Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

(Bucks County)

Default Looking for input from folks reloading for an M1A Scout rifle

A fellow in our club has a scout rifle with a Leupold pistol scope on it. He has been reloading for it and getting unbelievably scattered dispersions. He was at the bench this past week with a dial caliper and paper tracking his results. His loads were BLC2, 147 grain bullets, and he was trying to resolve the weird POIs via seating depths to the thousandths. Not working. Minute of man with unexplainable flyers at 100 yards.

The first time I saw him he was waiting a good three or four minutes between shots, in an effort to keep the barrel from getting too warm. (I think he is onto something there.)

Meanwhile I was shooting my .308 bolt rifle with my 168 SMK, RL-15 and IMR 4064 loads which tend to group clover-style or better at 100. I asked if I could try my loads in his rifle and he agreed.

One of my front rests is a scissors jack with a piece of metal I attached formed into a U with dense foam taped to it. A small bag supports the heel of the stock.
    My rifle on this arrangement can wiggle a bit. That M1A did not. It was like it was sitting on rocks. Wow.

First shot. Oh, there it is. Second shot about an inch off of the first. Third shot several inches in the opposite direct. Fourth wider still, and in the other direction.
    Damn! I kept firing and it continued to have a mind of its own.

The "group' was within a six-inch circle including the weird flyers. I had pretty much duplicated the dispersions he has been fighting.

So, I am posting looking for info from experienced M1A fans. I'd really like to help this gentleman. He is trying so hard to tame the beast. I have been perusing sites addressing the subject and it appears that some of these rifles just refuse to be more than a minute of man battle rifle. As a long-time reloader, I still think a right combination lurks.

(Berks County)

Default Re: Looking for input from folks reloading for an M1A Scout rifle

Bedding.

(Tioga County)

Firearms News just did a lengthy 3-4 part series on accuritizing the M1A. They seem to be high maintenance, finicky, bitchy guns to me.

(Perry County)

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    Firearms News just did a lengthy 3-4 part series on accuritizing the M1A. They seem to be high maintenance, finicky, bitchy guns to me.
    Made by a shitty company...boycott them into obscurity. OK, I'm done now.
    "A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself"

"He created the game, played the game, and lost the game.... All under his own terms, by his own doing." JW34

"Tolerance is the lube that helps slip the dildo of dysfunction into the ass of a civilized society." Plato

(Allegheny County)

These rifles aren't bench rest competition quality. Most scouts fall into the 2-4 moa range. If his acuracy is worse than this check the compensator, look for bullet strikes.

If that is ok remove the barreled action and inspect the stock for signs of the op rod rubbing. If there ar obvious signs of this relieve the area that is rubning.

If this doesn't work post over at the m14 forum. There are master smiths on that site that will talk him threw it.
    They are really good people over there and will be glad to help.

Also tell him to watch the Tony Ben videos on you tube. The man is a m14 genius.

(Clinton County)

Quote Originally Posted by DukeConnor View Post
    These rifles aren't bench rest competition quality. Most scouts fall into the 2-4 moa range. If his acuracy is worse than this check the compensator, look for bullet strikes.

If that is ok remove the barreled action and inspect the stock for signs of the op rod rubbing. If there ar obvious signs of this relieve the area that is rubning.

If this doesn't work post over at the m14 forum. There are master smiths on that site that will talk him threw it.
    They are really good people over there and will be glad to help.

Also tell him to watch the Tony Ben videos on you tube. The man is a m14 genius.
    Very good advice I go there for everything M1A related and reloading for it and the m1 garand. Very good info over there and they are helpful to all.

Quote Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
    OK.

I don't speak English , I talk American!

(Chester County)

Make sure the action is bolted down tightly. Check for locking pressure at the breech. Worn out springs may cause early unlock and throw groups. Remove the FH/Comp and check the crown for knicks/dings. How does throat and muzzle erosion look?

To me, my bet is on the action being very loose in the stock. Try cranking down the bolts (to spec) and see if that closes the group up. If not, I'd try bedding as suggested above. Lots to look for in M1A pattern rifles unfortunately. Wanneroo said it best, "They seem to be high maintenance, finicky, bitchy guns to me."

They will rarely, if ever, shoot cloverleafs. Most of the time, they're 2-3 MOA guns from the bench. Lots of money required to get down to 1 MOA most of the time. Anyone who tells you otherwise is fooling themselves.

However, they are very reliable and helluva lotta fun to shoot.
    I'm only here for the wood c-rings.

If you are unable to fix the problem call Ron Smith of Smith Industries out here in Phoenix AZ. His family has been into that weapon for longer then I know. He can help you over the phone.

(Bucks County)

Sorry for my lack of response to the posted help. I only bump into this gentleman if we both happen to simultaneously come to the club range. Last time I saw him I gave him a list of suggestions I had assembled from these posts. I haven't seen him for a while.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast