Pennsylvania Firearm Owners Association
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NRA CarryGuard

(York County)

Default Re: NRA CarryGuard

ACLDN is my choice.

(Lehigh County)

Carry Guard is a great program! It is not through the NRA so the NRA is not receiving any profit from this insurance program. The insurance is through Chubb and they receive the profit. The NRA just made this program through Chubb to allow all of their members to receive vital insurance when carrying a firearm. Not sure why there is so much hate on the NRA for offering this program when all of you who carry know the risks we have when carrying a loaded firearm. This is a necessary insurance to have to not only protect you but your loved ones and your firearms.

(Lancaster County)

Personally I think this "Carry Insurance" is a bunch of snake oil salesmen trying to make a buck of fearmongering, I have been carrying for 30 years or so and never had to unholster, I will carry for the rest of my stay on this planet and the odds are I will never un holster. That being said, I do avoid places where the "need" or if the situational awareness requires a bump in status, but ugly things can happen anywhere and anytime, I will take a roll of the dice for the moment of life that very likely will not happen.

As more of the insurance companies see this as another way to separate law abiding citizens, practicing a law abiding right from their money the forces against us will make it a requirement to have that right

(Chester County)

[QUOTE=SgtRecon;3565272]Personally I think this "Carry Insurance" is a bunch of snake oil salesmen trying to make a buck of fearmongering, I have been carrying for 30 years or so and never had to unholster, I will carry for the rest of my stay on this planet and the odds are I will never un holster. That being said, I do avoid places where the "need" or if the situational awareness requires a bump in status, but ugly things can happen anywhere and anytime, I will take a roll of the dice for the moment of life that very likely will not happen.

I've owned homes for over 30 years without having a house fire... yet I still have homeowners insurance.
    I've gone 60 years without a major surgery or medical issue... yet I still have health insurance.

Some say that it would be better off to put the $140-$500 a year away and if you need a lawyer you will have the money - self-insured. If I put away $250/yr for 30 years I would have $7,500 (assuming I didn't blow it all taking the kids to Disney World). Try funding a criminal defense, or even making a large bail, with $7,500.

Insurance is protection against the unlikely and unexpected. I sleep better at night knowing I have it.

(Lancaster County)

While I agree with your thoughts, the odds are far greater having a house fire or health issues than ever being in an armed confrontation, and being sued due to that confrontation, (if it was a justifiable shot)

We just had a discussion about being forced to purchase insurance to operate ATV's on land other than your own. All's I'm saying if this trend gets more popular, the Insurance companies will lobby to make it a requirement to apply for an LCTF if they smell money, do we all want that to happen ?

I have been riding Motorcycles for 35 years without a scratch, and I often take my helmet off. I'm an adult and understand the consequences of my actions, along with carrying a firearm

Quote Originally Posted by Pittsburgh Pete View Post
    I have been checking out these plans too.

My question is that on the plans that provide attorneys, the ones I am seeing in my area aren't exactly the varsity. I haven't heard of any of them, they seem like single attorney practices that may try a criminal case a couple of times a year, if at all. I have dealt with law firms for about the last 25 years in my job around Pittsburgh, and I don't see any of the heavy hitters, or even the middle to small size ones on these plans.

So my question is, do you take a plan with a free sub-par attorney, or just save your money and burn investments, mortgage your house etc. to buy the best possible defense you can afford if, God forbid, you need it ?

I did see Gunlawyer on one of these plans, which would be good for you guys on the eastern end of the state. I'd like to hear his opinion on this.

Do these plans reimburse whatever counsel you chose, or do you have to go with one of theirs in order to get reimbursed ?
    I'm on one of these? That would be news to me. My name gets bandied around as a decent firearms lawyer, but nobody's paying me a stipend to be available to any of these plans.

I don't much like any of the plans that I've seen. The NRA does appear to only reimburse you if you manage to win, which is a little like the fire department showing up only if you manage to put the fire out with your garden hose.

On the other hand, the plans that claim "we're not insurance, you pay us an annual retainer", start off looking like a scam, because they don't want to be regulated as "insurance". They provide "a lawyer", the way an HMO provides "a doctor". Maybe you want a lawyer who's handled and won your kind of case before; no matter, you get "someone who passed the bar exam". If that lawyer shows up and has to ask you "what's a you-eff-eh?" or says "if you have a license then you must carry concealed", you're free to use another lawyer as long as you're willing to pay his fees by yourself.

When you go to buy a 9mm pistol, does it matter to you which pistol it is, what the reviews are like? Or are you willing to go to a store, hand them $600 and purchase whatever they have in the plain brown box?

Lawyers aren't fungible, and from what I've seen, national networks are primarily devoted to making money, not doing quality work. If your network holds "seminars" that look like Amway sales pitches, or uses Burger King as it's franchising model, you may want to look elsewhere for your legal products.
    Attorney Phil Kline, AKA gunlawyer001@gmail.com
    Ce sac n'est pas un jouet.

(Berks County)

You bring up some great points. I was going to get a policy of some sort but now you are making me think.

I have Joshua's card in my wallet. He doesn't know that but he is the closest to me location wise and would be my 2nd call after 911. That's the only insurance I have now. ;-)
    Gunowner99 - NRA Benefactor Life Member

(Pike County)

Thanks to the NRA, Dana Loesch, and the Carry Guard marketing blitz, I am finally thinking about self defense insurance. Some say it's a waste of money, but I've always believed in insuring against a risk I don't want to expose myself to. I've narrowed my options down to Carry Guard and USCCA. They both seem very similar, with the major exception that CG provides criminal defense reimbursement after the fact, while USCCA provides benefits up front. While CG is an individual policy, USCCA is group insurance, I don't think this is an important difference. Also, I am very bothered by what I have read about the NRA dis-inviting USCCA and Second Call Defense from their annual meeting just as they were launching Carry Guard. I am leaning toward going with USCCA. Does anyone have anything bad to say about them?

Quote Originally Posted by vaccaro View Post
    Thanks to the NRA, Dana Loesch, and the Carry Guard marketing blitz, I am finally thinking about self defense insurance. Some say it's a waste of money, but I've always believed in insuring against a risk I don't want to expose myself to. I've narrowed my options down to Carry Guard and USCCA. They both seem very similar, with the major exception that CG provides criminal defense reimbursement after the fact, while USCCA provides benefits up front. While CG is an individual policy, USCCA is group insurance, I don't think this is an important difference. Also, I am very bothered by what I have read about the NRA dis-inviting USCCA and Second Call Defense from their annual meeting just as they were launching Carry Guard. I am leaning toward going with USCCA. Does anyone have anything bad to say about them?
    There is also info and a comparison in this thread.

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t=324391

I have USCCA's platinum option, I think it's called. 30$ and change a month. Glad I have it, hope I never have to use it.

TB605

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast