Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    (Allegheny County)

Default Re: Consecutive numbered guns...are they worth more to you?

Quote Originally Posted by 39flathead View Post
    I really think your problem with me personally clouds your reading of my posts.
    Seems you are pissed about me buying Mosins?
    Really?

That's not all I buy.

UJ correctly stated why these USMC pistols are bringing what they bring.
    I gave the opinion that Colt fanatics would be the ones that would put more value on a consecutive pair.

You went into full on outrage and insult mode.
    Where did I say you were wrong?

I gave my opinion that it would take a Colt fanboy to drive prices high, UJ pretty much said the same thing without using the term fanboy.
    You took exception to me using the term and read what you wanted to read into my post.

You went into personal insult mode, not me pal.

Who said Union Switch and Signal pistols aren't worth anything?
    UJ asked for opinions about whether or not consecutive USMC guns would be worth a premium. I answered with facts including a current auction, the history of Colt-made boxed sets, and last but not least explicit reasons why these guns are extremely rare and therefore why a consecutive set might be worth a fortune in just a short time. You piped in at first (and then reaffirmed) that the only reason a premium might be reached at auction is if two "Colt fanboys" had to have the set. That is patently false and demonstrates ignorance about what these guns are (hint: they're a lot more than Colt 1911s) but you're incapable of admitting that you don't know what the hell you're talking about. I don't chime in on flathead Harleys but maybe I should since actual knowledge isn't a prerequisite to post.

Read this part again slowly: "To the bolded part, yep: it's only the pony. Not the military connection or USMC provenance or rarity or the fact that they mark the end of the 1911s USGI lineage. It's just the pony."

I won't bore you with my limited knowledge on the subject but let's just say that I can give you ridiculous amounts of data about why these guns have value beyond the "Colt fanboy" aspect.

(Indiana County)

Quite simply, it seems those that replied we're answering the general question asked in the thread title as well as this line of UJs original post:

Would any of you collectors out there spend more to have consecutive serial numbers of rare pieces in your collections even if these don't interest you?
    This is what I answered, you drug the opinions of those that replied prior to you into the weeds with insults and outright misinterpreted comments.

Nobody called you a liar or said you didn't know what you were talking about, that was you reading that somewhere it wasn't written by anyone posting in this thread.

I'm not going to be insulted by someone making utterly false statements because they have some sort of problem with me.

(Indiana County)

The current high bidder of the auction linked to is a fan boy as evidence by his purchase history.

I'm not going to be trolled.
    UJ asked a question and myself and others answered.
    If one has a problem, then so be it.
    Unsubscribed.

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by unclejumbo View Post
    Most telling for me about that auction is that the pair price is right in line with the price singles are going for. So far, they aren't commanding any premium at all.
    When they are double the normal price because of the story behind them its hard to go higher because of consecutive numbers because now your compounding the premium. In other words its too large a nut for most to come up with for a safe queen that lost the quick turnaround profits in the multiple of premiums.

Thats how I look at it anyways. You could find that guy but the search would most likely be epic. Better to keep more than one and see if they beat inflation over time.

Stone's throw from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    (Butler County)

The current high bidder of the auction linked to is a fan boy as evidence by his purchase history.

Unsubscribed.
    This is why it's wise to ignore "veiled insults" on the interwebs.

(Allegheny County)

Unsubscribed.
    The fanboy comment is the part that makes you look foolish. If you are a collector you should know better than to make that comment.

(Perry County)

I appreciate all of the input. I threw the dice and bought the consecutively numbered gun. I don't know if I'll sit on the pair for a bit or just throw them out there with a ridiculous price. I'll wait until the linked auction ends just to see what happens. There are always folks that think it's Ebay and jump in with 1 minute left. I went through 3 or 4 of those for this auction.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Bucks County)

I appreciate all of the input. I threw the dice and bought the consecutively numbered gun. I don't know if I'll sit on the pair for a bit or just throw them out there with a ridiculous price. I'll wait until the linked auction ends just to see what happens. There are always folks that think it's Ebay and jump in with 1 minute left. I went through 3 or 4 of those for this auction.
    I think you made the right decision. This thread just got sidetracked when you asked "are they are worth more TO YOU". Consecutively numbered collectible firearms ARE worth a lot more. Firearms distributors/manufacturers know this and that is why they rarely send sequentially numbered firearms to the same dealer. They mix them up. If a dealer does accidentally get a pair they will try and sell them for more money. Its even a bigger markup for collectible military rifles. From time to time the CMP will auction off sequentially numbered Garands. They go for at least twice the price of buying 2 singles.

You might want to sit on them till the current selling rush is over. Unless more are released I think the price will only go up. Then you will have a very rare set that will seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity to some rich collector. You just need to find 2 rich collectors for your auction.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by Delkal View Post
    I think you made the right decision. This thread just got sidetracked when you asked "are they are worth more TO YOU". Consecutively numbered collectible firearms ARE worth a lot more. Firearms distributors/manufacturers know this and that is why they rarely send sequentially numbered firearms to the same dealer. They mix them up. If a dealer does accidentally get a pair they will try and sell them for more money. Its even a bigger markup for collectible military rifles. From time to time the CMP will auction off sequentially numbered Garands. They go for at least twice the price of buying 2 singles.

You might want to sit on them till the current selling rush is over. Unless more are released I think the price will only go up. Then you will have a very rare set that will seem like a once in a lifetime opportunity to some rich collector. You just need to find 2 rich collectors for your auction.
    I'm heartened by the fact that some rich collector dropped $4500 for one of the unissued pistols with a buy-it-now just as they were starting to show up for resale. Those people are out there and someone will pay a big premium. I may have to wait a bit but I'll find a buyer.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

I'm heartened by the fact that some rich collector dropped $4500 for one of the unissued pistols with a buy-it-now just as they were starting to show up for resale. Those people are out there and someone will pay a big premium. I may have to wait a bit but I'll find a buyer.
    I'm sorry to have derailed your thread but have to say that I really believe you made the right decision. You were in a good no-lose position and stand to score big in just a short time. The GI 1911 world is full of collectors with deep pockets and yes, one will pay handsomely for your set.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast