Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    (York County)

Default What would you do if someone tried to grab your gun

I usually don't OC, almost always CC but once in a while if I'm just running out somewhere real quick, or if I feel like it I'll OC. I started thinking about a situation that I'm not sure of the correct or legal response to, which is if you were OC'ing and someone attempts to grab your gun, what is the appropriate response? Of course when OC'ing my situational awareness is heightened and I carry in a retention holster, but in the event someone did get their hand on it, and you were able to break away, do you draw on them? Is the attempted grab considered a self-defense situation? Looking for any input or if anyone has had this happen before what did you do?

(Allegheny County)

Default Re: What would you do if someone tried to grab your gun

Wouldn't it be nice if there were answers to questions like this?

There are always variables and no way to answer without all the details.

I've had it happen, but it was in a retention class where we all took turns attempting to disarm and also preventing being disarmed.
    Very eye opening.

All I can say is that if someone is forcibly attempting to take your handgun from you, they are not likely doing if with good intentions.
    I'll do what I need to do to survive. The jury will have to decide if my actions were legal after the fact.
    I called to check my ZIP CODE!....DY-NO-MITE!!!

(Delaware County)

Yeah, that's a question that has so many variables that change very dynamically and at such a rapid rate, any given "well if it were ME" conversation is just talking out of your poop chute. There's always ten things each of us would like to think we would do, but there's literally no way to predict the outcome of a gun grab.

As Empty noted, someone who is trying to disarm you (NOT in a retention class setting) is struggling to take a deadly weapon from you, presumably so they can use it - and you're the most likely target. Therefore, it's safe to assume the person trying to take it from you in going to try and do you harm with it. That having been said, it could also be a security guard, a uniformed cop, or some other well-meaning but unwise person. It could be a child or a teen who thinks he or she is being funny. You have to be prepared for a lot of different avenues of de-escalating a situation...but fortunately, much to the chagrin of Shannon Watts and the Looney Left, open carry people are very rarely attacked for their weapons.

By very rarely, I mean, I think it has happened twice, where it was documented that someone who was clearly carrying a weapons was disarmed and attacked/robbed. Ever. And I think in one of them, the guy just had a pistol hanging out in his back pocket - the other one was actually a well-meaning conceal carryer who was made and snuck up on, and who wasn't being very situationally aware.
    Junior

(Chester County)

Stab them with your knife while they are paying attention to your gun. Always carry a knife your non gun hand can reach. If you carry and shoot right handed keep your knife so your left hand can be used to defend yourself from a disarming attack. If someone is trying to disarm you and they don't identify themselves as a police officer you can be certain they are looking to do you or others harm with your firearm. This is why a retention holster is so important when open carrying. Stab at the attackers hand or arm so they withdraw it. If it's that critical of a situation stab low in the abdominal area, below the belt. Immediate profuse bleeding will make an attacker back off quickly and the loss of blood will weaken them. I prefer a fixed blade knife carried on my left side that has at least a 3" blade. 4" is better. If someone is trying to disarm you, you are already fighting for your life. This is the way I conduct myself when open carrying and your opinions and ideas may be different.
    Last edited by JenniferG; May 1st, 2017 at 04:03 AM.
    Corruption is the default behavior of government officials. JPC

Jen nailed it. Carry a knife weakside and practice practice practice drawing it weakside. I usually carry a spring assisted knife.

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by cham09 View Post
    I usually don't OC, almost always CC but once in a while if I'm just running out somewhere real quick, or if I feel like it I'll OC. I started thinking about a situation that I'm not sure of the correct or legal response to, which is if you were OC'ing and someone attempts to grab your gun, what is the appropriate response? Of course when OC'ing my situational awareness is heightened and I carry in a retention holster, but in the event someone did get their hand on it, and you were able to break away, do you draw on them? Is the attempted grab considered a self-defense situation? Looking for any input or if anyone has had this happen before what did you do?
    Drawing a firearm is meant to stop the threat of imminent danger that you reasonably believe would result in your loss of life or major physical harm.

If you fought your way to escape the aggressor's attempt, that does not mean the threat is over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggies Coach View Post
    Cause white people are awesome. Happy now......LOL.

(Northampton County)

Joint lock their wrist, put one leg over their arm, have a seat and break it in half.
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

the key is, have a plan, practice that plan and when "plan A" fails; have a plan B
    Derrion Albert was my Hero.

(Schuylkill County)

We know what police do in that situation. Grabbing for a cop's gun is a death sentence.

Example? Mike Brown
    ...And these just from the first page of a google search.
    https://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/1...ing-get-armed/
    http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/m...gun-police-say
    http://www.indystar.com/story/news/c...side/92422024/
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.d7c2bf81e322

(Northampton County)

Quote Originally Posted by bigandy1966 View Post
    the key is, have a plan, practice that plan and when "plan A" fails; have a plan B
    It beats the shit out of "Good question."
    http://forum.pafoa.org/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=5230&dateline=1441069  448

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast