Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    (Bucks County)

Default On line pistol purchase

The last time I purchased a pistol the internet as we know it didn't yet exist.

Now with the deals I'm seeing on the S&W Shields I'm considering buying one online. One of the things I noticed was that the website said:

Quote Originally Posted by gunbuyer.com
    When selecting an FFL it is your responsibility to contact the dealer prior to purchasing to ensure they will accept your transfer and to go over any additional requirements they may have.
    It answered the question I had as far as "does the FFL need to know it is coming before it gets to his shop"....but it raised a few more.

Are there FFL's that won't accept/transfer an online purchase?
    What "additional requirements" might there be?

A side question a coworker had

When you purchase online the gun gets sent to the FFL where he does the background check. What happens if you "get denied" on that check and can't take possession of the pistol?
    Last edited by mrjam2jab; April 28th, 2017 at 10:58 PM.

Default Re: On line pistol purchase

the online shops that i have used have a FFL lookup.... some stores don't like to deal with "buds" and charge an excessive fee.

i have a local guy that i found and accepts all of my online purchases.

not sure about the denied status - no doubt there is a standard procedure in place.

try this link to look up FFLs in your area:

http://grabagun.com/ffl-locator.html

(Bucks County)

Not sure about the second question.

As far as the FFL transfer goes, call the shop first and ask their transfer fee for online purchases. Then after ordering, tell them you ordered something to be shipped there for transfer. Some online dealers will have the shops info already, some will need the shop to send them a copy of the FFL. Also check Tanner's in Jamison. Their deals on the S&W guns are very close to online deals, and you won't have to pay a transfer fee or shipping.

(Bucks County)

Quote Originally Posted by McSull View Post
    Not sure about the second question.

As far as the FFL transfer goes, call the shop first and ask their transfer fee for online purchases. Then after ordering, tell them you ordered something to be shipped there for transfer. Some online dealers will have the shops info already, some will need the shop to send them a copy of the FFL. Also check Tanner's in Jamison. Their deals on the S&W guns are very close to online deals, and you won't have to pay a transfer fee or shipping.

^^^This^^^

Call first or stop in and ask them. You can also ask if they can come close to the price online. I would try Tanner's too, I'll bet that they can.

Most of the FFLs in the FFL Finder will already have their info on file at the biggest sellers.

My local FFL just calls me when it comes in.

(Wyoming County)

Great questions! It actually made me think & I need to get some policies in place

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

Now with the deals I'm seeing on the S&W Shields I'm considering buying one online. One of the things I noticed was that the website said:

It answered the question I had as far as "does the FFL need to know it is coming before it gets to his shop"....but it raised a few more.

Are there FFL's that won't accept/transfer an online purchase? Yes. I can think of at least one. If you aren't buying from them, they aren't going to facilitate you shopping elsewhere. I'm not judging just sharing the info.

What "additional requirements" might there be? Business hours/Availability of home based FFL?

When you purchase online the gun gets sent to the FFL where he does the background check. What happens if you "get denied" on that check and can't take possession of the pistol?

Well, that depends on the policy's of both the shipping & receiving FFL

Example: Receiving FFL gives you the paperwork to file an appeal, and perhaps a defined amount of time to file said appeal & await the PICS decision all without storage fees. In the event of a request to return, the sending FFL will probably want shipping to be paid by buyer & will probably have a restocking fee. If the buyer is truly prohibited or just not willing to appeal the denial the receiving FFL may offer to buy gun or do a consignment.

*ETA: You also still have to pay the transfer fee of the receiving FFL
    Last edited by ExFlyinguy; April 28th, 2017 at 05:50 PM.
    "It seems that the Constitution is more or less guidelines than actual rules"
    My feedback: http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=305685

(Centre County)

ExFlyingguy pretty much wrapped it up fine.

Here is what I tell my customers:

Call or email me to let me know that you are ordering something. Give me the Who you are ordering it from (so I can facilitate the shipment and if needed send a copy of my license to the seller), What you are ordering and any order number or auction number so I can converse with the seller intelligently.

I will respond to your call or email giving you my shop hours and transfer fee. I will also tell you what documentation you need to bring (typically just your PA DL, but there are many other scenerios that require other docs depending on what you are ordering, where you live, if you are a foreign national or a green card holders, etc., etc.)

Once the firearm arrives, I will log it into my books, as per BATFE regulations and then call or email you telling you it arrived.

When you come in you will fill out the required paperwork and I'll do the background check (BGC). If all ok, I finish the paperwork, you pay me my transfer fee and you leave with your new gun (and the goodies I give out with all transfers).

If not ok, and you are denied, I will not pry but ask if there is ANYTHING in your past that might make you prohibited. If there is nothing, I will give you the challenge paperwork and explain how to fill it out and what the time frame is to get it to the PSP (30 days from date of denial). I will then be paid for the transfer and will store the gun until you hear back from the PSP.

If overturned and you are approved, there will be a bit of paperwork to be done and you will get your gun.

If you are denied again, or you don't wish to do the challenge, I can do several things:
    1. Contact the seller about returning the gun and what the charges will be (restocking fees, etc.) If you go this route, I will ship it back for you and you will pay me for this service.
    2. I may offer to buy it outright from you. Be advised though, I will not offer more than what I can buy it for as a dealer (if a new gun). If a used gun, I will determine what I think it is actually worth and make a decision on what to offer you for it.
    3. I can offer to sell it on consignment and try to get the best price possible and then collect my consignment fee (normally at least 15%). We will fill out and sign the consignment document and I will contact you when the gun has been sold and either cut and mail you a check or have you stop by and get paid cash (a receipt is given either way).

DO NOT ask me if a family member or a buddy can come in and do the BGC and get the gun, that smacks of a straw purchase and I will not do that kind of a transfer.
    Ron USAF Ret E-8 FFL01/SOT3 NRA Benefactor Member

(Montgomery County)

Tanner's will be close to or better than online prices for a shield all said and done with tax&PICS vs. shipping & transfer.

(Lehigh County)

My personal experience where I live is that I can get within $25 or so of best online prices on a $800-1000 MSRP gun by asking for the best price from my LGS. It's worth it in goodwill for me. He gave me a flashlight at Christmastime last year.
    NRA Life Member

(Erie County)

Quote Originally Posted by mrjam2jab View Post

Are there FFL's that won't accept/transfer an online purchase?
    What "additional requirements" might there be?

Most online companies have a list of approved FFL's that don't need to send a copy of their FFL to be sent your gun. I found one that has a home business doing mostly Class III business,so he doesn't handle anything I buy. He charges 20.00 a transfer. I just send him an email if something is on the way, and he sends me one when it comes in, and when to pick it up.

No idea about the second question. My opinion is that the FFL would send it back, same as a defective gun that you refused. But just my opinion, and IANAL.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast