great brake helps more than anything in taming recoil.

I don't fear adjustable gas either but most gas blocks will leak over time or lock in the one setting. Just keep that in mind

OK, so what I'm interpreting from that is that using a lightweight BCG won't necessarily adversely affect recoil.

This is the meat of my question because if I can buy this BCG at the sale price I have shaved weight without spending any more than I would for a standard BCG.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast