Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Allegheny County)

Default Ruger Service 6 grips from Numrich with out screw

I was looking for a rubber grip to fit a Ruger Service Six. I found several that did fit a Security Six but the pins in the pistol handle did not line up with the grip holes. Numrich had Mustang Rangefield Grips without the screw. A search of the net found several people asking the question if anybody knew the screw size. No reply.

After cleaning out the rubber from the screw hole I went to Lowe's and found Black Screw packet of 4 (H#885533 for $1.17) - size 6-32 x 1 inch that works.

I hope this helps others in the same situation.

(Centre County)

Default Re: Ruger Service 6 grips from Numrich with out screw

Just FYI, the grips for the Ruger Six series (Security, Service and Speed) are different depending on the serial number of the guns. If the gun is s/n 151- and higher (also called the high back frame) those grips will not fit on s/n's 150- (called the low back frame) and vice versa. Although there are some high s/n (151-) low back frames out there. So besides knowing the s/n you have to know if it is a high back or low back frame (if you are in the lower 151-s/n area) . From s/n 152- to the end, the frames did not change and grips from all those s/n's are interchangeable.

Some of the aftermarket grips for these guns are 6-32, the standard OEM grips are 8-36 (just measured to make sure)
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: Ruger Service 6 grips from Numrich with out screw

Xring,

Thank you for the reply, I knew about the 150/151 difference but not the low back/high back.

The Numrich grip fit perfect but no screw or information on what thread/size screw it needed. I went to the range and tried the new grips yesterday and really like the rubber grips.