Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    (Wayne County)

Default Re: Which of my handguns would be better for bear defense?

No need to carry the .45. The .357 is more than enough gun to kill a bear. I work with a guy from the Pottsville area whose family is the biggest bunch of bear hunting junkies that I've ever seen. Almost all carry .357 magnums and they take 3-4 bear every season.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I'm sorry that you don't like the answers; a can of bear spray is far more likely to be effective than a pistol. You can even get them with holsters. Here is advice from the
    National Park Service:
    https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm
    From The Art of Manliness:
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...a-bear-attack/
    The Fish and Wildlife Service reports that firearms use is only about 50% effective in deterring bear attacks:
    https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie...ar%20spray.pdf
    The results of a research study indicate that bear spray is 90% or better effective in fending off bear attacks:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_coug...prayAlaska.pdf

So, if you think that you can draw and fire ACCURATELY at a charging bear in order to stop it before it barrels into you (even a dying bear with momentum can damage you severely), you have every right to be disappointed in the responses. On the other hand, the data available suggest that you significantly increase your chances of coming away without major injury if you use bear spray.

Be careful using those links. All of that information is based off of the research of Stephen Herrero (the author of the last article you posted). From what I've read, Herrero's studies have a very anti-gun bias and he likes to compare situations that are unrelated. While a good OC spray is proven to be effective, Herrero's research tends to be biased against guns and their effective use. The Park Service documents refer to Herrero's work.
    Sed ego sum homo indomitus

Hokkmike Guest

Had a black bear in a tree in my back yard. it couldn't wait for me to take my dog to the front yard so it can run away.

In a different scenario, at a place called Bear Wallow, a black bear was seen circling a cabin where youth were spending a weekend. Obviously, these guys have been fed by previous campers. A bear that is not afraid of humans can be dangerous.

.45 would be my choice - but if you really want a gun for bear defense my minimum would be a .44 mag.

(Susquehanna County)

Thanks for your information and advice guys! I appreciate it. I am going to do a little turkey hunting tomorrow morning. Between the Mossberg 535 with 3.5'' mags and my 45 I think ill be pretty safe. I might throw my 357 on my other hip just for fun(it doesn't weigh very much).

Isaac

(Susquehanna County)

Quote Originally Posted by dannyb View Post
    I'm sorry that you don't like the answers; a can of bear spray is far more likely to be effective than a pistol. You can even get them with holsters. Here is advice from the
    National Park Service:
    https://www.nps.gov/subjects/bears/safety.htm
    From The Art of Manliness:
    http://www.artofmanliness.com/2008/0...a-bear-attack/
    The Fish and Wildlife Service reports that firearms use is only about 50% effective in deterring bear attacks:
    https://www.fws.gov/mountain-prairie...ar%20spray.pdf
    The results of a research study indicate that bear spray is 90% or better effective in fending off bear attacks:
    http://wdfw.wa.gov/hunting/bear_coug...prayAlaska.pdf

So, if you think that you can draw and fire ACCURATELY at a charging bear in order to stop it before it barrels into you (even a dying bear with momentum can damage you severely), you have every right to be disappointed in the responses. On the other hand, the data available suggest that you significantly increase your chances of coming away without major injury if you use bear spray.
    Wouldn't it take about the same amount of time to draw a gun from a holster as it would to draw a can of bear spray? If a bear gets that close to me it's going to die, not get sprayed with something non lethal. That data is pretty biased by an author who is pretty much anti gun.

(Susquehanna County)

^
    If I used a can of spray it would be my luck that the wind would blow that crap back in my own face and blind me temporarily. Id rather not fight a bear without my eyesight. It's always windy up on the mountain where I am hunting. I'd rather stick with a gun.

Two observations if I may... #1 the spray is like a fogger almost in the sense that you can draw it quickly and deploy with probably more margin of error in regards to accuracy as compared to a single projectile.
    #2 If I'm carrying a shotgun or rifle with anything most substantial than light field loads, I'm not going to concern myself with carrying a side arm. A blast from a 3.5" turkey load at close range is going to be more substantial than either a .357 or .45acp IMO.

(Bucks County)

Not really the best firearm choices if you really think you will be attacked by a bear. But when you decide make sure you file the front site off and polish the end of the barrel nice and shiny..............

Its not for a quick snag free draw. Its so it does not hurt as much for when the bear shoves it up your ass........

If you don't mind carrying both then do so. If I had to choose only one it would be the .357 . The reason being is wheel guns tend to malfunction far less than a semi auto. Flashlights, lasers are nice but IMO not required. If my life is on the line against a four legged critter Ill take a revolver. In the scenario given maybe rolling around on the ground with an animal I would want the reliability of a wheel gun it as simple as that to me. I carry a S&W 500. for bear, even if the opportunity to carry a semi auto for hunting I would still take the wheel gun.

Hobbs make a list of Pros and Cons something like this. Keep in mind your skill level is something that only you truly can judge.

Semi auto Pros...More rounds, flash light and laser, quicker reloads and so on. Proven round on two legged critters

Cons....malfunctions, Failure to feed, eject, stove pipe, and so on

Revolver Pros.... reliability seldom malfunctions ease of operation under stress, proven round on two and four legged critters.

Cons... Slow to reload, no flashlight or laser attached and so on.

This is just my opinion, YMMV.
    Aggies Coach Really ??? Take off the tin foil bro.

(Allegheny County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    Thanks for your information and advice guys! I appreciate it. I am going to do a little turkey hunting tomorrow morning. Between the Mossberg 535 with 3.5'' mags and my 45 I think ill be pretty safe. I might throw my 357 on my other hip just for fun(it doesn't weigh very much).

Isaac
    My gut feeling is that even 2oz of #5 shot is not going to do much to stop a bear...

(Butler County)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs4421 View Post
    I do not yet have the funds to purchase a 44 Mag, but at some point I will have the funds and purchase one. For the time being, I have 2 handguns to chose from. The primary purpose would be for protection against bears and other animals here in PA while I'm archery hunting, turkey hunting and /or hiking.

My 1st option is my S&W M&P 45. I have an extended mag for it so I can have 14+1 I believe. I will have it loaded with 230 grain hard cast ammo(not sure which brand yet. I am a real good shot with this gun since I've had it a while . It also has night sights, Crimson Laser grips and Crimson Lightguard installed on this gun.

My second option is my new Charter Arms 357 Mag. It only holds five shots, and since it's not a real expensive gun, I don't know how it would hold up if I were to put heavy duty Buffalo Bore ammo through it.

I may carry them both with me, but I think my go to will be the 45 unless you guys push me in the other direction

Which gun would have more power/KE? The 45 ammo is beefy but short, and the 357 Mag is longer but not as robust looking.

Thanks in advance for your help, Isaac
    I have a 45ACP Bersa (takes 7+1) and two 357's... a Dan Wesson M15, and like you, a Charter Bulldog...but with a 6" barrel. The Dan Wesson has kind of become my trail/bear handgun. Before that I brought the Bulldog, and before that the Bersa. I am MUCH more accurate with both 357's than than the Bersa. It might not be the case with your M&P as it is a pretty well-balanced gun with plenty of heft. 45 ACP has proven itself not to be a very effective round for Bears but with as many rounds as you have I can see much better odds. A fair hit with a 357 will make a black bear stagger and reel and an entire cylinder we'll do a real number on them. However a injured bear which hasn't been hit in the vitals will still get right back up and come at you. Since my only 45 is small and compact it's not particularly accurate and I only get 8 shots. I can get softball-sized groups at 25 yards with both my 357. The Dan Wesson takes 6 shots and the Bulldog takes 5. Forebears you'll probably want to use some of the heaviest 357 as you can get... at least 180 grain. Its the light and fast rounds you have to be careful of using a lot of in a lower end gun. They have more shock and blast and have been known to damage forcing cones and cylinders and such. I wouldn't worry too much about using 180 grains with a medium fast load in the bulldog as long as you're not running it hot at the range every day. If I were you I'd save up for a Ruger 357 sixshooter of some sort as a trail gun, maybe a Service Six.
    Last edited by FJW; May 3rd, 2017 at 10:58 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast