Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
    (Westmoreland County)

Default OC when too lazy to CC?

I have been CC for many years now. Every so often, when I am lazy, I will OC. In the summer, I often just have a t-shirt on & jeans that are too tight for comfortable IWB carry. Instead of changing, I insert the holster outside of the pants and inside the belt. I use a Milt Sparks VM-2 holster which holds the gun very securely. There is no positive retention, but it takes a very deliberate draw with a significant force at a very specific angle. I seriously doubt that someone could walk up behind me & easily unholster my gun.

I am still uncomfortable (very self conscious) when I do this - much the same when I started to CC. Frankly, I do not like to draw attention to myself & the fact that I am carrying. Also, even though I am confident about someone not being able to draw my gun, that is always on my mind. I am not sure where I am going with this, but would appreciate some feedback.

(Indiana County)

Default Re: OC when too lazy to CC?

Welcome to the club. You're not the first, nor the last, to experience some uncomfortableness with first time open carrying. It happens to everyone, I'm sure.

Over time you'll get more comfortable doing so, noticing that people essentially don't notice you, or care, or both.

Open carry, concealed carry, or don't carry - it's your choice.

(Northampton County)

I CC when I am too lazy to OC.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

(Delaware County)

Not much to say. Do what is comfortable. There are many reasons to carry either way. There are also many reasons to not carry either way.

I was mostly oc for several years and had some serious encounters with the police. I had a couple minor encounters with non law enforcement. For the most part people either did not notice or not care. I stopped oc and mostly cc unless I am out back or in the front of my home. My attitude and feelings on being stopped by the PO-PO are why I stopped oc.

In my opinion it is a very personal decision on whether to oc or cc in today's world. Good luck with getting this straight in your own mind.
    Some people just plain suck.
    If you're gonna be dumb ya gotta be tough.

(Lancaster County)

I don't know if I'd oc if I didn't live where I do. I'm more comfortable open carry with my Safariland than any of my iwb holsters carrying concealed. If I had to deal with aggressive police I'm not sure. I do not have the character traits for uneducated people with power and authority. That's not a good thing and I recognize it.

(Philadelphia County)

The title is me in a nutshell

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by MMH View Post
    Every so often, when I am lazy, I will OC.

Does this affect your situational awareness, the laziness?
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Carbon County)

Quote Originally Posted by Statkowski View Post
    Over time you'll get more comfortable doing so, noticing that people essentially don't notice you, or care, or both.
    This. I've open carried for years now. Most people don't notice, and most of those who do notice either don't care or are interested to find out that it is legal to do so. I've had maybe a dozen times where people did notice and cared enough to mention it, and I'm certain I've convinced others to get there permits because of those conversations. All of those times happened while living in Allentown, now that I'm a bit more rural, nobody even mentions it.

(Tioga County)

I OC over 90% of the time. In my area there is no issue with it. I have been living and packing in PA for over 17 years. I have never had an issue with the Po-po. I guess a lot depends on were you live. When I OC it doesn't seem to me to have any effect on my SA. But I have always had a heighten sense of SA from my many years in the service.
    USNRET '61-'81