Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    (Susquehanna County)

Default Re: Which of my handguns would be better for bear defense?

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    Seriously? The one that shoots 12 gauge slugs!
    Yeah that would certainly do the trick, but not the most convenient to carry while archery hunting. Not sure if it's legal in PA either to carry the shotgun and bow on an archery hunt.

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    Yeah that would certainly do the trick, but not the most convenient to carry while archery hunting. Not sure if it's legal in PA either to carry the shotgun and bow on an archery hunt.
    I believe during hunting season LTCF holders are permitted to carry a "self-defense" pistol with them, I also believe that applies during Archery season. BUT I do not believe a pistol suitable for hunting would be permitted. Best to refer to the "Hunting and Trapping Guide" or call the local game commission office and get it from the horse's mouth!

"Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities".

Assuming you've fired both guns enough to be confident in their performance, I'd take the .357 - no contest. If you're charged by a bear, you won't have time to empty either gun, so capacity isn't really a factor.

357 generally produces more muzzle energy than 45 ACP whether we're talking standard loads or +P. Only exception to that would be if the 357 has a much shorter barrel than the 45, then the 45 may have an energy advantage.

Having said that, I'd take the bear spray. It not only gives you a cone of coverage instead of a single point, but the blast lasts a little while, which means you can sweep into the bear if he moves or you miss.

(Chester County)

I picked up a s&w model 625 custom mountain gun in 45colt to be my mountain/bear gun. Not because I think I need it, but because I knew the significant other wouldn't argue with the purchase when I told her why I wanted it. You can get some really hopped up loads for 45colt. When I backpack or hunt, I carry my glock 26, Springfield xds 45, Springfield emp 1911, or commander size 1911. I picked based on my preference that day and the pack I will be hauling because my packs have different should strap/waist belt configurations. Whatever you carry has to be accessible and comfortable. You are much more likely to encounter angry two legged critters in the woods than you are an angry four legged one. But I get being prepared. If it were me, I'd take the 45.

(Chester County)

For what it's worth, I used to be a pa dcnr ranger and we carried s&w 5906 9mm's. I had heard they were switching to glock 21's. I'm not sure they ever did but I think the WCO's in the game commission carry glock 37 (357 Sig). Between rangers and game wardens, you'd like to think that if the state felt as though something bigger was needed, it would be issued. I was in the SE but I know they issued bear spray to the north central rangers along with the 5906.

Hokkmike Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Brick View Post
    I believe during hunting season LTCF holders are permitted to carry a "self-defense" pistol with them, I also believe that applies during Archery season. BUT I do not believe a pistol suitable for hunting would be permitted. Best to refer to the "Hunting and Trapping Guide" or call the local game commission office and get it from the horse's mouth!
    LTCF does not specify the weapon by brand, type, or serial #.....

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234