Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    (Lancaster County)

Default Re: AR-15 OC in Reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I am all for preserving our rights, especially the 2nd Amendment. I simply don't believe this is the best way to garner support.
    It's really difficult to say though isn't it? We don't know what he was doing other than he entered the restaurant.
    Could be he was handing out pamphlets and discussing the 2A. Similar to Black Guns Matter and Maj Toure.
    The article wasn't bad just a lot of generalities

(Philadelphia County)

Quote Originally Posted by Mitch10mm View Post
    It's really difficult to say though isn't it? We don't know what he was doing other than he entered the restaurant.
    Could be he was handing out pamphlets and discussing the 2A. Similar to Black Guns Matter and Maj Toure.
    The article wasn't bad just a lot of generalities
    I'll agree that I don't put a lot of faith in what and how the media reports today. But I still think a 'shock and awe' style of activism is not the style that we should strive for.

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    On his back? I don't give a shit. I see people walking into town with rifles all the time during hunting season. Is it the blackness that got their panties in a bunch?

I have always said, I will OC a rifle for any reason. They can suck my dick. But I will not do it for no reason. It's not our custom. No idea what this guy was up to. But GL is right. When you show up with a sidearm, people assume it is for defense. When you show up with a toolbox, people don't assume you have it just in case. They assume you are there to fix something. When you show up with a rifle, people don't assume you have that just in case, either, people assume there is a reason for it. When you show up with a rifle at low ready, or have 20 people run into Crackerbarrel with them, you are a being a douchebag.
    People had better get used to it, because even with it being small game only, black rifles are going to become very common hunting firearms. I wouldn't hunt a deer with a 5..56 round even if/when semi autos become legal for it, but I know people who do even with bolt guns.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

(Juniata County)

Quote Originally Posted by twency View Post
    It definitely would have upped my SA. Which is a good thing. I'm far too complacent most of the time.

I've had friends ask me (in discussions about others open carrying) "how do I know if he's a good guy with a gun or a bad guy with a gun"? The answer is you don't know for sure; but he could just as easily be a bad guy with a concealed gun as a bad guy with an openly displayed gun, and then you'd likely be worse off if things went south because you wouldn't have been as alert to the potential threat.
    Shrug. Only criminals have a need to hide their weapons.

Quote Originally Posted by ungawa View Post
    Let's start with wearing your pants below your ass.

We have customs in our culture. One of those is carrying longarms in gun cases. If you don't have a gun case, or you have more guns packed in your car than cases available, or you are on foot and plan to shoot something, or you are demonstrating, fine. I don't care if you walk down the street with a longarm. Last Harrisburg 2A event I went to (I actually missed one due to illness) I carried a rifle through the entire downtown. I got a lot of confused looks. I didn't want somebody to see me put it in the car. I went into Philly Cheesesteak and half the people picked up their cell phones. No cops came, they knew what was up. After ordering I took it off and leaned it upside down against the wall. Now, I don't give a crap. I had a reason to have it. But I am not going to cause that kind of commotion for no reason.

It's like my neighbor that stages the invasion of Normandy in the middle of the night once a year. I don't care, he's having a giant party. If he did that every other night there would be a problem. It's pretty simple.
    I literally could not do this. I only have one hard care, and one cheap soft case for my long arms. Cardboard boxes is pretty common these days, when you buy new firearms, and for used ones, it is a crap shoot. Hell, I'm not even sure if I still have the hard case, but I don't remember getting rid of it.
    Last edited by PAMedic=F|A=; May 10th, 2017 at 01:51 PM.
    "Cives Arma Ferant"

"I know I'm not James Bond, that's why I don't keep a loaded gun under the pillow, or bang Russian spies on a regular basis." - GunLawyer001

Quote Originally Posted by PAMedic=F|A= View Post
    People had better get used to it, because even with it being small game only, black rifles are going to become very common hunting firearms. I wouldn't hunt a deer with a 5..56 round even if/when semi autos become legal for it, but I know people who do even with bolt guns.
    but people can get those evil black rifles in .308 fine for deer and looks almost the same. heres hoping for big game soon.
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Montgomery County)

I wouldn't personally OC a rifle outside of a planned public event, like a 2A rally, unless there's some real nasty stuff going down... and even then I'd rather just avoid the situation.

My pistol, however, yeah zero problem open carrying that.

That said, I will fight tooth and nail if the government tries to take away OC in any form. Just because I don't want to do it doesn't mean it should be illegal.

(Cambria County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carson View Post
    I am all for preserving our rights, especially the 2nd Amendment. I simply don't believe this is the best way to garner support.
    It is definitely a far-from-ideal way of garnering support, but it's pretty much the best way available at the moment. Writing a letter to Congress asking for a resolution affirming the right to OC an AR really ain't going to cut it.

Based on the response from the local authorities, they might not like the OCer's activities, but they aren't chasing him around trying to find any excuse to burn him that they can. That's clearly something of a win that normalizes the behavior a little, and makes people more aware of 2A rights.

I respect the people that have the courage to OC long arms. I would like to see it normalized. If it weren't such a hot issue that would negatively impact my career, I would OC my AR all the time.

I remember that it took me a couple months to get used to always having my AR on me, or within reach, during my first deployment. For weeks when we were staging in Kuwait and during other times I had to get used to moving the rifle around to eat, shit, brush my teeth, sleep, and every other thing. I didn't just take the rifle on operations, I lived with it as though it was part of me.

As I said, it took a couple months to get used to having it with me. Years, and years later I'm still really not used to not having it there.

Yeah I support people with the ability and will to take steps, even small ones, to help normalize the behavior. I aspire to be an open rifle carrying muldoon when I retire.

Quote Originally Posted by fallenleader View Post
    but people can get those evil black rifles in .308 fine for deer and looks almost the same. heres hoping for big game soon.
    There are dozens of cartridges with more power than the .223 being chambered in AR15s alone. Don't really even have to step up to an AR10/SR25 rifle. The AR15 I have for larger game will throw a 405gr bullet (with a .370" metplat) over 1600 fps.

I'm hoping to see the Amish on their scooters with an AR slung in the near future. Should give all the tourists something to drop their jaw at....

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    There are dozens of cartridges with more power than the .223 being chambered in AR15s alone. Don't really even have to step up to an AR10/SR25 rifle. The AR15 I have for larger game will throw a 405gr bullet (with a .370" metplat) over 1600 fps.

I'm hoping to see the Amish on their scooters with an AR slung in the near future. Should give all the tourists something to drop their jaw at....
    i know i know, it was just an example and a hope for big game soon.
    the ar is a versatile platform, can do just about anything with it, except get rid of the stick in it's butt.(buffer)
    There is no way to make it out alive...

(Berks County)

Quote Originally Posted by Carnes View Post
    It is definitely a far-from-ideal way of garnering support, but it's pretty much the best way available at the moment. Writing a letter to Congress asking for a resolution affirming the right to OC an AR really ain't going to cut it.

Based on the response from the local authorities, they might not like the OCer's activities, but they aren't chasing him around trying to find any excuse to burn him that they can. That's clearly something of a win that normalizes the behavior a little, and makes people more aware of 2A rights.

I respect the people that have the courage to OC long arms. I would like to see it normalized. If it weren't such a hot issue that would negatively impact my career, I would OC my AR all the time.

I remember that it took me a couple months to get used to always having my AR on me, or within reach, during my first deployment. For weeks when we were staging in Kuwait and during other times I had to get used to moving the rifle around to eat, shit, brush my teeth, sleep, and every other thing. I didn't just take the rifle on operations, I lived with it as though it was part of me.

As I said, it took a couple months to get used to having it with me. Years, and years later I'm still really not used to not having it there.

Yeah I support people with the ability and will to take steps, even small ones, to help normalize the behavior. I aspire to be an open rifle carrying muldoon when I retire.
    Thank you for your service. That reminds me of this scene from Full Metal Jacket.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast